Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and got 37 pages of what I wasn't looking for, so I thought I post this question. To those that have 19" wheels, how much of a difference was the ride quality?? I know for the most part it is not like stock, and you have to be somewhat a little more careful with bigger rims. I guess I just want to know the pros and cons of plus sizing. Any advice or comments are welcomed. Thanks! 8)

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
hex75 said:
I did a search and got 37 pages of what I wasn't looking for, so I thought I post this question. To those that have 19" wheels, how much of a difference was the ride quality?? I know for the most part it is not like stock, and you have to be somewhat a little more careful with bigger rims. I guess I just want to know the pros and cons of plus sizing. Any advice or comments are welcomed. Thanks! 8)
I can only speak from my experience. My ride quality suffered a bit. There's more road noise. I have to be a bit more careful around unfamilar areas because it sucks hitting a pothole really hard. If I could do it all over again, I'd get 18s.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Any others?!?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
A +2 increase will definately be a lot harsher than the stockies on such a small car.....but I'm sure you can deal with it.

I can't speak from experience on the IS specifically, but my friend's Mercedes E320 which went +3 to 19's is definately harder and a pain to drive around for long trips, and the +2 increase on our S320 to 18's was barely noticeable.

Larger wheels are more prone to bending from potholes (and probably more curb rash), but I think the biggest con would be the price of tires. With 19's, slow down before every small dip and rise, even if it pisses off the people behind you.

edit: if you go indo-style watch out for u-turns as well

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice, really helps out. :chill:

·
Registered
246 Posts
i have 18x7.5 in the front and 19x9.5 out back. ive had them for only a day or two, but i cant feel much of a difference even though im 2 inches low. and i live in a city/town where there are more potholes than people

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
SeXiLeXi said:
i have 18x7.5 in the front and 19x9.5 out back. ive had them for only a day or two, but i cant feel much of a difference even though im 2 inches low. and i live in a city/town where there are more potholes than people
are you comin to the meet. A bunch of us wanna see your car.
Check the north-east forum.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
19s......umm, if I could do it all over again, I'd go with 18s. If you get 19s,definitely spend the money on really good rims because the cheap 19s (like mine) will bend really easy.

Its nice to say that you'll drive safe and avoid all potholes, but sometimes thats not possible. for instance I was driving the other night, reached over to grab my celly, and BANG, nailed a pothole and bent a friggin rim.

Also, around here the roads suck, and its kinda annoying evertime you hit a small bump because its a lot more rough than with the 17s.

And for the person that has a shake in the steering wheel, one of your rims is most likely bent. Mine does this. I tried to balance them the other week, but it didn't help so much. I guess it all depends on how bent your rim is.

On the other hand, 19s do look friggin sweet.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
are you comin to the meet thrizzy?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
De,
not too sure. My father had to leave town last minute and needs me to dog sit his bulldog. I fear leaving her alone in my house because she might eat my iguana. :eek: If I can figure something out I'll swing by. Can you PM me some directions, I'm coming from Woburn.

later

·
13,978 Posts
isthrizzy said:
De,
not too sure. My father had to leave town last minute and needs me to dog sit his bulldog. I fear leaving her alone in my house because she might eat my iguana. :eek: If I can figure something out I'll swing by. Can you PM me some directions, I'm coming from Woburn.

later
just bring your bulldog along. :D

·
$lores amongst us!
10,974 Posts
BUMP this thread cause Im about to get some 19's, but need more input.

·
$lores amongst us!
10,974 Posts
Anybody?

Will I need to have the speedo adjusted with 19's.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts