Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had searched for a while for information on this exhaust, and what I found was scattered, so I decided to do a small write-up on the factory HKS Lexus exhaust that can be purchased and installed OEM. Lots of opinions with some facts - feel free to add your own impressions.

I bought my '07 IS350 in the spring and instantly was interested in the optional exhaust. First of all, the sound is completely different than the stock setup. At stock, you hardly hear any exhaust note, just motor. The exhaust is fairly quiet, however is louder than I was expecting it to be. Under normal operating conditions you can hardly hear it, but make the engine downshift during passing, and it is definitely noticable within the cabin (even with music turned up). I love the sound, it's deep without being intrusive. For an exhaust which appears to come to life at higher engine speeds, I was surprised that there was no drone on interstate cruising.

Appearance, IMHO, is top notch. I prefer the look of the traditional oval canister mufflers than the cylinder-shaped ones anyway, so that was a plus for me. The tips are larger than stock and appear to stick out a little farther too, which surprised me. I've seen a few others at the dealership and they all appear the same, so I know it isn't just my setup. I wish the tips were about 1/2 inch shorter, but it isn't anything to lose sleep over. I also lost that slight vibration we all had in our stock exhausts when I had this installed - they may use different hangers, I don't know. The welds are first rate too. Also, it is covered under warranty and should have no problems with those states with noise ordinances since it is an OEM part.

To me, the only downside with this part is what we would all expect - COST. It is pricey, to say the least. The cheapest one I've seen that's brand new is around $1100-$1200 uninstalled, which would place it in the super expensive category for exhausts. I think something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and in this case, it is overpriced. But I still like it.

As far as power goes - I don't have a dyno sheet so I can't prove anything. It doesn't necessarily feel faster to me, but the look and the sound are unmistakable.

That's all. Feel free to add your thoughts - sorry this ended up being so long.

·
Registered
51 Posts
nice i was thinking of getting the HKS myself (lexus gauges wayyyy too much for it)...i was wondering like...how would you compare the sound to a 350z? louder? deeper? the only thing i'm worried about is the HKS being a little too loud...which i dont like...i like it deep when driving normally and it'll bark if i gun it

thanks for your input!

oh: i was also considering the greddy/tanabe/borla...any thoughts on the loudness/sound of those?

-vince

·
Registered
83 Posts
From where I live, there's a guy who has an IS250 X-package with the OEM HKS exhaust installed. To me it sounded a bit deeper and lower in tone than the Nissan/Infiniti exhausts (350z for that matter). It's pretty quiet when you're driving around town but one day the owner revved it down the street and I could hear it from down the street IN a building but it wasn't obnoxious sounding at all, just this nice rev with a mid-deep tone. Loved it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From where I live, there's a guy who has an IS250 X-package with the OEM HKS exhaust installed. To me it sounded a bit deeper and lower in tone than the Nissan/Infiniti exhausts (350z for that matter). It's pretty quiet when you're driving around town but one day the owner revved it down the street and I could hear it from down the street IN a building but it wasn't obnoxious sounding at all, just this nice rev with a mid-deep tone. Loved it.
thanks for the input kuugi...i'm kinda steering away from tanabe because i hear that after like 3.5k rpm u dont even hear it anymore...which seems kind of a waste to me after spending that much money on it..the borla...i hear the build quality is questionable...i wish they had the HKS with the tanabe tips..i'd be sold already :p

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as sound goes, I think it's a bit deeper than the Nissan/Infinitis I've heard. At the same time, it may be slightly louder too, but not by much. I think it's what the car needs to sound (and look) like a 300+ HP sedan. And trust me, it's not a screaming, loud exhaust, but you'll know it's there.

I hear the Tanabe is nice, but I would stay away from the Borla and Greddy for the reasons stated above. I too have heard that there may be some quality issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice description.. i work at lexus and own a 350z, i can tell you the hks exhaust will totally drown out a z. thats only if its a stock z exhaust. as far as performance, its not a huge difference, but it makes it a lot more fun to drive... my only beef on the is350 still is the lack of a 6 speed, which by now you think lexus corporate would listen to the massive amounts of negative feedback on the tranny, but whatever, still a great car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ya i bought the HKS and it's sitting in my garage atm...but it's winter here...i'm gonna put it on in the spring :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
mine? no mine's not OEM from lexus...

dr. b's is tho :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
i was wondering if anyone had gotten a quote from their dealership for the cost of the hks exhaust and installation...

i know that i am able to purchase the hks exhaust at sewell lexus site for arounnd 1200$. thats the same exhaust the dealership sells right? correction itll be about 1080$ after the 15% discount code

my lexus dealership quoted me this. $1470exhaust and $105 for installation

i believe $ 1470 for the exhaust to totally ridiculous. so i asked if i were to buy the exhaust else where would i be able to get the installation done for 105$ and the service manager said yes. as soon as he said yes i had him sign off on the quote to gurantee i can get any exhaust installation done for 105$.. which i know is a great deal, plus lexus techs will be doing it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
i was wondering if anyone had gotten a quote from their dealership for the cost of the hks exhaust and installation...

i know that i am able to purchase the hks exhaust at sewell lexus site for arounnd 1100-1200$. thats the same exhaust the dealership sells right?

my lexus dealership quoted me this. $1470exhaust and $105 for installation

i believe $ 1470 for the exhaust to totally ridiculous. so i asked if i were to buy the exhaust else where would i be able to get the installation done for 105$ and the service manager said yes. as soon as he said yes i had him sign off on the quote to gurantee i can get any exhaust installation done for 105$.. which i know is a great deal, plus lexus techs will be doing it!
wow they are going to warrant ANY aftermarket exhaust??? that sounds sweet lol...if u get the hipower HKS it's gonna be like $525 USD...it's more expensive in canada =T i paid like $700 CDN for it...which is ok i guess...i dont like the look of the OEM from lexus..it sticks out too much...but then i wish my tips were smaller...but they arent driving me nuts :p

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as your dealer quote for the Lexus exhaust and installation, that is about right.

And yes, I too have seen it from Sewell for around $1100, and if you had your dealer install it for the price you got, then the exhaust and the labor would be warrantied. However, I think it would be common sense that Lexus wouldn't warranty a non-factory part, but they may cover the labor. So if you decided to buy a different exhaust but still elect to have them install it, Lexus may cover their labor on the installation but not the exhaust itself.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i have an 06 is350 with the oem hks exhaust. i bought the car used so i didnt pay for the exhaust. its really quiet but it has a nice little deep tone but not like the vq motors. the only thing i didnt like how it stuck out a little bit but i bought the oem lip kit. it looks so much better now with the kit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have an 06 is350 with the oem hks exhaust. i bought the car used so i didnt pay for the exhaust. its really quiet but it has a nice little deep tone but not like the vq motors. the only thing i didnt like how it stuck out a little bit but i bought the oem lip kit. it looks so much better now with the kit.
I completely agree with not liking it with the oem lip. But since i plan on getting the kit I don't mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts