Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had these tires installed about a week ago and wanted to post up first impressions of them since I really was not able to find any information on them. When I bought them I was torn in between the Neogens and BFGoodrich's GeForce KDW2's. I ultimately felt that the KDW2's tread pattern would be more at home on a 350Z than it would on the sport sedan/entry level luxury that I view my Lexus to be. For those not familiar with the tread pattern on the NeoGen's here is a pic.

In comparison to the stock RE92's (that were dry rotted when I got them) I have found that the ride is quieter, its more compliant, and handling is improved to such a degree that I would not have thought it to be achievable without more work done to the suspension. The RE92's could be spun easily on dry pavement without alot of use of the clutch on my LSD equipped 03 5spd. The NeoGens take effort to spin on slicked to very wet conditions and even when sliding provide very predictable thrust. Also, the Neogens are designed with a reinforced inner sidewall specifically for cambered cars. Even with my alignment after my drop, I am still running -1.5 degree's in the rear so that was a selling point for me. Also the price is on average about 30% less than the KDW2's. Overall, I am extremely pleased!

Tunerzine Short Review

Nitto's Website

Disclaimer: I did move from the 215/45R17 on the stock RE92's to 225/45R17 on the Neogen's using stock rims and Tein S-Tech springs with stock shocks. Thus far no rubbing issues after the first 1000 miles and a moderately loaded trunk.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I liked mine okay, but they were loud around 40mph. Could have been the size/suspension setup, though. They do have some pretty good all-weather traction.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Had them for a while, they are awful in snow. Almost summer tire awful. aside from that they are a good tire, with very even tread wear.

·
Registered
448 Posts
i had them as my 1st set of tires, i love em, they were just noisy everytime i took a corner past 25mph.. but other than that, in respect to the reason they were made, even camber wear, it was perfect.. just the noise at cornering

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had these tires installed about a week ago and wanted to post up first impressions of them since I really was not able to find any information on them. When I bought them I was torn in between the Neogens and BFGoodrich's GeForce KDW2's. I ultimately felt that the KDW2's tread pattern would be more at home on a 350Z than it would on the sport sedan/entry level luxury that I view my Lexus to be. For those not familiar with the tread pattern on the NeoGen's here is a pic.

In comparison to the stock RE92's (that were dry rotted when I got them) I have found that the ride is quieter, its more compliant, and handling is improved to such a degree that I would not have thought it to be achievable without more work done to the suspension. The RE92's could be spun easily on dry pavement without alot of use of the clutch on my LSD equipped 03 5spd. The NeoGens take effort to spin on slicked to very wet conditions and even when sliding provide very predictable thrust. Also, the Neogens are designed with a reinforced inner sidewall specifically for cambered cars. Even with my alignment after my drop, I am still running -1.5 degree's in the rear so that was a selling point for me. Also the price is on average about 30% less than the KDW2's. Overall, I am extremely pleased!

Tunerzine Short Review

Nitto's Website

Disclaimer: I did move from the 215/45R17 on the stock RE92's to 225/45R17 on the Neogen's using stock rims and Tein S-Tech springs with stock shocks. Thus far no rubbing issues after the first 1000 miles and a moderately loaded trunk.
You had these?

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bfg/bfg_gforce_ta_kdw2_ci1_l.jpg

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Very nice, has a lot of sipes for wet surfaces and will def last longer than my toyo T1Rs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
i've had neo gens in 16"s and overall they were okay tires, not the greatest but they served their purpose. noise wasn't that bad as well. thou from the sounds of it, you were comparing old beat up re92 tires to your brand new neo gens... not exactly a fair comparison there. new re92 tires are pretty decent as well. i'm pretty sure you would've got pretty good results from brand new re92 tires like you did with the neo gens.

as for the kdw2s i find them to be superior tires, the tread pattern isn't really an issue being as you barely see the tires tread pattern anyways. i personally like the unique pattern. besides chip foose gives it the okay :bigSmile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a question. is there a left and ride side to these Nittoe Neogen tires? i just got some and the driver side are going a different pattern from the passanger side...just trying to make sure thats how they are .over all im happy with them so far

·
Registered
448 Posts
no thats how it is... its made with slightly more tread on one side...

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've had them and the traction was great, didn't notice the road noise some of you are experiencing (but I've got a system I love to listen to and added deadening). I was surprised at the wear though. Mine seemed to be good the first 5-7 thousand miles then it seemed to lose traction (expected), but more so the tread wear seemed to accelerate. All round I loved the tire, just wished it would have a bit more tread wear. Can't have it all - after all I enjoyed the traction! It's either traction or tread wear.

·
Sofa King
4,826 Posts
I have a question. is there a left and ride side to these Nittoe Neogen tires? i just got some and the driver side are going a different pattern from the passanger side...just trying to make sure thats how they are .over all im happy with them so far

there is an inside and outside, so it needs to go on the rim right, but they are not directional, so it doesn't matter which side of the car they go on.

I had the same question when I got mine last year.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I wasnt a big fan of these, after i had them for a little bit, i didnt get traction with them for shihhh, at first they were great, but then they just became garbage. But now im trying out the invos and there working out great, good traction, low noise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts