Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The people are running nitrous right now, what are your results, and how much of a shot can our motor handle on basic upgrades (I/H/E/CG/EMS). I am thinking of maybe going this route, but don't wanna waste my time, money and effort if it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Right now I have K&N FIPK, Toyo Gen II Header+Y Pipe, HKS Hiper Exhaust and N.O.S. 75 shot wet kit installed. My shop just got they're dyno this week, and we've done some testing with my car. It pulls 178 and change HP w/out spray, and 223 and change w/ spray. I have no piggyback management right now (Hopefully will w/in the next month). Should get better numbers w/ a fuel pressure regulator to tune the nitrous a bit, and obviously tuning would be great. I was running rich without the spray, but obscenely rich with the spray (Not enough bottle pressure, and probably a little too much fuel pressure in the first place), so I know there's a more power to be found. Oh, and FWIW it's a dynomite (land-and-sea) chassis dyno--measures similar to a Mustang (i.e. a lil lower than dynojet).

·
Registered
277 Posts
ya mine does 186.2 on the motor and 244.1 on a 100 shot on a dyno dynamics similar to mustang numbers and love it i do alot of street racing and havent got to the track since dyno tuneing cause im having some issues with the trans shifting into 2nd on spray. but its fun on the street

ps i hear of alot running a 125 shot and im going to try it as soon as i get tranny shiftin

Reactions: Split2nd

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+ rep guys, thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
with a nx kit 80 shot... no cats and a basic bolt-ons... i was able to walk an ev08. with a 100 shot i was able to walk an e46 m3. felt like the car was capable of low 13s.. upgrade your fuel pump, spark plugs, and get it tuned to be safe... i've gone through 2 motors and a tranny on juice... i wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you're ready to replace an engine and tranny or if you are fully aware of the know-hows and know-no's with juice.. good luck.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. Owe ya some rep. But...........

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

·
Registered
394 Posts
strokedcoupe said:
ps i hear of alot running a 125 shot and im going to try it as soon as i get tranny shiftin
the rule of thumb when it comes to using nitrous is not to exceed half the motor's HP. 125 shot is more than half the 215HP motor. I wouldn't advise running a shot that big on a motor that produced 215HP, regardless of the intake and exhaust you may put on. even if your motor was a 250hp motor a 125 is pushing it. I wouldn't advise it, I would think no more than the 75-80 shot...for your motor application. just my 02

·
Registered
277 Posts
b00st said:
the rule of thumb when it comes to using nitrous is not to exceed half the motor's HP. 125 shot is more than half the 215HP motor. I wouldn't advise running a shot that big on a motor that produced 215HP, regardless of the intake and exhaust you may put on. even if your motor was a 250hp motor a 125 is pushing it. I wouldn't advise it, I would think no more than the 75-80 shot...for your motor application. just my 02
been running 100 shot with no probs except transmission. i do have a fuel pump upgrade. but that is a rule of thumb which is actually half the cubic inches. which i havent took time to convert from 3.0 but im sure this makes it even worse. and people not experenced with nitrous. you've gotta take out some timing 2 deg for every 50 hp. but ive seen a few on here with a 125 shot with no timing retard and no problems. so as long as i take enough timing out i dont see the problem with 125 shot . people making more than 125 hp on turbos with no major problems if tuned properly

·
Registered
394 Posts
strokedcoupe said:
been running 100 shot with no probs except transmission. i do have a fuel pump upgrade. but that is a rule of thumb which is actually half the cubic inches. which i havent took time to convert from 3.0 but im sure this makes it even worse. and people not experenced with nitrous. you've gotta take out some timing 2 deg for every 50 hp. but ive seen a few on here with a 125 shot with no timing retard and no problems. so as long as i take enough timing out i dont see the problem with 125 shot . people making more than 125 hp on turbos with no major problems if tuned properly
agreed....tranny will need a VB upgrade if your gonna run that kind power through it for autos. I can see shifting problems happening.

are you running a wet kit with the fuel pump upgraded?

inexperienced and nitrous are not good combos and shouldn't be put together....i was just throwing some info out there.

and yes it does say 2 degrees for every 50hp...but i've seen systems squeak by on 50 shots with 2-4 degrees advanced timing. or 75 shots with no timing retard done. doesn't mean its right. but when pushing 100+ shot...at least 2-3 degree's should be done. if i recall in edlebrocks it said 4 degrees for 100 and 5 for 125. but you should be able to squeak away with maybe 2-3 degrees of retard. the question is how does it run without being on spray...when its on spray and the timing is retarded its actually running properly. car may not idle so well or pur as nice with 4+ degrees of timing retard.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
b00st said:
the question is how does it run without being on spray...when its on spray and the timing is retarded its actually running properly. car may not idle so well or pur as nice with 4+ degrees of timing retard.
no difernt than a turbo im sure when they tune a nitruos car they dont just bump the timming back 4 deg thoughtout the rmp range in fact if running emanage you would only bump timming back under WOT or atleast 90% throttle because how often do you hit the quice under part throttle? so idle and everything would still be like stock.

just my .02 im no nitrous guy but thats my guess

-Brett

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nline6 said:
no difernt than a turbo im sure when they tune a nitruos car they dont just bump the timming back 4 deg thoughtout the rmp range in fact if running emanage you would only bump timming back under WOT or atleast 90% throttle because how often do you hit the quice under part throttle? so idle and everything would still be like stock.

just my .02 im no nitrous guy but thats my guess

-Brett
right that would be a staged nitrous setup. without a staged nitrous setup...you have no choice...there is no luxury of running stock timing. you would need something like this...there is a cheaper NOS staging gizmo around 215-250 bucks that will let you do this...its just a simpler box.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400228+310644&autoview=sku

but for anyone just throwing on a nitrous kit and setting the jets to do a 125 shot....you got no choice but to retard the timing 4 degrees...which in turn will get you to run like you have an old muscle car...when i fact you have a nice lexus. we ran a 50 shot on my brothers jetta and we got away with 4 degrees of advanced timing. he was running a chip in his car...

well nitrous comes in at 1000psi and turbos do what...on super cars 50psi...that still nothing in terms of psi.

so yeah nitrous is very differnt then boost from a turbo.

When you heat nitrous oxide to about 570 degrees F, it splits into oxygen and nitrogen. So the injection of nitrous oxide into an engine means that more oxygen is available during combustion. Because you have more oxygen, you can also inject more fuel, allowing the same engine to produce more power. When it vaporizes, nitrous oxide provides a significant cooling effect on the intake air. When you reduce the intake air temperature, you increase the air's density, and this provides even more oxygen inside the cylinder.

when your talking turbos....your talking about moving air volume. Turbochargers allow an engine to burn more fuel and air by packing more into the existing cylinders. and that packing of air from a turbo causes a lot of stress on the internals....go ahead to try to run even 20psi or 12psi on your stock internals and lemme know how it goes. this is why people swap their internals...we are talking to completely different animals...where boost is not just boost.

·
Registered
177 Posts
MSD has a digital ignition box (DIS 4+) that you can wire into your system so that when you activat the system it will retard your timing to whatever you set it for and then when you de-activate your system it will go right back to stock timing. You can also set it to run a bit advanced on just motor. So far my best dyno results on spray are: 247hp and 270 tq at the wheels. That's with manual trans, I/H y-pipe and SAFC-II with 75 shot

right that would be a staged nitrous setup. without a staged nitrous setup...you have no choice...there is no luxury of running stock timing. you would need something like this...there is a cheaper NOS staging gizmo around 215-250 bucks that will let you do this...its just a simpler box.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400228+310644&autoview=sku

but for anyone just throwing on a nitrous kit and setting the jets to do a 125 shot....you got no choice but to retard the timing 4 degrees...which in turn will get you to run like you have an old muscle car...when i fact you have a nice lexus. we ran a 50 shot on my brothers jetta and we got away with 4 degrees of advanced timing. he was running a chip in his car...

well nitrous comes in at 1000psi and turbos do what...on super cars 50psi...that still nothing in terms of psi.

so yeah nitrous is very differnt then boost from a turbo.

When you heat nitrous oxide to about 570 degrees F, it splits into oxygen and nitrogen. So the injection of nitrous oxide into an engine means that more oxygen is available during combustion. Because you have more oxygen, you can also inject more fuel, allowing the same engine to produce more power. When it vaporizes, nitrous oxide provides a significant cooling effect on the intake air. When you reduce the intake air temperature, you increase the air's density, and this provides even more oxygen inside the cylinder.

when your talking turbos....your talking about moving air volume. Turbochargers allow an engine to burn more fuel and air by packing more into the existing cylinders. and that packing of air from a turbo causes a lot of stress on the internals....go ahead to try to run even 20psi or 12psi on your stock internals and lemme know how it goes. this is why people swap their internals...we are talking to completely different animals...where boost is not just boost.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have run both a 50 shot and 75 shot dry on my IS...I have a stock 01 e-shift as well since I just got it...they have both worked fine and I have seen an impressive increase..no dynoes sorry..but I kept up close with an STI from a roll..if that helps..good luck and it is worth it because it is so much fun!!!

·
Rollin Boosted
2,801 Posts
Back when I ran a NX wet kit with a 125 shot I walked a C5 corvette at the track. I ran a 13.440 on that run. -B

1 - 16 of 16 Posts