Registered
387 Posts
yes they will fit and the should look great! go for it

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi omar!

i've been good. sorry about not making it to any of the other meets, but work's been keeping me busy.

yup i bought the rims. just ordered the tires (had to wait for the sale), and hopefully they'll be on the car by the weekend.

i got around to polishing my headlights by the way. i think i did a decent job LOL!

ricky

did you end up buying those rims ricky? how you been man!?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Nice purchase on those SSR wheels! I wanted those too :)

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I missed this thread somehow, but damn Ricky those are hot. Perfect size for AutoX/Road Racing too. derekb is a legend of .net way back, so cool that you picked those up.

235/40/17 would probaby fit too, and that is the exact setup of Team Lexus and AndrewW race car (17X8 with 235/40/17 all around).

Looking forward to the pics!

Reactions: AlleyKat

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi al-

rims and tires are on the car, but it's too dark for photos. plus my car is filthy...

they look good, except the stickers bother me :suspiciou. the fronts stick out a bit (38+ offset at work), but i can get used to the look. the guys at the shop (literally the name of the place that installed my tires) liked the rims and gave props to the sportcross.

as rich said about his car, the rears now look small with tires that are the same diameter as the fronts. at least i can rotate them, which was the major goal of buying new rims since this is my daily driver. i think i might go for the mudguards since the tires now stick out quite a bit.

initial impression of the bridgestone RE960 PP is that they're quiter than the stock RE040's, and the ride is a bit smoother. not sure about the grip as i had the old tires in the car and didn't want to fling the car around :erm: the shop recommended an alightment as the fronts wore out the edges unevenly, so that's something for me to do next time.

i got chrome mcgard splines with locking nuts. the spline is a neat idea, but the locking nut might be overkill as you have to carry two keys. plus i still have to carry the older lugnuts for the factory spare. the socket for the spline nuts feels really thin and flimsy, surprising for a mcgard product.

derek is a nice guy. i didn't realize who i bought the rims from until my brother (who knows derek from a subaru forum) told me. 235's would be just too wide for me :) and i'm sure my brother would love to take my car on the track!

i'll be out of town this weekend, so pix will have to wait until next week or so. again, my apologies.

ricky

I missed this thread somehow, but damn Ricky those are hot. Perfect size for AutoX/Road Racing too. derekb is a legend of .net way back, so cool that you picked those up.

235/40/17 would probaby fit too, and that is the exact setup of Team Lexus and AndrewW race car (17X8 with 235/40/17 all around).

Looking forward to the pics!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
ricky:
congrats on getting it all together, i heard it was a longer process than anticipated.
can't wait to see pics. now to research how to take off the decals w/o
damage to the paint.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Looking forward to the pics. Drop it, I bet it won't stick out anymore.

I took my blue WORK stickers off with a plastic putty knife.

Stealth mod y0!

Ricky, not too add one more thing to you lug nut kit, but my shop recommended buying an additional "spline" socket in case it breaks out on the road, so now I have two sockets. $10 bucks on ebay.

·
Registered
326 Posts
hi rich-

i'll take some pix and photoshop the stickers for comparison. i just can't believe that there are three of them on the rim...talk about overkill :suspiciou

can't wait to see pics. now to research how to take off the decals w/o
damage to the paint.

hi al-

i wish i could afford to drop them, but there are other, more pressing expenses (long lenses are expensive ;) ). i agree about stealth, i've never really been one to rice out my car.

thanks for the advice on the socket. i'll hunt around for one on ebay as backup.

ricky

Looking forward to the pics. Drop it, I bet it won't stick out anymore.

I took my blue WORK stickers off with a plastic putty knife.

Stealth mod y0!

Ricky, not too add one more thing to you lug nut kit, but my shop recommended buying an additional "spline" socket in case it breaks out on the road, so now I have two sockets. $10 bucks on ebay.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I hear you on that, I want a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, but I have a hard time justifing the cost right now, and it is only $350.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Except I'm Canon baby!

The Canon version of the Tammy is $1,000! F that, I'm a hobbyist, if I was getting paid to take photos then of course, but optically the are equal.

With the tammy you lose IS, FTM, and USM, but other than that equal. Not worth the $700 difference to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts