Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

My 2002 IS300 rear speaker just started making noise tonight.

The noise is a resonance sort of sound, a buzz that accents frequencies in the human voice range mostly. When the pitch is right, it sounds like someone is talking through a kazoo.

I am wondering if one of the diaphrams is torn or something to the lie. I remember reading on the site that they are three-way. Perhaps one of the diaphrams is torn?

I tried listening closely to the speaker (fader and balance adjusted for it alone) at low volumes. I can't quite hear the problem. It does get progressively worse with higher volumes. Also, when I press on the grill, it seems to get better but doesn't totally go away. I don't have anything on my back deck that might be causing the problem. I also turned the power off and on for the car to try to rule out something temporary.

Maybe the harsh Southwestern sun got to it? For the last several years, I have been covering the back headrests and speakers with a towel to help reduce the wear on the leather and diaphrams.

I wanted to get some ideas before I tore into the deck. From the postings, it seems involved.

Thanks,

Super Sedan

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
two suggestions
1. go to the trunk and look up at the speakers those are 6x9 "subs" look at the surround (the foam piece that allows the speaker to move up and down) and see if its got any tears or is cracking if not then it could be the speaker on top of the 6x9.
2. it could be the metal on the rear deck causing a vibration sound. i know sometimes i can hear it in my car..

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
^I'm with him. I think it's a vibration issue if it stops when you push on it.

I'd also ask if you broke your rear windshield recently because I know when that happened to me I got glass in there and that caused mine to rattle. Long shot but it happened to me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unintended Speaker Noise

^I'm with him. I think it's a vibration issue if it stops when you push on it.

I'd also ask if you broke your rear windshield recently because I know when that happened to me I got glass in there and that caused mine to rattle. Long shot but it happened to me.
The little robots from "Batteries Not Included" didn't seem to fix my speaker last night as I slept. I still suffer from USN (Unintended Speaker Noise).

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. The noise seems to get a little better but doesn't totally go away when I press on the grill. I'll definitely take a better look at the foam underneath. I think I'll also call up the dealership to see how much I can get a new speaker.

Oh, and no broken rear windshield.

Bad audio "luck". For me, it would be 4 decks from CD Error #3 and a speaker. Uggh. At least the first two decks were gratis (under warranty) and the last 2 Lexus Corporation agreed to go half with me.

BTW, not that it really matters, it's my rear left speaker rather than the right. I spent too much time last night facing backward.

Super Sedan

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
so if you dont drive in reverse you shouldnt hear it. lol that sucks about all the stereo problems your having. i would recommend buying a used set on here before asking the dealer. < rip off.
also you could fade it all the way forward if its still doing it then you know its a vibration issue or the "sub" is bad. the "subs" play even when you fade it forward and the mid driver stops playing.

oh and i havnt seen batteries not included in a really long time.
that and short circuit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.