Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are folks doing to replace the backing plates and dust deflectors? I thought about forming some less intricate deflectors from sheet, but the backing plate is clamped (pressed, riveted?) to the deflector, and seems it must be replaced as a unit.

$50 a piece for the front isn't cheap, but it's swallowable. $300 a piece for the rear is kind of insane.

----

Plate Sub-Assy, Parking Brake, LH
1998-2010 Lexus 4650430090

Plate Sub-Assy, Parking Brake, RH
1998-2010 Lexus 4650330090

Cover, Disc Brake Dust, Front LH
2001-2005 Lexus IS300 4778222152

Cover, Disc Brake Dust, Front RH
2001-2005 Lexus IS300 4778122152

Attachments

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Are you talking brakes or something else? "Backing plates and deflectors" are used all over the place so doesnt tell me much about which ones you mean.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm referring to the large plate-like sheet metal pieces on each spindle/axle carrier; the front ones detach easily enough and are cheap, they just deflect brake dust. The rear ones however do not detach without completely disassembling the carrier and hub, and the thinner dust deflector/shield is attached to a much thicker "plate sub-assembly," that all of the parking hardware interfaces with; the two do not separate, and cost more than new tires.

·
5,037 Posts
I'm referring to the large plate-like sheet metal pieces on each spindle/axle carrier; the front ones detach easily enough and are cheap, they just deflect brake dust. The rear ones however do not detach without completely disassembling the carrier and hub, and the thinner dust deflector/shield is attached to a much thicker "plate sub-assembly," that all of the parking hardware interfaces with; the two do not separate, and cost more than new tires.
The front I have seen someone make new ones to match the larger rotors they were using. But it was a track car setup. The rears they just cut the lip back. Why are you worried about them? Rear I could see. Because the plate holds the parking brake. But unless you are really overheating the rotors. It will not do much without duct work to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts