Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all. Maybe someone can help. I work on my car to replace valve cover gaskets and spark plugs (pre gapped). I do that, I put everything back together. I get in the drivers seat I start the car and it just sputters ( like it wants to start) then it stops and won’t start.
I look back under the hood I inspect. I did miss a connection (evap canister behind intake by firewall) I plug it back it. I go to start the car again.
No start but this time it doesn’t sputter it just clicks. (Not a dead battery clicking more like the starter motor) but I just replaced the starter motor.
I go back under the hood and scratch my head. I do some research and realize I messed up. Coil pack in bank2 is plugged into bank 3 and coil pack in bank 4 is plugged into bank 5. Could that explain the sputtering and what can I do from here?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hey y’all. Maybe someone can help. I work on my car to replace valve cover gaskets and spark plugs (pre gapped). I do that, I put everything back together. I get in the drivers seat I start the car and it just sputters ( like it wants to start) then it stops and won’t start.
I look back under the hood I inspect. I did miss a connection (evap canister behind intake by firewall) I plug it back it. I go to start the car again.
No start but this time it doesn’t sputter it just clicks. (Not a dead battery clicking more like the starter motor) but I just replaced the starter motor.
I go back under the hood and scratch my head. I do some research and realize I messed up. Coil pack in bank2 is plugged into bank 3 and coil pack in bank 4 is plugged into bank 5. Could that explain the sputtering and what can I do from here?

Thank you in advance

If i'm not mistaken you should have just misplaced the wires, if you put them back in the correct place, you should be ok

Now, I don't know if an error such as that is enough to cause such detonation that you ruined the motor, my guess is no.

basically it should be 1&5, 2&6, 3&4 for the wire configuration

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
438 Posts
Yea you probably just mixed up the coil wiring connectors by accident. Just swap them around and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wiring was already fixed. Still didn’t start. Basically no crank no start now. Only clicks (once) when key is turned.

(Also when key is in battery position I hear light whirring coming from the front of the throttle body, never noticed it before)

Did further inspecting. Disassembled again checked spark plugs after still not starting found spark plug#2 to be full of (grime) no chance of being able to make a spark, all other spark plugs where looking okay. Replaced all spark plugs again to be sure. Had extra coil packs and plugs. Installed them, reassembled correctly. 1:6 2:5 3:4
Still no crank no start. Single click after key is turned. Light whirring sound from throttle body when battery is on.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
438 Posts
Or a dead starter. TB is electronic so whirring is probably normal as it is probably cycling through it’s range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll have to get a volt meter and check the battery for correct voltage. All dash lights still operate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or a dead starter. TB is electronic so whirring is probably normal as it is probably cycling through it’s range.
Do you think messing up the plug connection order could’ve shorted it out? It’s a new starter. Got earlier this year.

·
2,996 Posts
If it just clicks and does not tun over at all. Sounds like it can be a few reasons. Check that all the battery cables are on correctly. That the battery has around 13 volts. The security system has turned off with the key. Did you change anything besides the coils and plugs? Where there any issues like this or other before the work?.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it just clicks and does not tun over at all. Sounds like it can be a few reasons. Check that all the battery cables are on correctly. That the battery has around 13 volts. The security system has turned off with the key. Did you change anything besides the coils and plugs? Where there any issues like this or other before the work?.
I will do that. No issues prior. Originally went to fix valve cover leaks and spark plugs reassembled plug wires incorrectly (unknowingly) finish reassembly. Hop in to start car and it sputters like it wants to start. Stops sputtering and been a no crank no start. Then disassembled and reassembled correctly. This time no sputtering only one click at the turn of the key.
Was running fine prior. Only touching up on maintenance

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
438 Posts
It’s something simple we’re all sure of it I believe. Double check that your spark plug wires are going to the correct cylinders and check to make sure your coil pack wiring harness connectors aren’t loose or broken.

Also check the battery cables for corrosion and make sure they are tight.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Start with getting it turning over, if it doesnt turn over the rest is a moot point. Battery, then starter, and bits in between like cables and fuses, battery terminal. Take the spark plugs out if you want to see if the engine is turning over freely if you want but i wouldnt bother personally. I have had issues on another car years ago where the strands in the cable to the starter were breaking and it couldnt draw enough current to turn over, could be something as simple as that or the terminals not being tight as mentioned.

Once its turning over and trying to start, thats a different issue. Then check all the above mentioned points.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Luis2jzge, what year is your IS 300?
As members have previously stated, vehicle will experience that clicking noise usually when battery is too low to engage starter, but has enough power to keep accessories etc. on.
Have you tried using another vehicle to jump start your vehicle?
Have you since checked relays, fuses and battery in key FOB?
Did you have to remove crankshaft or camshaft sensor connections to gain access to valve cover gaskets etc.?
Don't think this is your issue however, I believe 2007 Lexus IS250 had issues with fuel pressure sensor going bad with issues similar to what your experiencing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts