Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, huge thanks to 'egusman', he's an ebay seller and can be found on various forums. He sold me everything for the install, navigation unit, steering wheel controls, mic, custom wire harness and most importantly all of the paperwork detailing what electrical connections are what. And alot of patience for my phone calls.

Midway through installation. Around this point I took an out of body step back and looked at my brand new car I'd only had for 2 weeks and nearly had a heart attack.

After (generic picture, it looks... stock).

If you're an experienced car stereo installer and have no problems reading electrical diagrams this should be fairly straight forward for you. There's basically 6 connection points for the new wire harness and you'll be able to figure it out with some patience. I can't really help here, it's just finding what goes where and properly running the cables and making a few wire jumps. Unfortunately in my install all didn't go according to plan. The unit went in fine (as fine as installing an unfamiliar wire harness in an unfamiliar car) but as egusman warned me ahead of time there was a glitch or mis wiring where the A/C readout does not show up (although the A/C works and responds to controls fine) unless the headlights are on. No amount of trouble shooting could fix this. It's really not to much of a pain, but it's annoying not having it '100%'. It's as if the A/C display readout doesn't receive power to it's wire unless the headlights are which doesn't make much sense. Everything else is functional (navigation, bluetooth etc)

A step by step walk through wont' be provided, if you're able to locate one of these units and the Lexus technical paperwork that shows you what the wire harness descriptions are you should be able to get it done or if you don't understand the diagrams you should take it to a shop. For price, I think it was in the $2,500 range but don't remember to much at this point as I've had a stupidly hectic last two months.

Tips
-----------------------------------------------

-- The entire center console and dash is basically clipped together and can be taken apart by hand except the vents. Use the widest flathead screwdriver possible to maximize the pressure being put on the plastic for any parts you can't get by hand. The IS dash is EXTREMELY forgiving, don't worry about scratching or denting any part of it. I didn't end up with a single scratch/ding and this is through a 3 day installation where by day three I really didn't give a shit what got dinged.

-- As previously mentioned the most difficult part to remove is the vents above the headunit, as is easily searchable locate the clips inside the vent and pop them down, then using a flathead to pry the edge of the unit out until you can get a finger grip on it.

-- PAY ATTENTION TO NOT CROSS WIRES. This is a mess of wires of epic size and I'm not as experienced as I should've been, luckily I had my roommate helping me. I shorted the main power wire to my stereo. Idiot. I had to jumper it to another ACC ON power wire.

-- I performed this 3 days before the New Year, and I was moving on Jan. 1st to a new house. This was an added stress that I didn't need. Do it at a time when you can have your car down for a few days without frustration.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, yeah. I didn't opt for it built in because the car is an '06. My brother is an auto auctioneer and I let him know for a new IS my only requirement is a built in nav when he was looking for one for me.. this car was to much of a steal to pass it up though. Having had an aftermarket nav in my last car I really wanted an OEM one this time.

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
hey dude.
i did this same thing in my '01 IS. used the stock housing but not the stock screen, nav system, or controls. so it all looks stock and the screen opens and closes like stock, with an alpine nav system inside of it.
just wondering, where did you get all of the oem lexus parts? i did this a while ago, but i had gotten my parts at my local dealership who had give me a discount since i was getting so many parts (each part on lexuspartsonline.com would have come out to about the same)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

You did a great job and I hope to do the same. Before I do I am looking for some answers. First. I am a new member from the Netherland (Europe) and bought a new Lexus IS250 without navigation.
I want the navigation option but that becomes only with a whole option set of € 5000,- . That is a lot of money and I didn't had it on me when I bought my new beauty. Now I am a little disappointed that I didn't buy it and have seen your job. I am not afraid to turn my car upsite down, and hope that you can give me some tips for removing the whole console(In what order you must disassemble). I have done this kind of oparation before.

On Ebay they sell also OEM navigation systems, so I am considering to buy one. Before I do that I fit want tot know if it is possible to build a aftermarket navigation unit in a factory NON navigation IS250.
1:Are the cables and connector allready installed for building in a navigation system or is the wiring not compatible?
2:What do I have to do to make it work ?
3:Are there wiring diagram's to connect the after market OEM unit ?
4:Is the US navigation unit the same as the Europe unit ?

So, that are a lot of questions. I hope my English is good enough to understand my challange. There is one unit on Ebay without wiring. Is it wise to buy this unit and plug it in or must I first look for the right MISSING wiring.

I hope you, ore someone who read this, can help me out.

One little question for closing down my story. Can you tell me where the navigation DVD is stored. Is it hidden out of site, because the user manual speaks of change DVD's bij Lexus dealers only ??

Thanx

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, sir, firstly your english is superb. Secondly, I'll attempt to address your questions point by point--

1. NO! They are not! You'll need a custom wire harness or it will not work, the wire harness for the stock stereo is not going to work with a navigation unit. It is possible, I did it and showed you the picture, but the missing thing between the screen and the car is the custom wire harness. This is where egusman comes in. Do a google search for 'egusman' and get in contact with him.

2. You need the face plate (that has the actual buttons you push etc.), the navigation unit itself, a custom wire harness, and optionally a mic, steering wheel controls, rear view backup camera etc. I have the mic and steering wheel controls.

3. The wiring diagrams are available on the toyota technical website for mechanics. It's a pay service, but has all of the wiring diagrams and electrical harness descriptions (complete descriptions of the voltage and function of each pin, of each plug on the wire harnesses)

4. Yes it is. On my unit being the '06 software when I go to the over ride screen I can hit the localization button if i wanted to switch my unit over to a european unit. Gus warned me to not hit this button under any circumstances as once you change the localization of the unit you cannot change it without the map disc of the country you change it to.

I WOULD NOT buy the ebay unit with the missing wiring, it will not work and you'll have no way to get a wiring harness for it. My suggestion is to see if egusman has any in stock currently, he was kind enough to provide me with phone support and all of the paper documentation off the toyota technical site.

The navigation disc is stored behind the red plastic cover that the clock time is illuminated through. There's two small holes on either side, you stick in paper clips and pop it off. No real trick there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey wazup i have one question im putting a pioneer d3 do i need a custom wire harness? i cant find eguman on ebay either :( can you please send me his link on through pm

·
Registered
15 Posts
So are you still driving around with headlight on for AC control to work? I guess eguman sold the same one that I returned. I just couldn't accept the ac wiring crossing with headlight switch, otherwise I would've kept it cause i liked it a lot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, well, I'm in So. Cal, I hardly touch the A/C.. I keep it at 72 all the time and the A/C works just doesn't show a readout, I can still raise and lower the temp just I can't read what the display is. At night typically (the lights are on so i can read heh) i raise it to 74 and in the morning pop it down 2 notches which I don't have to read to know I'm now at 72. Works fine, slightly inconvenient. I'd love to fix it and would've bought the ML upgrade for $700 had I known the aggrivation it'd cause in trying to fix it or the inconvenience it'd cause (the ML wiring harness works fine, apparently the non-ML harness he made doesn't work w/ A/C w/o headlights..odd).

·
Registered
15 Posts
So ML unit didn't have the problem? Yeah if I had known that I would've bought that one instead of non ML. Oh well it's too late now and don't want to go thru the install again. I'll get the new Tomtom GO 930 with lane assist similar to lexus navi. BTW, how did you mount the backup camera or you didn't install it? if you did, post some pics of backup camera.

Yeah, well, I'm in So. Cal, I hardly touch the A/C.. I keep it at 72 all the time and the A/C works just doesn't show a readout, I can still raise and lower the temp just I can't read what the display is. At night typically (the lights are on so i can read heh) i raise it to 74 and in the morning pop it down 2 notches which I don't have to read to know I'm now at 72. Works fine, slightly inconvenient. I'd love to fix it and would've bought the ML upgrade for $700 had I known the aggrivation it'd cause in trying to fix it or the inconvenience it'd cause (the ML wiring harness works fine, apparently the non-ML harness he made doesn't work w/ A/C w/o headlights..odd).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correct, ML version works fine. No backup camera for me either, didn't see the need.

That Tom Tom looks nice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
nice nice i just wish someone would provide a nice writeup so more of us could do this, i contacted egusman awhile back and he would not just sell the harness, which offset the fact of purchasing a cheaper system off of ebay with the wiring harness, plus the custom wiring harness seems impossible to build or make without some knowledge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts