Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my PFS exhaust a while ago after seeing some blurb about PFS being great with customer service as well as their high quality turbo products.
I was one of the first to buy the exhaust. Peter told me it was his first shipment of exhaust.

SHIPPING TIME
I received the exhaust in about 4 days. It was good to receive it so quickly. I'm sure I'm with the rest of you when I say I haven't had the best experiences with shipping time from tuners.

VISUAL REVIEW
The exhaust arrived in a well packaged large box filled with styrofoam nuts. Some of the nuts had gotten into the piping. It took a few minutes to clear that out of the muffler section. Don't wanna be burning nuts in there right?

The exhaust came clean, no scratches. Very impressive finish.

FITMENT REVIEW
I used the PFS on a completely stock exhaust system.

The exhaust just plain did not fit correctly at first.
When installed, the two middle hangers were off to one side. One of the hangers received the rubber hanger all the way in, pretty much touching the 3" pipe, whereas the other hanger barely fit through its own rubber hanger. To remedy this, I used a propane torch and heated the hanger...bent it so that it would fit properly.

The "can" of the exhaust did not sit right either. When looking from the rear of the car towards the front, the tip rubbed on the top of the bumper opening as well as the right. The remedy was to heat and bend both hangers upwards (to lower the tip) as well as one of the hangers off to one side to center the tip in the bumper opening.

At this point in time, I've dropped the exhaust off the car maybe 6 times to get it to fit right. I've decided to stop trying to bend the hangers to fit, but rather to adjust the plate that holds the rubber hangers on the car.

SOUND REVIEW
Loud. Rubly.
When driving NA, it will drone for a while until broken in.
I think it's pretty much the deepest exhaust I've heard on an IS. I've never heard the Greddy Evo, but I'm guessing it may be similar.
It definately gives the car a deep reverberating sound.
Deeper and throatier than some supra's.

SUMMARY:

Pro's:
PFS service
Fast ship time
Great finish
Great price compared to other 3"

Con's:
Fitment issues with 3 out of 4 hangers

Neutrals:
Noise may be a little too much for some people. Some may like it.
Peter said that my exhaust was one in his first batch of exhaust. That he will look into the fitment issues and try and resolve them in further batches of exhausts.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
i would like to comment too on this :D

got my pfs exhaust in recently and just looking over all the parts of my kit and exhaust. The exhaust itself looks, O.K. nothing to really brag about. Only the tip and face of the muffler have a nice polishied finish. the rest of the exhaust is just stainless steel.

I've noticed around the exhaust "cannister" muffler there seems to be indent-tations. Dont know if these are defect or just part of the design? not noticable only by close inspection.

The tip on the exhaust looks ah-ite but i noticed when i look through the tip into the muffler- the exhaust hole is NOT CO-CENTRIC about the tip. Again not noticable unless upon close inspection.

The welding of the muffler is ok. if the welding (ti/mig)was done by "man" it is very good, too bad it dosn't look robotic (the clean straight welds/ perfect lookin). If you ever seen a hks or greddy, the welds are real clean and infact nice lookin, but for some reason these pfs welds are for the most part good, but i guess expected more for this exhaust.

i haven't installed the exhaust yet, so no comments at this time about it.

I plan on powder or jet coating my pfs exhaust flat black anyways, so we'll see how that goes.

my two cents about this exhasut by looks, is its ah-ite but i expected a more. Guess cause of the minor "imperfections" when compared to other exhaust brands. But who knows after installing and listening to it, I may be so impressed that i overlook these minor issues

oh yeah i'll try to get some pics of the exhaust and things i mentioned

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
great review bro...

·
Registered
245 Posts
HappyJoy said:
I purchased my PFS exhaust a while ago after seeing some blurb about PFS being great with customer service as well as their high quality turbo products.
I was one of the first to buy the exhaust. Peter told me it was his first shipment of exhaust.

SHIPPING TIME
I received the exhaust in about 4 days. It was good to receive it so quickly. I'm sure I'm with the rest of you when I say I haven't had the best experiences with shipping time from tuners.

VISUAL REVIEW
The exhaust arrived in a well packaged large box filled with styrofoam nuts. Some of the nuts had gotten into the piping. It took a few minutes to clear that out of the muffler section. Don't wanna be burning nuts in there right?

The exhaust came clean, no scratches. Very impressive finish.

FITMENT REVIEW
I used the PFS on a completely stock exhaust system.

The exhaust just plain did not fit correctly at first.
When installed, the two middle hangers were off to one side. One of the hangers received the rubber hanger all the way in, pretty much touching the 3" pipe, whereas the other hanger barely fit through its own rubber hanger. To remedy this, I used a propane torch and heated the hanger...bent it so that it would fit properly.

The "can" of the exhaust did not sit right either. When looking from the rear of the car towards the front, the tip rubbed on the top of the bumper opening as well as the right. The remedy was to heat and bend both hangers upwards (to lower the tip) as well as one of the hangers off to one side to center the tip in the bumper opening.

At this point in time, I've dropped the exhaust off the car maybe 6 times to get it to fit right. I've decided to stop trying to bend the hangers to fit, but rather to adjust the plate that holds the rubber hangers on the car.

SOUND REVIEW
Loud. Rubly.
When driving NA, it will drone for a while until broken in.
I think it's pretty much the deepest exhaust I've heard on an IS. I've never heard the Greddy Evo, but I'm guessing it may be similar.
It definately gives the car a deep reverberating sound.
Deeper and throatier than some supra's.

SUMMARY:

Pro's:
PFS service
Fast ship time
Great finish
Great price compared to other 3"

Con's:
Fitment issues with 3 out of 4 hangers

Neutrals:
Noise may be a little too much for some people. Some may like it.
Peter said that my exhaust was one in his first batch of exhaust. That he will look into the fitment issues and try and resolve them in further batches of exhausts.

you are non turbo?????

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
I'd like to comment on the exhaust fitment as well...

...the two middle hangers do not fit on mine as well. However, the ones on the canister fit well. I need to bend the middle hangers so they fit...cause the pipe is hanging way too dangerously low.

In fact, my younger brother being driven around behind me told me he saw sparks fly under my car when I hit a bump. This was after I was coming back from an exhaust shop that welded the downpipe to the midpipe. So I'm jumping under the car in a few hours and I'm gonna try to raise everything.

With fitment..I can't say I'm happy at all. It was a terrible job by PFS and I can't imagine how they could make a mistake like this. Peter told me the exhaust was test fitted on several cars both NA, turbo (PFS turbo too).

I know of many people both NA and turbo (SRT, TBKO and PFS) that have these damn fitment problems. It's pretty annoying.

Oh well, i'll try to fix everything today. Very nice writeup! I def, agree with the sound, it's badass! 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts