Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since one of my fog bulbs went dead again and this time it stayed dead, I decided to get some new ones. I went with the suggestin from this post..
http://www.is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13367947&highlight=55watts
I got the PIAA H3 Xtreme white 55watt bulbs and replaced both. I didn't see a difference really. Below is a pic of both of them but that doesn't really show one side brighter because unless you are level with both you can't tell. Anyway the whole ordeal didn't take too long. You guys with the Ltuned fogs can do it yourself if it ever happens to you. Im just hoping it doesn't happen again soon.

Late Addition: Fogs are a little dimmer than the originals. I dont want anybody copying my mistake. The PIAAs mentioned above dont look as bright to me. Im judging by the reflection off the ground from standing infront of the car and from being inside the car. So stay away. Try to get the original bulb.

Yes they are clickable
<-- Bumper off looking down
<-- Fog before taking them off
<-- Bumper off
<-- Type and wattage
<-- Fog in my hand, see bulb behind the metal protector
<-- Remove screw to get to the bulb
<-- Inside the cover, undo both sides of the clip to pull out the bulb
<-- Difference between PIAA and Old bulbs
<-- Difference between PIAA and Old bulbs

<-- Checking to see if bulbs worked. New on left
<-- Cleaned up bumper while it was off (touch up paint on the nicks)
<-- Bolt on Ltuned Badge on grill
<-- Back of bumper with fogs back on
<-- Everything back on
<-- TheDon rides again with fogs on

·
Registered
908 Posts
Nice pics Don.....but you didn't have to take off the bumper to replace the bulbs for the fogs. I just replaced mine a couple days ago by just reachig from underneath the fog lights. It was a tight squeeze and took some time, but I managed to do it.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Superman IS 300 said:
Nice pics Don.....but you didn't have to take off the bumper to replace the bulbs for the fogs. I just replaced mine a couple days ago by just reachig from underneath the fog lights. It was a tight squeeze and took some time, but I managed to do it.
Now you tell me

Yeah I was in my driveway sticking my hands in the wheelwells and after a few attempts I said forget it, I've taken the bumper off before, it doesn't take that long, you can get it off in 5 minutes easy. Putting it back on takes a little bit more time but even thats easy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
At first I thought I had to take the bumper off also. then I looked from underneath. There easy to get to. Just one screw and the bottom cover comes off. My driveway has some weird angels so I was able to just pull it part way in so that the front was high enough to get my head under the bumper and then you could see everything that was going on under there. I ran the Sylvania h3 55w which is stock but was wondering what the h3 100w would look like. I didn't want to take a chance of melting something

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ckd said:
At first I thought I had to take the bumper off also. then I looked from underneath. There easy to get to. Just one screw and the bottom cover comes off. My driveway has some weird angels so I was able to just pull it part way in so that the front was high enough to get my head under the bumper and then you could see everything that was going on under there. I ran the Sylvania h3 55w which is stock but was wondering what the h3 100w would look like. I didn't want to take a chance of melting something
To mee they are either exactly the same or a little dimmer. I never had any luck with trying to upgrade bulbs. Stick with stock, save your bucks. You see that ridiculous price I paid? Somebody slap me!.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
irv_usc said:
don, hate to say it but that "after" pic makes it look like your fogs aren't as yellow as normal..

i know how much you like the yellow fogs...
They are still the same yellow. Look at the pic of them sitting on the ground. Most of the time they are so bright they dont look yellow from standing infront of the car, but they shine on the ground yellow.
tonight they looked good as I parked to let the garage up. Ill have to compare with another ltuned later on.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
The piaa's won't be as bright.

Assuming they're both 55 watt, they should produce the same amount of light.

The PIAA's have a coating on it that absorbs everything but blue so the bulb will get hotter, and will output less light.

So the PIAA's will be dimmer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.