Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a year of flawless driving on my wheels, I hit a cement block in a construction area around my school. I thought would be worse, but it is still bad. Is it possible for a repair shop to add material to the wheel? Or will I have to purchase a new one? Basically, it is a 1in by about a .5 in chunk missing from my lip, there is a small bend where the piece was ripped off, but not too bad, it sucks though. So, can material be added? It is painted, not polished, they are the AVS Model V wheels. Or am I out of luck? What cost would I be looking at? I think Discount Tire uses a company, I will probably go by later, I dont have time right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
That sucks bro. I feel your pain, Boston roads are filled with construction. A few weeks ago I had to take a detour, just my luck the road was stripped of pavement, the manhole covers were exposed and raised about 1.5", and it was pot hole heaven. I was able to dodge multiple pot holes but the manhole cover got me and scraped the lip of my rear rim.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
it can be fixed. i curbed my rim (advan kreuzer V) and took out a chunk of it along with some paint. i took it to Wheels America here in houston and got it fixed. Looks brand new, paint matches and everything. i also had one bent rim that they fixed as well. cost about 100 a wheel, not that cheap but way cheaper and time effective than ordering another rim from Japan. look it up on google, wheels america. maybe they have one near you. oh yeah, i think their work is lifetime warrantied.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shinto said:
it can be fixed. i curbed my rim (advan kreuzer V) and took out a chunk of it along with some paint. i took it to Wheels America here in houston and got it fixed. Looks brand new, paint matches and everything. i also had one bent rim that they fixed as well. cost about 100 a wheel, not that cheap but way cheaper and time effective than ordering another rim from Japan. look it up on google, wheels america. maybe they have one near you. oh yeah, i think their work is lifetime warrantied.
That is good to hear man, I will look them up, I went by discount tire and they said it was unfixable, I will post a pic of mine, basically, was yours like I descibed? about a inch long, jagged, and missing a piece of the rim? There are no wheel america's close to me, so I may have to take a trip.

lambchop, I know what you mean, i thought I was in the clear, then all of the sudden, bam!, I did not want to get out and look, so I waited till I arrived to my destination, and it looked like shiet. :whine:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
basically mine was jagged edged with a chunk of missing rim lip. probly more than an inch long... i was coming out of the atm drive thru and took the turn too sharp and focked up my rim. i should of taken a pic of it... but yea, it's pretty much like yours.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shinto said:
basically mine was jagged edged with a chunk of missing rim lip. probly more than an inch long... i was coming out of the atm drive thru and took the turn too sharp and focked up my rim. i should of taken a pic of it... but yea, it's pretty much like yours.
Alright, I just called them up, there is a place in San Antonio, I dont know if I should take it myself, or let Discount send it, they dont think it can be fixed, but from how you are describing yours, it is the same. How long did it take to get fixed? It still looks good? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
VVTIS said:
shinto said:
Alright, I just called them up, there is a place in San Antonio, I dont know if I should take it myself, or let Discount send it, they dont think it can be fixed, but from how you are describing yours, it is the same. How long did it take to get fixed? It still looks good? Thanks again.
well, from the sounds of it, it seems like your damage is just like mine was. possibly on a safer note, maybe you should take pix of it and see if they can look at it thru email or whatever before you go thru the trouble of sending it off to them.

it took a few days to fix. it looks pretty much brand new. i mean, this is a cheap alternative to buying a brand new rim. might as well give it a try before you go buy another one. the rim does look good, i shoulda got all my rims done since i have some rashes on my other two wheels, but they're not THAT bad so i decided to fix the worst ones. good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.