Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a dealership reprogram an ECM from a different IS300 into mine? Same year and trans. My ECM was fried so I'm wondering if I could get one from ebay or somewhere and just take it to Lexus and have them reprogram it to my car? They want $1,100+labor to change it and I would like to avoid paying that much to get it fixed.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Yea, any ECU from '02-'05 will work in an '02-05. '01's have a different pin out I believe. You basically are looking for the type of transmission the replacement ECU uses. So you have a manual? Get a manual '02-'05 ECM manual transmission ECU. I'm also pretty sure they can reprogram the transmission options on a used ECU. Whichever ECU you get will have to be reflashed to your new key ket(immobilizer). I've heard some locksmiths can do that as well. It's a fairly simple process, just the manual or auto one you need, unless you talk to the dealer and see why if that can be changed too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer told me that only the '05s can be reprogrammed. The guy said that '01s to '04s have that immobilizer where if you take it out of the car, the ecu becomes nothing more than a paperweight because it cant be reprogrammed. Is that true or are they BSing me?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The dealer told me that only the '05s can be reprogrammed. The guy said that '01s to '04s have that immobilizer where if you take it out of the car, the ecu becomes nothing more than a paperweight because it cant be reprogrammed. Is that true or are they BSing me?
Sounds like some BS to me. They can all be reflashed, including '01's now. All of the cars have the immobilizer, it just wasn't till not too long ago that they couldn't reflash '01's. I have never heard of a difference between '05 and other year ECU's before.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my next problem then is finding a dealer that will do it. The nearest one is about 45 minutes away and I highly doubt there's any locksmiths in the area that could do it. I called the Toyota dealership back when the ecm was friend, before I put the new one in, and they said that I should just call a lexus dealership. Should I call them back to see if they can just flash it for me?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Im having a similar issue. I have an 01 is300 and the ecu fried when I atempted to replace the o2 sensors fir the b1s1 b2s2. My question is can I replace only de ecu? And if I can what alse would I have to do in order to get my car to start and run again? If I cant just replace the ecu and have to replace ignition switch, cylinder locks as well and use the key that comes with the new ecu, what would be the next step after I install all of the avobe? Any input will be appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Im having a similar issue. I have an 01 is300 and the ecu fried when I atempted to replace the o2 sensors fir the b1s1 b2s2. My question is can I replace only de ecu? And if I can what alse would I have to do in order to get my car to start and run again? If I cant just replace the ecu and have to replace ignition switch, cylinder locks as well and use the key that comes with the new ecu, what would be the next step after I install all of the avobe? Any input will be appreciate it. Thanks!
All you need is a used 2001 ECU and remember later years have a different pinout.
You will then have to go to the dealer to have your replacement ECU reflashed to your existing key set you have, so no lock cylinders will need replaced, just the cost of the used ECU and reflash. 2001 ECU's can be reflashed both by Lexus and third parties, so check with some local advanced locksmith's as well to keep cost down. Good luck, hope that helps.

Examples...

01 Lexus IS300 Engine Computer ECU ECM 89661 53131 | eBay
01 Lexus IS300 Engine Computer ECU ECM 89661 53133 | eBay
2001 01 Lexus IS300 Engine Control Module ECU ECM 89661 53130 AC 2 | eBay

Edit: Are you sure your ECU is definitely dead? Have you made sure ALL fuses under the hood as well as the kick panels TEST ok? Usually a fried ECU will make the car's cluster act weird or it won't sync up to a scanner. Just curious so you're not wasting money. The heater circuits on the oxygen sensors should be protected by the 25A EFI fuse.

Also, these are the available ECM part numbers so make sure you get the right one you need.

List for Auto-Sedan
89661 COMPUTER, ENGINE CONTROL
89661-53130 (05/2000 - 08/2000)
89661-53131 (09/2000 - 12/2000)
89661-53132 (01/2001 - 06/2001)
89661-53300 (07/2001 - 01/2002)

Manual-Sedan
89661-53310

http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/8404843363-Electrical-IS300-2001.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
jasonm4, please I need your help. after switching out new battery terminals and battery, i can not start my car and only have power to my honk, power seats and emergency lights. my buddy first asked me to check all the fuses and they all turned out fine. I got back to him and did inform him that i had the terminals backward and might've burned the ECM fuse. do you think I completely fried my ECM? i've researched all day and ended up on your last suggestion to another is300 owner that had a similar issue. anything knowledge from you would help, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
jasonm4, please I need your help. after switching out new battery terminals and battery, i can not start my car and only have power to my honk, power seats and emergency lights. my buddy first asked me to check all the fuses and they all turned out fine. I got back to him and did inform him that i had the terminals backward and might've burned the ECM fuse. do you think I completely fried my ECM? i've researched all day and ended up on your last suggestion to another is300 owner that had a similar issue. anything knowledge from you would help, thank you.
If the ECU won't talk then sometimes you can kill the ecu by reversing the extra battery. I would verify you have power at the obd(dlc3) port and check the higher rated fuses. I've heard of similar problems and the medium/high ABS and 120A ALT fuse was blown.

·
Registered
136 Posts
All you need is a used 2001 ECU and remember later years have a different pinout.
You will then have to go to the dealer to have your replacement ECU reflashed to your existing key set you have, so no lock cylinders will need replaced, just the cost of the used ECU and reflash. 2001 ECU's can be reflashed both by Lexus and third parties, so check with some local advanced locksmith's as well to keep cost down. Good luck, hope that helps.

Examples...

01 Lexus IS300 Engine Computer ECU ECM 89661 53131 | eBay
01 Lexus IS300 Engine Computer ECU ECM 89661 53133 | eBay
2001 01 Lexus IS300 Engine Control Module ECU ECM 89661 53130 AC 2 | eBay

Edit: Are you sure your ECU is definitely dead? Have you made sure ALL fuses under the hood as well as the kick panels TEST ok? Usually a fried ECU will make the car's cluster act weird or it won't sync up to a scanner. Just curious so you're not wasting money. The heater circuits on the oxygen sensors should be protected by the 25A EFI fuse.

Also, these are the available ECM part numbers so make sure you get the right one you need.

List for Auto-Sedan
89661 COMPUTER, ENGINE CONTROL
89661-53130 (05/2000 - 08/2000)
89661-53131 (09/2000 - 12/2000)
89661-53132 (01/2001 - 06/2001)
89661-53300 (07/2001 - 01/2002)

Manual-Sedan
89661-53310

2001 IS300: OEM Electrical (ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM) Replacement Parts
Ok a quick update. Yes the ecu fried... when I inserted the key in the ignition the ODO would blink and one of the needles in my cluster would also move a little.

Once I turned the key to crank the engine nothing would happened, only lights would come on. I replaced ignition switch (electric part), starter. Also, due to tried several times to start the vehicle my battery died so I recharged it a couple of times (note: optima yellow top only can be recharge by connecting to another battery, cant use a battery charger directly) and also tried to jump with another car and nothing.

So I got a used ecu but no key (junk yard would not sell key) but came with transponder. Once I got it I put the transponder in my key and fallow the programming process which it was successful and once I had it programmed I tried to start the car and nothing. I checked everything and everything seem to be in order security light would come off once key in the ignition but nothing. I talked to a friend of mine and recommended to check connections as well as all grounds and finally I tried to jump by putting red end in battery and ground on the block and it started right away. Later on, I found out it was a lose ground (the one from firewall to the block).

I want to say that while researching I came across two business that will transfer info from your bad ecu to the new one (Note: my ecu was burned up, your case might be a little different). I will post the info as soon as I get home. Thanks for all the help and tips. I really appreciate it. If u have any questions about what I did or if something isnt hclear send me an email [email protected].

Ok here are the links to the places that can flash your ecu. I asked local locksmiths and no one seem to be able to do it. But, Im in a small town.

I put information there is in their listings in case they expire. even though the first seem to be only to replace your lost keys, they do reflash the ecu, I talked to one of their sales rep and they told me they can do it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180813059893?item=180813059893&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:eRTM:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

"This listing is for two new keys, already cut and programmed to your vehicle. The ECU is NOT included in the sale - we reflash your ECU and send it back with (2) new keys, already programmed to start your vehicle. The charge is $245 + $20 for return shipping and insurance.

You can find more information about Lexus & Toyota key and ECU programming at the following link:
http://ampautoprogramming.com/LexusToyota.html
You can find more information about transponder keys and how they work at the following link:
http://www.armenlock.com/transponder_keys.htm

Here is how it works:

Step 1:
Please send by UPS or FedEx ONLY. Please do NOT ship by USPS. The USPS carrier at our address is extremely unreliable (misdelivered packages) and there has been no response to repeated complaints.
Remove the ECU (engine control unit) from your vehicle and send it to us with the passenger lock door cylinder. Ship your ECU and lock cylinder to:
AMP Automotive Module Programming
7622 Airpark RD
Gaithersburg, MD 20879
Please send by UPS or FedEx ONLY. Please do NOT ship by USPS. The USPS carrier at our address is extremely unreliable (misdelivered packages) and there has been no response to repeated complaints.
Remember to include your: name, return address, email address, phone number, and ebay username. Please track and insure your item when you send it to us, as we do when we return it.
If you have any questions or special requests, please email or call (301) 641-7077 BEFORE you purchase the listing

Step2:
Your keys and ECU are returned to you, cut and already programmed. Reinstall the ECU, and you are done. Normal turnaround time is three business days or less (not including transit time) unless other arrangements are made prior to purchase.

The (2) keys supplied are transponder keys that do not have built in remotes. Additional keys, including remote-head keys, are available at additional cost, please call (301) 641-7077 for quotes prior to purchase.

Lexus models covered by this listing are:
98-01 ES300
98-01 GS300
98-00 GS400
01 IS300
98-00 LS400 (97 LS 400 available at additional cost)
98-00 LX470
99-03 RX300
98-00SC300
98-00SC400

ALL UPS SHIPMENTS ARE SHIPPED WITH THE "CARBON NEUTRAL OPTION".

Thanks for looking."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321056498216?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

"This is a service to reflash the board to accept the new keys. You have to send us your ECM for us to reflash it.

I f you have a Toyota, Lexus,Honda between 1998 and 2004 most of them Have transponder keys on them. Most locksmiths cant make keys to them because you have to reflash the computer board and they dont know how or dont have the Equipment.

If you don't have a key just take the passenger door lock out and the key code is on it.

I will send 1 chip key cut to your key code. And tell you how to make it work.

THE DEALERS CAN'T EVEN REFLASH THE BOARDS THEY WILL REPLACE THE ECU ,OR ICU,AND IT COST $1000.00 OR MORE.

806 759-2553"

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Ok I quick update. Yes the ecu fried... when I inserted the key in the ignition the ODO would blink and velocimeter nedle would also move a little. Once I turned the key to crank the engine nothing would happened, only lights would come on. I replaced ingnition switch (electric part) starter and due to try several times to start the vehicle my battery died so recharged it a couple of times (note: optima yellow top only can be recharge by conecting to another battery, cant use a battery charger directly) and also tried to jump with another car and nothing.

So I got a used ecu but no key (junk yard would not sell key) but came with transpoder. Once I got it I put the transponder in my key and fallow the programing process which it was successful and once I had it programed I tried to start the car and nothing. I checked everything and everything seem to be in order security light would come off once key in the ignition but nothing. I talked to a friend of mine and recommended to check connections as well as all grounds and finally I tried to jump by putting red end in battery and ground on the block and it started right away. Later on I found out it was a lose ground (the one from firewall to the block).

I want to say that while researching I came across two bussines that will transffer info from your bad ecu to the new one. I will post the info as soon as I get home. Thanks for all the help and tips. I really appreciate it. If u have any questions about what I did or if something isnt hclear send me an email [email protected]comcast.net.
Thanks for your update and feedback:)

It seems more and more third parties will do reflashes even for 2001's. I've heard of this issue several times where the car can crank and the immobilizer prevents ignition. I've heard it's from bad input/output wiring, fried ecu, and in your case a bad ground. It won't allow the ecu to "wake", so to speak.

Also, I've been using a yellow top for years(7) and have always used a 2 amp trickle charger once in a while if it sits for a bit. I don't believe there's anything wrong with that providing the charger states it charges deep cycle batteries(most do). Usually when the ecu is fried you will get weird activity from the cluster. I appreciate the follow up and sorry to hear about the ecu.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well let me first say thanks to the folks on this board that keep the info coming. Secondly to Armen at Armenlock for turning my '01 computer and keys around same day. The guy may not be a vendor but deserves the props. I lost my only key wake boarding and learned all about the '01 key joke afterwards. Well around $300 and I sent itovernight on a Thursday and had it on the following Monday. Fired up first time. Tried getting a junk computer,switch and keys but no dice. Security wouldn't reset. But just wanted to say that the '01 reflash is possible and Armenlock is the way to go!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your update and feedback:)

It seems more and more third parties will do reflashes even for 2001's. I've heard of this issue several times where the car can crank and the immobilizer prevents ignition. I've heard it's from bad input/output wiring, fried ecu, and in your case a bad ground. It won't allow the ecu to "wake", so to speak.

Also, I've been using a yellow top for years(7) and have always used a 2 amp trickle charger once in a while if it sits for a bit. I don't believe there's anything wrong with that providing the charger states it charges deep cycle batteries(most do). Usually when the ecu is fried you will get weird activity from the cluster. I appreciate the follow up and sorry to hear about the ecu.
I’m having the same issues where the car can crank and the immobilizer prevents ignition. How can I fix this?? My Lexus has been sitting for months now. Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts