Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some quick help ... do we need to remove the front bumper to get to the bulb for the fogs? My left one went out and I need to replace it but did not want to take off the front bumper again bc it was a pain in the a$$. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
670 Posts
turbonamja said:
Need some quick help ... do we need to remove the front bumper to get to the bulb for the fogs? My left one went out and I need to replace it but did not want to take off the front bumper again bc it was a pain in the a$$. Thanks in advance.
no you DON'T need to remove bumper.....

You only need to move the fender flap by the tires..... I'm talking about black plastic thing that covers the space between bumper and tire.....

You need to remove two plastic insert, then pull the plastic piece.... you will have more than enough space to replace the bulb....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reviving this thread...

I'm trying to do the same thing - I removed the two plastic plugs, but the flap wouldn't budge.

I went as far as removing two bolts that appear to fasten the black plastic cover to the lower lip of the front bumper, but that didn't help either.

The next step seems to be to undo the two 10mm bolts securing the fog lamp into the bumper (accessible through the air inlet next to the fog) - am I on the right track?

If anyone knows of pics detailing how to get to the fog bulb, a link would be appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Reviving this thread...

I'm trying to do the same thing - I removed the two plastic plugs, but the flap wouldn't budge.

I went as far as removing two bolts that appear to fasten the black plastic cover to the lower lip of the front bumper, but that didn't help either.

The next step seems to be to undo the two 10mm bolts securing the fog lamp into the bumper (accessible through the air inlet next to the fog) - am I on the right track?

If anyone knows of pics detailing how to get to the fog bulb, a link would be appreciated.
I don't know if you ever got this taken care of, but if not...all you need to do is remove those 2 plastic clips that hold the plastic wheel well piece in that are behind the fog light location. They are right on the inside edge of the wheel well. The sheet metal of the fender/wheel well curves around into the wheel well, the inside plastic piece tucks up behind the metal. Once you remove the 2 black plastic clips, use some needle nosed pliers to grab the plastic piece inside of the hole where you just removed the clips, and pull it into the wheel well. It will bend enough to slide out from where it's tucked behind the metal lip. Once it's out, just pull it into the wheel well to give yourself a gap large enough to access the foglight bulb. You do sort of need skinny hands to be able to get them in there to access the light, unless you really pull the plastic piece way back.

Once you've replaced it, just tuck the plastic back behind the metal lip of the wheel well, and re-insert the 2 plastic clips.

I just replaced mine last week, and it only took about 15 minutes start to finish. I'll update this with a photo of the clips when I get a chance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know if you ever got this taken care of, but if not...all you need to do is remove those 2 plastic clips that hold the plastic wheel well piece in that are behind the fog light location. They are right on the inside edge of the wheel well. The sheet metal of the fender/wheel well curves around into the wheel well, the inside plastic piece tucks up behind the metal. Once you remove the 2 black plastic clips, use some needle nosed pliers to grab the plastic piece inside of the hole where you just removed the clips, and pull it into the wheel well. It will bend enough to slide out from where it's tucked behind the metal lip. Once it's out, just pull it into the wheel well to give yourself a gap large enough to access the foglight bulb. You do sort of need skinny hands to be able to get them in there to access the light, unless you really pull the plastic piece way back.

Once you've replaced it, just tuck the plastic back behind the metal lip of the wheel well, and re-insert the 2 plastic clips.

I just replaced mine last week, and it only took about 15 minutes start to finish. I'll update this with a photo of the clips when I get a chance.
I actually haven't done anything yet - waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.

I tried the plastic tab removal method, - took the plugs out, and even went as far as removing some of the screws that hold the plastic into the underside of the front bumper, but I could _NOT_ get the black plastic wheel well to give me enough space to access the fog light (not even close, really).

If you have pictures of the operation, I'd love to see them to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Reviving this thread...

first make sure the wheel is turned out of the way. than all you have to is pop off the plugs that hold the liner in place. and reach in unplug the bulb and swap it out. you dont need to unbolt the 10mm bolts that hold the fogs in place.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reviving this thread....

yeah its pretty simple to remove the 2 10mm. Once you do that the foglight will slide right out the front.
I just bought new bulbs and I wanted to replace them. I had NO IDEA about unplugging the plastic stuff near the wheel.

I tried to unbolt the light, stuck my hand thru the open piece next to the fog light lamp...unbolted two bolts and pulled it out the the front of the bumper...shoved my hand in the little hole/opening next to it, thru the bumper, and i could NOT figure out how to turn the bulb so it would snap out.

I was thinking of replacing the fog lamp, because i HATE that yellow hue it has to it. I want EURO Clear fog lamps! SO, at least, now i know how to get the fog lamp out. haha. but i guess i'ma have to pull the plastic crap off to get to the bulb, eh?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.