Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a question for you. I was talking my cousin into buying an IS300 but she went for a new 2001 Audi A4 instead. She decided to lease it for 48 months. Anyways she picked up the car today and is very dissatisfied. The power window failed, the fog light is burned out, and she's just not happy with the car. She has 74 miles on it and wants to know if she can just give it back to the dealer. She wants the IS300 now. What are her options? Can she just return it and say she's not happy or does she have to sell it at the payoff amount.
L.

·
Registered
323 Posts
if those things are breakin or failing she can possibly claim that it's a lemon. im not sure about the legalities but you might want to look into it.

mike

·
Registered
262 Posts
Did she already get the title work done on the car? If the car has already been titled, it is a used car and so the dealer probably won't take it back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She can't just return it and say that she doesn't like the car?
it's a 48 month lease and has 74 miles on it. It's practically brand new

·
Registered
323 Posts
its not brand new once u drive it off the lot. its not a pair of pants that dont fit right. you buy it, you deal with it. you should complain about the fog light and the windows though. those are legit problems that need to be dealt with.

mike

·
Registered
262 Posts
By the way, if she just picked up the car today, then the dealer probably hasn't submitted the title papers yet. So if I were her, I would go back to the dealership first thing in the morning and try to get my money back. They may let her exchange it for another type of car. I used to manage a car dealership and we once let a lady return a new car that she bought because we hadn't gotten the car titled yet and she only put a couple of miles on it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My friend signed a 36 month lease on a A4 last year and he needed to sell it 5 months later. His payoff was $31.700 but he was only able to sell it for $27,000 and so he had to cough up the other $4,700 bucks. I don't think your friend wants to do that.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The one thing you really oughta do is check on the terms of the lease agreement.....which is most likely different from other dealerships........some leases allow the lessee to walk away from the lease with maybe a few months of payment, while some do not at all.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
i'm sorry to say this but once you sign the contract, that's it. they used to have a 3 day cooling off period, but not anymore...
dealers never take the car back. and they don't have to....because there is no money back.....
but if you really talk to the salesman and the manager and don't forget, be nice to them....sometimes, i mean sometimes, they do take the car back. you have a very little chance...
and good luck...

------------------
xxsiLveR_iS300xx

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
yeah be nice
I signed a contract for white lexus , but I was being polite and the salesman at lexus let me change it to yellow (which has just arrived that day)

·
8,107 Posts
I've heard knowledgeable people say that in most states cars are considered like other purchases and can be returned within 3 days or something like that. The dealer will never admit this (if it's even true), so I would contact your state's Better Business Bureau and ask them.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Lisa,

Don't really know about the Lease thing.
But several years ago we had just purchased a brand new Rodeo.
Due to some "Un-Expected" problems at the time about 3weeks after driving the truck of the lot we had to get rid of it.
Now, Justin & I went back to the dealership
and gave them our dilemma.

They Bought the car back after we WROTE A CHECK for approx. $1,800.00.

Yes, we got took to the cleaners, but the $25,000 loan was satisfied.

Good Luck Honey.

------------------
Denise C.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry but there is no "cooling off" period any more in California. It was posted all over in the Lexus dealership I was at. It said that it was a state law. Lemon law still applys but once you sign the contract you cannot just return the car because you don't want it or don't like it. A window and fog light is something that the dealer will most likely just fix for her and send her on her merry way. Dealerships work that way sometimes. Sorry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I realize that the car is brand-new and to have these two things fail right away is at the very least disappointing. But, your cousin has only had it for a day or two and she's already very dissatisfied? Should I get the impression that she bought it on impulse? Or did she go through the whole routine of doing research on the car, taking it for a test drive, etc., before purchasing (or leasing) it? Sounds like someone is getting cold feet...but I don't presume to know.

Anyway, she should be practical and take the car back to the dealership to have the two problems fixed, on them (on warranty). They'd better be really nice to her about it. A malfunctioning power window could just be due to a faulty switch, and have the burned-out fog light replaced. Dealers usually give a new car a once-over before handing your keys over (my experience anyway), so it's probably just pure bad luck that both things failed.

After that, if the things fail again, I assume you will have a recourse under your state's lemon law. In general, the defect(s) must be covered under warranty and a reasonable number of repair attempts must be made, before the law kicks in. There was a recent incident involving a (former) Chevy customer and his new Impala that relates to this; do a net search if it's saved on some Web site.

Anyway, good luck to your cousin. Hopefully, the problems will be fixed and she'll end up with what she expected her new car to be.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sounds like to me she Wishes she had bought the IS300.

I wonder if someone talked her into buying the A4 ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
go to Lexus and trade in the car. Maybe it would be a 500-1000 lost.....who knows?

or just tell her that the A4 is actually a very good car and be happy with it.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by Lisa Leyda:
She can't just return it and say that she doesn't like the car?
it's a 48 month lease and has 74 miles on it. It's practically brand new
she's outta luck. i don't see the dealer taking it back/replacing it unless you can invoke the lemon law...and good luck with that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
geoff
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing