Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
man Ive thinking doing that for a long time, I have a set of stock 5 spoke and a set of sport design, I am thinking painting the SD graphite, can you post more detail procedures and materials ? thanks a ton

·
Banned
3,243 Posts
came out really good

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
man Ive thinking doing that for a long time, I have a set of stock 5 spoke and a set of sport design, I am thinking painting the SD graphite, can you post more detail procedures and materials ? thanks a ton
Sure, but have to wait till sunday. I have school Mon-Sat and work. Only day free is sunday. So I'll do a step by step instruction while painting and repairing a curb rash on another rim.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
What did you use to fill in the scratches?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nice work +Rep

Edit: Or not, must spread the love before repping you again.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
looks good! the more i see ppl paint their rims, the more i want to do them ;) did you get any over-spray on the tires or is that just dust from sanding them? how would one go about to remove over-spray on the tires? (brake fluid?)

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Holy crap! Very nice job! I have major road and curb rashes on my Graphite wheels too! Looks great what you have done...hope to see it in person at the meet! +Rep for sure for being creative!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice, now paint them Bronze!
I don't want to paint them bronze because it won't go with MSM. I personally like the graphite color better.

looks good! the more i see ppl paint their rims, the more i want to do them ;) did you get any over-spray on the tires or is that just dust from sanding them? how would one go about to remove over-spray on the tires? (brake fluid?)
That's not overspray. As you can see in the other picture, the wheel was completely taped up with painters paint. The wheel is just dirty.

Are you going to have issues with the bondo? I'm not sure if it'll hold up to the abuse wheels usually take on roads. It looks clean though.

+rep.
I'm not sure about this. I've read somewhere that that is the way to repair the rim though. I've heard it holds up very well as long as everything is done correctly.

very nice. How many coats did you spray on that pic? How long was the process?
That picture was only two coats. The paint is very thick so covered very nicely with just two coats.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I did that same setup with my OEM wheels from mu DC2..came out very clean as well! looked almost as if they were powder coated!:) Nice job again!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally completed the paint on all 5 rims including the spare. Now i'm thinking should I put on clearcoat to protect the rims better. Any suggestion. I like the look without the clear but someone told me that the clear doesn't really shine much if you do really thin layers. Is that true?

·
Registered
194 Posts
my frd did 3 thin layer clear coating on his subaru, didnt turn out too shinny at all , man great job, now i want to do it on my SD !!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts