Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did some research before I get the Tom's exhaust.
I know there isnt a lot of thread talking about this exhaust, therefore, I start this review.

I had the Tom's exhaust installed and used it for 400+ miles.

My Car is basically stock, except the TRD U.S.A. air fliter and Tom's exhaust.
No other engine mod.

I had HKS CF Ti and Blitz Nur Spec exhaust before the Tom's exhaust.
I dont really remember the performance on the HKS CF Ti, sorry man.

Tom's V.S. Blitz Nur Spec.

The Blitz is one of the most quiet exhaust for the IS300. I can say the Tom's is as quiet as/more quiet than the Blitz and it gives a much deeper and stronger note, plus no drone on the freeway.

The Blitz is quiet on low rpm, and I like it! Although it gives a hair dryer sound when it is on high rpm, in which I do not favour much. :blush:

The tom's is quiet in low rpm and high rpm. It's a little louder when it is in high rpm, but nothing crazy. It gives you a deep and strong note and it's still very quiet. No drone on the freeway.

I DEF feel a lot more low end power when I am on the street or freeway. The respond of the gas pedel is much more faster than before. (Due to the strong low end power.)
I really enjoy and LOVE the low end power that the Tom's exhaust give me.
On the other hand, I think I lose some high end power with the Tom's exhaust. I went up to 110mph on the freeway a couple times, and I did some 60 - 110 as well.
I somehow think that my highend is slower than before. Well, probably because I dont hear the hair dryer sound. LOL Sound effect.
The Tom's exhaust is VERY VERY quiet in low and high rpm.

I LOVE the low end power and the quiet sound that the Tom's exhaust gives me!!

Reactions: JayMarino

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Great review. I think its hard to really tell what kind of power you are gaining or losing without doing a dyno.
Becuase at times when it sounds like its louder, you think in your head that you are moving faster. When in reality, its about the same.
You can't notice a 5hp difference....and that's all you are really playn' with.
It would be nice to see a before and after dyno to compare numbers. But, at the end of the day, its really sound quality when it comes to exhausts...becuase if one yeilds a 5hp gain and one yeilds a 7hp gain, it really doesn't matter.

Reactions: nigellllll

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great review. I think its hard to really tell what kind of power you are gaining or losing without doing a dyno.
Becuase at times when it sounds like its louder, you think in your head that you are moving faster. When in reality, its about the same.
You can't notice a 5hp difference....and that's all you are really playn' with.
It would be nice to see a before and after dyno to compare numbers. But, at the end of the day, its really sound quality when it comes to exhausts...becuase if one yeilds a 5hp gain and one yeilds a 7hp gain, it really doesn't matter.
Yes, I agree that you dont feel that little hp gain.
The Tom's exhaust is more quiet than the Blitz in low & high rpm. I don think the more low end power feel is due to the sound of the exhaust note. It's really there I guess. Anyway, I love the feeling and the sound, no matter the low end power is there or not.:cool: +rep

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've never heard of Tom's exhaust... Where did you get it and how much? Oh yeah, nice review!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Like I mentioned before to you guys at the parking lot of Home Town Buffet, "You guys are the JDM Whores!" Lol! Thats cool nigelllllll, have read a lot about the TOM's too and was thinking of getting one and extending it like i did my JIC....but, then again, just get a JDM rear right? It's too much money! Lol, we'll see how it turns out, keep you posted man. Post pics when you get the chance.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never heard of Tom's exhaust... Where did you get it and how much? Oh yeah, nice review!
Like I mentioned before to you guys at the parking lot of Home Town Buffet, "You guys are the JDM Whores!" Lol! Thats cool nigelllllll, have read a lot about the TOM's too and was thinking of getting one and extending it like i did my JIC....but, then again, just get a JDM rear right? It's too much money! Lol, we'll see how it turns out, keep you posted man. Post pics when you get the chance.
I dont have any pictures myself. let's see if anyone in CA2K8 has some pictures of my cars.

haha, nah we are not jdm whores. ^^
Yeah, you get it! Just get the JDM Rear and call it a day. I know you are shocked the JDM Rear is that much shorter when you saw it yesterday.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Sorry, gotten used to typing that. Already seen the exhaust at the meet! Lol! Great looking exhaust man! I was looking at it back at the parking lot! Lol!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, gotten used to typing that. Already seen the exhaust at the meet! Lol! Great looking exhaust man! I was looking at it back at the parking lot! Lol!
haha, that's not a problem. :cool:

found one picture in the CA2K8 pictures thread.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
i think the Tom's gives him a much better throttle response in the low end .... 5whp is a not a day and night difference, but throttle response is something you can really notice

Tom's is not much louder than stock, but personally i like the look of the Tom's much better than stock, both the canister and the tip as both are nicely polished

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
bumpity bump

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I edited it out ;)
haha
you dont have to edit, it's all good man.

let me give you some hint: his jdm exhaust is listed on his signture.

Reactions: IS3_FTW

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
I repped the JDM GURU's

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
thanks boss... i was hoping its not too noticable haha

thanks deek!! jdm ftw!!

lol Mine is in my sig as well. Incognito style ;)

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
one more picture of the exhaust

1 - 20 of 25 Posts