Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Engine under construction

Well, about 4 months ago I had just installed my Comp Turbo BB T72 and was out tuning when the engine apparently was locked up when starting was attempted. I naturally assumed I had broken a piston or something, and proceeded to start getting the pieces together for a much stronger engine.

The "blown" engine is the Lexus stocker with GTE internals and HKS 264 Cams, and never gave a symptom of distress until now.

OK, as is my habit, I always come back stronger from a disaster. I immediately ordered a 3.4 L stroker kit from PAECO, and collected the parts pictured below. It was a while before I actually got around to pulling the engine, and I found...perfectly good internals and a dowel pin fallen out of the flywheel, landing in a place that locked the engine up.

Oh well, too late to turn back now. I just feel a need to post some pictures of my cool parts before they are hidden:

Venolia Forged Turbo pistons, Coated

Bryan Crower Pro H-BeamRods

This is a welded stroker crank, 94MM

Ferrea severe duty valves and Bryan Crower Springs

The head has 1mm oversize valves, lightly ported and 3 angle valve job

Tilton triple carbon clutch, 12 pound flywheel, and hydraulic throwout

·
Registered
517 Posts
Me likes....staying with 264's? Are you going to use a modded TT oil pump? Good stuff!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me likes....staying with 264's? Are you going to use a modded TT oil pump? Good stuff!
I do have the modded pump, but really don't think I needed it as I don't have the GTE's piston oil squirters (I'm using a GE block) to bleed pressure.

I considered 272s - I'm liking how Adamgamz's car works with those 272s - but decided to stay with the smaller cams to keep the increased torque from the 3.4 stroker in a lower RPM range, also try to spool my T72 faster.

I'm also going to a Haltech Platinum sport 2000 (from the TEC3) with 1000cc injectors (from my current 710s) after setting up Adam's car with the same combo. I like everything about how that car came out except for a somewhat lazy spool with his PTE T74.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Wow that is going to be insane man! Cant wait to see it up and running...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I just looked up the prices of the PAECO stroker kit. Looks much more affordable than the BC or HKS strokers. Would you mind telling us how much it cost?

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
good luck on the build Rick...keep us posted!! :approve:

-Marc

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked up the prices of the PAECO stroker kit. Looks much more affordable than the BC or HKS strokers. Would you mind telling us how much it cost?
The kit, consisting of the crank and pistons/w pins, locks, and all the piston machine work (pin fit, oiler holes, etc, was $2500.00. Remember, this is without rods - I shopped for a set of 850.00 BC pieces, bringing the total to 3350. I supplied the core for the crank and an old piston, gave them a mold of my combustion chamber, and specified what C.R. to build to. This crank and piston set is made to work with stock length rods.

The HKS and BC kits are stupid expensive - whether a billet 2J crank is worth all that extra money remains to be seen.

PAECO claims their welded stroker cranks are stronger than stockers ( a prettty strong claim considering the toughness of the 2J piece) and will replace any broken or failed crank, even if used in competition. Back in my SCCA days, PAECO cranks virtually eliminated the crank breakage that we experienced with the old straight six Z-car engines (with their non-fully counterweighted cranks) that were revved almost to 8000 rpm. I specifically asked about durability and warranty for a stout turbo 2J, and they said no prob. We shall see.

Marc, I'll definitely be keeping you guys posted with results.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doing preliminaries - setting ring gaps (2 of the supplied rings were the wrong size and I have to wait for replacements), clearancing the teflon pin buttons, will install/mock up the crankshaft today and find out whether or not the block need to be clearanced for the longer stroke (hope not). Pretty tedious work at this point.

Rant: About 50% of everything I buy these days is bad as received (like the rings) and needs to be returned for replacement/ correction. I'm damn tired of it and the delays caused.

·
Registered
503 Posts
looks great Rick, this is probably in my future as well.

You guys with IS's down here in Florida need to meet Rick if you haven't already, I've never had a tech when I had my shop Auto Tuner that was good with everything like Rick is. I had one guy that was good with electrical, one guy good at tuning, one guy good at mechanical work, etc. Ricks has the talent for the whole package, fabrication, engine building, tuning, installing stand alone's, also his labor rates are very fair. This guy is a true asset to the community.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aw shucks Adam.:blush:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey man.. just calling it like I see it! :)

I got the Vetronix Mastertech MTS3100 ordered with the Toyota / Lexus card adapter version 14.1, you can do everything the dealer does with this scanner including reprogramming car keys. That should be showing up at your door this week or early next week. My 6 speed transmission is here, and the OS Giken twin disk is on order, just need a driveshaft now! I'm going to have you swap trannys / clutches Rick if you're up to it since there is some welding involved on the driveshaft and the tripod.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the Vetronix Mastertech MTS3100 ordered with the Toyota / Lexus card adapter version 14.1, you can do everything the dealer does with this scanner including reprogramming car keys. That should be showing up at your door this week or early next week. .
Diagnostic Powah! - Should be able to get down to those pesky Lexus MPX problems with that.

We'll have to schedule some time for the V160 swap...The Damn "real" job has been kickin my butt lately.

Got my two missing rings in the mail today, crankshaft is installed and all clearances are good so far - Will install pistons/rods in the next couple days for clearance checks.

I just got around to checking my used Tilton clutch pack and found that it's in need of a rebuild - Tilton's rep put some scary numbers on me for what a rebuild "could" cost, although the low end of the range is quite reasonable. Estimate will come when they get my clutch.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
wow this thing is goning to be a beaassttt (not that it wasnt already). good luck with the build:approve:

looks great Rick, this is probably in my future as well.

You guys with IS's down here in Florida need to meet Rick if you haven't already, I've never had a tech when I had my shop Auto Tuner that was good with everything like Rick is. I had one guy that was good with electrical, one guy good at tuning, one guy good at mechanical work, etc. Ricks has the talent for the whole package, fabrication, engine building, tuning, installing stand alone's, also his labor rates are very fair. This guy is a true asset to the community.
defiantly need to do so one of these days. school is kickin my butt.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
hmmm...is Rick working on fixing the shuttle or his car?!??! haha :approve:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rick can you also program remotes?
The Mastertech and the software I have supposedly has that capability. I'm still learning how to use it - I'll update. I need to conquer the gremlins in Adam's car first, and then I may have more time on this.

The engine build is proceeding slowly and carefully. Crank, pistons ,and rods are in and all clearances check good. With this being my first "high power" build, I decided to torque the rod bolts using the stretch method rather than just torquing to a value. Using a stretch gauge, I found that the required torque varied by as much as 10-12 lb/ft around the spec'ed torque among the 12 bolts to reach the specified stretch. Tedious, but worth it for the peace of mind.

I stuck some modeling clay on the rod big ends and rotated the engine to check for rod/ block interference (with more than .25" longer stroke this is a concern). All good here - It sure looked like the rods were coming really close to hitting, but there's more than.125" clearance on all. I think the BC rods are a bit more compact than the GTE stockers, a good thing.

I don't have much spare time these days, but am looking forward to hanging the external stuff on the block and the whole thing looking more complete.

I found that my "bargain" used Tilton clutch pack needs a factory rebuild, so I'll have to wait for that to be done. Even so, I will have still saved a bunch of cash compared to the new price of the Tilton setup.

More to come.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmmm...is Rick working on fixing the shuttle or his car?!??! haha :approve:
Yeah Marc, I offered this motor to the Shuttle program but they said it may be a bit too much to handle;).

bigkahuna, you need to come by sometime.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Nice Rick, let me know what you think on my ECU, it sounds like t my main ECU is bad. My OS Giken twin disk movement alteration kit arrived at my door today, I'm ready to go on the V160 swap now. If you think we need that ecu let me know and I'll try to locate one.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts