Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at re sale trends on Edmunds and KBB it seems that the IS300 depreciates about 1500-2000 per year. This is a fairly steady trend so I'm wondering when it will fall to 10k for example. Do you think a 2002 IS300 can be worth about 10k dollars by 2008?

I know that for the the first year you lose the most money on the car but then it slows down and drops a set value each year.... I'm curious as to when that set value of depreciation stops all of the sudden hits the bottom?

I know my question is a little confusing but the only thing that is stopping me from buying the IS is this. I will most likely get rid of the car in about 3 years but I am afraid that a 2002 model by then is gonna be worth crap because it will be more then 6 years old.

I dont drive much so the mileage on the car will be far below average so I'm not worried about th emiles bringing down the value of the car... I'm worried about the years.

Let me know your opinion guys, thanks.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A good conditioned 02' IS is still worth at least 20k today, there is no way in 3 years it will be 10k unless its salvaged.

·
Registered
628 Posts
my moms 00 Volvo S80 and 04 Vette lost 5k this year. 2k doesnt seem that bad.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I had my car in autotrader for a couple months to see what I could get for it, not really trying to sell it. I was offered $22k for it WITHOUT my show system, which I could easily sell for another 2-3k. I was VERY surprised.

I think most 02's will fall into the 15k range by 2008. Lexus has always been well known for holding their value. For example, (I know you can't really compare the two) but it's pretty tough to find an 00 S4 for 15k now, and that car is almost 6 years old. I really don't see the IS dropping off the market fast enough in 6 years to be worth the same as a modified civic or eclipse... 10k.

My car is in impeccable condition though. I take very good care of it, and the paint is flawless. Nonetheless, it was a real surprise after seeing what some ppl on here have sold theirs for (including turbo'd IS's). I decided to keep it tho, once that car is paid off I think I'm gonna hang onto it and turbo it. ;)

I'll either buy a new IS or 3 series for my dd, all depends on how much I like the new IS once I drive it.

BTW, my car has 73k miles! :jawDrop:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts