Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the freeway this morning and a glass bottle hit my front windshield and it left a few big cracks that stretch from the bottom to the top of my windshield. Now, is it better for me to replace this at the dealer or go so some aftermarket place? Since there is a VIN number, I figure only dealer will carry that type of windshield...so any suggestions? Also, do you think my insurance will pay for it?

edit: I called the dealership up and they charge $120 for labor and $517.36 for the front windshield!!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Here in LA there's alot of those window dealers that can get the window and have it installed for only about $399. I was gonna do that for mine, but I was wondering if they would have the nice black trim around the rear view. and also my old window says Nippon glass, just like all the other windows. So I wanted to keep that same style of glass. I just have 2 small chips that haven't grown since they happened, one was 4-5 months ago.

·
Registered
342 Posts
A rock hit my windshield three weeks after I got mine...the insurance was going to cover the cost b/c in some states it is mandatory for insurance companies to pay for the first windshield replacement for free, but when the dealer saw how small the crack was they recommended this company...I forget the name now...But this guy came to my apartment sealed the crack for $40 and as long as I keep the reciept from this company they will guaranteed that the crack will not spread for the life of the windshield. Now the only time I actually see the crack is if I am looking for it intentionally. But from what I have read of your incident I guess the insurance thing is the only thing you really care about so, yes depending on your state they might cover it for free so give them a call and sorry about your windshield.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i found out that my paint was damage on the passenger side pillar. i figure all this will be more then $500 (my deductible is $500) so i just filed a claim and will get it all fixed..

·
Registered
265 Posts
i was driving one day and a little rock hit my windshield and the crack expanded so now i need a new windshield. I called the insurance company and were supposed to come on wednesday and replace it, but lexus sent the wrong windshield. They had an IS300 box with an ES windshield, so that sucked. Now they are coming tuesday to replace it. They said the sportcross windshield is about $800, so i'm figuring ours isnt much more or less. thank god i have a 0 deductible for that stuff :D

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
This is why my insurance company covers filling in even the smallest chips or cracks.. they pay for it and it doesn't go against my deductible.

I've got a shop here in ATL that will come pick up my car, fill it, and bring it back in an hour... its a pretty sweet deal.

Got maybe 5 dings filled on my truck windshield... haven't gotten any so far in the IS *knock on wood*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts