Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The long block is built - all the nice parts are internal now.

I'm still on hold for a clutch - My "good deal" used Tilton triple carbon clutch pack has been evaluated at the factory and has been deemed to be at "the end of its life" - not rebuildable. To the .is member that sold this to me, all I can say is shame on both of us - You for misrepresenting the condition/taking my money, and me for stupidly not checking beforehand and trusting you. You know who you are.

I have a line on a lightly used clutch pack (the same triple pack from a Porsche setup- all I will need to do is change the drive hub) and will be working on getting this in the next few days so I can get on with the project. I think with the heavier Tilton flywheel, improved low-end from the stroker, and mild cams I can get good street mileage from the Tilton.

I have a Koyo aluminum radiator and one of those trick SRT billet dual pump hangers to complete the project - I am really crazy to get on with this!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well,

I finally got my clutch about 2 months ago and have the engine in the car. I got a bad case of "while I'm at it" and cleaned up a number of things on the car, such as eliminating all the unused dangling connectors in the stock engine harness and redoing the fuel lines along with cleaning up some of the POs' work that was not up to my standards.

I have extended the wiring for the Haltech interface to the area near the clutch master, where I will connect the PS2000 in a junction box for easy access.

Right now I'm building a 3" stainless exhaust that utilizes 2 straight-through Magnaflow muffs - And still have to install my SRT dual pump hanger in place of the modified stocker that's in there now. After those are done it will be time for engine management.

I am experimenting with LS2 truck coils (with built-in igniters) modified to mount directly onto the plugs - Looking for good results as those things are real flame throwers and have been used with good success on LSX V8 turbo engines. A custom coil cover is in the works.

A J&S Safeguard is on hand and will be installed with the Haltech.

I'm really anxious to see how my stroker combo works out - 3.4L, HKS 264s,
T72TBB, Haltech PS2000, 1000cc injectors.

Spare time is very short these days, and progress is agonizingly slow, but I'm almost there. Updates coming.

·
Registered
503 Posts
looking good Rick! I'm having a blast with my GS300 that you built, so much fun to blow the doors off C6's and GT500's with a big heavy 4 door Lexus. My "I love Corvettes they Taste Like Chicken" license plate frame hooks them every time lol...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It Lives!

Fired up the new engine http://my.is/forums/f114/engine-under-construction-396034/ today, did some initial tuning and got the car back on its wheels. First drive and street tuning will be Thursday.

The 3.4 stroker definitely has a deeper exhaust note than the 3.0, and damn that Tilton 3-C clutch makes mega racket!

Pictures and driving impressions coming.

I probably need to do a build thread as I have redone lotso stuff since acquiring this car.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
How much do you think it cost to get the parts and do the stroker upgrade itself?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Very nice. Bout how much did it cost you to do a 3.4 stroker if you dont' mind me asking?

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Very nice. Bout how much did it cost you to do a 3.4 stroker if you dont' mind me asking?
in his build thread he mentioned the parts were over 3k.

The kit, consisting of the crank and pistons/w pins, locks, and all the piston machine work (pin fit, oiler holes, etc, was $2500.00. Remember, this is without rods - I shopped for a set of 850.00 BC pieces, bringing the total to 3350. I supplied the core for the crank and an old piston, gave them a mold of my combustion chamber, and specified what C.R. to build to. This crank and piston set is made to work with stock length rods.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just back from a weekend trip - Thursday on the first drive the A/C compressor pulley came partially off (looks like the bearing burned up) , shredding the belt. Need to get another compressor Monday and begin replacement , not an easy job in that crowded engine compartment.

I drank enough this weekend (went to St Augustine for some relaxation time)to temporarily forget the frustration. Always something with this car...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Can we possibly have any more info on the Coil setup?
They are the famous LS2 "truck" coils with built-in igniters and visible heat sinks on the top. After buying two sets of used Supra coils and finding half of them cracked, I looked for a different (more powerful/more durable) setup. Supra guys are replacing thier coils frequently, at 4-500.00 a set. And I don't need the HK$ DLI.

I bought the set of 8 new LS2 coils with harness on ebay for ~150.00.

I removed the brackets holding the LS2 coils together in groups of 4 and built 3 brackets to mount the coils in pairs directly onto the 2J head/plugs. I removed the rubber plug boots and interior plug contact springs from the (bad) Supra coils and used them to make the GM coils fit coil on plug. I then separated and rewired the GM harness for my application.You can see the setup in the picture earlier in this thread - I'll post some pictures of the brackets and coil mods a little later.

These coils' igniters work just fine with my Haltech PS2000 (use the same settings as the Haltech/Bosch igniters) , and I suspect most aftermarket ECUs will fire them. They work with a positive pulse, firing on the falling edge. I'm pretty sure that they will work with either 5 and 12 volt pulses in - Haltech is 5v...Dwell time can be set to 4 ms or so.

My setup uses direct fire, but to do a waste spark setup you can use 6 coils and pair their inputs from 3 coil drivers, ie, 1&6, 2&5, 3&4. I know this works well as I have done waste spark using these coils driven in pairs on a turbo
LS1 motor.

21 - 40 of 175 Posts