Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for input on a couple areas here, thanks in advance.

My current set up:
Stock w/ sub & sound deadening
sub: Sound Splinter RLi-10 in sealed box w/ kicker 450w amp (don't have model number handy right now, old)

My goals:
SQ!
with punch

My restrictions:
I only have about $2k available right now

My thoughts:
1) Eclipse AVN6610
Love that I can play DVD and NAV at same time
Plus it has sweet add ons (front/side and rear cameras / bluetooth / satelite traffic updates / rear screen out / aux in / etc)
And now that the 20 came out they are only about $700 new
2) JL 300/2
150watt rms x 2 channels
about $300 these days
3a) Focal 165v1
3b) Diamond Audio HEX 6.5
Looking for input here... Any great SQ <$300 6.5" components that I am overlooking?

That leaves about $700
for the sub I see a few options:
1) Build new ported box and get a JL 500/1
2) Get a second RLi-10 and a JL 1000/1, then build new ported box
3) Get a Digital Design 9110c, a JL 1000/1 and build a new ported box

Unless I get used parts, option 1 is the only real option $ wise but I hope to be able to find used or discounted parts...

I will also do; new speaker cables, one or two Capacitors, RCA cables, etc...

My Questions:
Best components <$300
Where to buy DD sub
General thoughts on the layout
Where to save money and not loose out (amps maybe)...

Thanks again!

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
I've never heard the Hex6.5's but I have heard good things about them. I have the Focal's in my car though and I love them. They can be had for about $219 on woofersetc.com Focal 165-V1 - Focal 165V1 Polyglass 6.5" 2 Way Component Speakers
One thing that's cool is that sonicelectronix.com has a price beat policy. So I would try to see if they would beat the price from woofersect.com and then you could get them for VERY cheap ;)

Find out what the specs are on your Kicker amp before you decided to replace it. Some kicker amps, especially the old ones, are underrated and make more power than stated on the box. I would bet that amp would do just fine for the RL-i10. I would stick with one sub and just throw it in a ported box. It will be twice as loud as it is now. Take a minute to think about whether or not you need more than that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great input as usual - I was doubting the 'twice as loud' statement but knew there would be improvement from a ported box, so I built one.

Holy Shit! you were dead on - it is at least twice as loud! :approve:

So for now, bass is taken care of :) and I get to focus on the rest of the system...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
how much more do you prefer SQ over "flashy"? reason i ask is that you can get a REALLY good SQ unit for less than the eclipse. of course it won't have NAVI and all that double-din glitter, but definitely better SQ controls. ones that come to mind are the new eclipse 7200mkII, alpine 9887, and, if you feel like spending a little more, the clarion DRZ9255 is an amazing unit. they all have built-in crossovers, time alignment, graphic and parametric eq, and the ability to turn-off the internal amp. they run about $450, $300, and $600 respectively off ebay. the downside is they're all single-din. it's hard to find a true SQ HU in a double-din format.

i think you're looking fine with your choice of focals and JL amp. JL's can be a little pricey, but the first series of slash amps are coming down in price since the v2 slash amps have come out. you can get pretty good deals on them, and they are very solid amps.

no matter which route you go on your HU, use what's left of your $2k and spend it all on deadening. you're going to use a lot of it on your doors, floors, and roof.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much more do you prefer SQ over "flashy"? reason i ask is that you can get a REALLY good SQ unit for less than the eclipse. of course it won't have NAVI and all that double-din glitter, but definitely better SQ controls. ones that come to mind are the new eclipse 7200mkII, alpine 9887, and, if you feel like spending a little more, the clarion DRZ9255 is an amazing unit. they all have built-in crossovers, time alignment, graphic and parametric eq, and the ability to turn-off the internal amp. they run about $450, $300, and $600 respectively off ebay. the downside is they're all single-din. it's hard to find a true SQ HU in a double-din format.

i think you're looking fine with your choice of focals and JL amp. JL's can be a little pricey, but the first series of slash amps are coming down in price since the v2 slash amps have come out. you can get pretty good deals on them, and they are very solid amps.

no matter which route you go on your HU, use what's left of your $2k and spend it all on deadening. you're going to use a lot of it on your doors, floors, and roof.
I am struggling with that question right now...

Flash: I like the idea of keeping NAV in the car, I love the thought of real time traffic updates in the NAV. Also the AVN has a dual source feature with a 7" aux screen available - I was planning on putting it in the factory nav screen pod... So I would have nav in the dash and could play a movie or rear view camera in the motorized pod...

But, I am very much an audiophile as well... I may have to just spend more $$$ -- go with a SQ head unit now, then add an external nav unit later (keep factory nav for now)...

That Clarion unit looks amazing!

·
Registered
753 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts