Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Flame suit on] How much performance will I lose if I swap out the 17's for all season 16's? [Flame suit off]

Even on highway, driving over expansion joints and less than perfect road results in pretty choppy ride. How do others feel?

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by Petey00:
[Flame suit on] How much performance will I lose if I swap out the 17's for all season 16's? [Flame suit off]

Even on highway, driving over expansion joints and less than perfect road results in pretty choppy ride. How do others feel?
Honestly, not much. I test drove the IS w/ 17" and bought w/ the 16" and notice little difference in terms of performance. ALl the people who ride in my car can attest to this, or maybe I should just take some photos of the nail gouges in my "holy-$hit" handles. The difference is not enough to worry about unless you're putting your car on a track to race.

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: s0yb0mb ]

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Did you try checking your tire pressure.....
this might help some, they should be at 33PSI i believe (dont quote me)

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Pick up a nice set of aftermarket 16's and put some all-season ultra performance tires on them. The car will still handle really well, but it will not look near as good.(My opinion) I am using a set of 16's for winter use. You can really tell that their is that extra inch of rubber mounted there. Remember it is only worth it if you feel its worth it. If you think the 17" are rough on some roads try a set of 18" of 19"!! They may look awesome and the car must corner unbeleivably, but I still prefer my Martini stirred not shaken!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies
I'll check the tire pressure tonight to make sure it's at 33 psi.

s0yb0mb:

Are do you like the ride of your vehicle?

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
You may actually feel a bit of a performance upgrade when/if you switch to 16's. The reason is that 1) they weigh less, and 2) the radius of the wheel is smaller, bringing the wheel mass closer to the center of rotation (which exponentially increases/decreases the amount of power required for one full rotation of the wheel). Larger wheels are a common power-robber for low-torque cars like my lil' Civic, but it may not have the same feelable effects on the IS since it doubles me in torque.

Of course they don't *look* as good... IMO. =)

·
Registered
30,635 Posts

s0yb0mb:

Are do you like the ride of your vehicle?
I like it. I go from here to Vermont almost every weekend (yes, I'm still skiing in May!) and do some dirt road driving so I couldn't see myself getting the 17" and risk bending or ruining the wheels. The ride quality is better but I assume that depends on the tire. Performance loss is a non-issue, I haven't noticed much.

·
Registered
571 Posts
if you guys have doubts about riding on 17's, then just step right in and get into my 98 GSR with 17's lowered.

Personally, the GSR's ride is not all that bad and actually pretty good considering my mods, but compared to an IS300 with 17's, the IS ride is super Suweeettt.

I guess it all depends on what you're used to. I'll probably still love the IS's ride once I slap on 18s.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: checked the tire pressure last night, it was around 38 psi after about 3 minutes of driving to the gas station. I lowered it to about 35 and I feel the ride is a bit more supple.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I used 16s for winter driving and I think there was a huge difference going back to the stock 17s once the nice weather came back. The car just handles that much better with the 17s on.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Update: checked the tire pressure last night, it was around 38 psi after about 3 minutes of driving to the gas station. I lowered it to about 35 and I feel the ride is a bit more supple.
I knew it......my dealer put in about 38psi and i could feel driving over a damn penny!
tire pressure really makes a difference

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Check it cold, not after 3 minutes on the road. But yes, 5 psi overinflation will cause a harsher ride.

·
11,061 Posts
Damn fools at Lexus put 40 lbs. in mine last time I was in. I was trying to figure out why the ride was so rough... I did complain to them once I figured out what was wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts