Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 lexus is300
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently "upgraded" my rotors to R1 concepts drilled and slotted with ceramic pads. But since I have, I keep hearing a squeaking noise coming from the passenger side, unsure if its front or rear. I have pulled both front and rear off since I heard the noise, but nothing seems out of place or damaged, the pads are evenly worn, the rotors are straight and everything torqued to spec. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
850 Posts
Loose metal clips or crappy pads. If they ONLY squeak in the morning or when they are first applied, I wouldn’t call it normal but some pads do need heat to work properly.

·
Registered
2001 lexus is300
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Loose metal clips or crappy pads. If they ONLY squeak in the morning or when they are first applied, I wouldn’t call it normal but some pads do need heat to work properly.

Its constant with my speed. When I press the brakes the sound slows with it and sometimes will stop the sound when slowing down. But for the most part it is constant. And I cant tell if its coming from the front or rear, I just know its on the passenger side

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
850 Posts
Even new pads can be of poor quality and usually that translates into squeaking at times. Not trying to knock the brand or your choice. Solar and I probably have installed a few hundred brake pads over the years on various cars and sometimes they squeak right away. Normally I tell my customers to buy different pads and it solves the problem. Power stop brake kits had this problem for a while.

However if you say it’s only on one side you think, you should inspect that side against closely.

·
Registered
2001 lexus is300
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even new pads can be of poor quality and usually that translates into squeaking at times. Not trying to knock the brand or your choice. Solar and I probably have installed a few hundred brake pads over the years on various cars and sometimes they squeak right away. Normally I tell my customers to buy different pads and it solves the problem. Power stop brake kits had this problem for a while.

However if you say it’s only on one side you think, you should inspect that side against closely.
Ah okay, no offense taken, I mean I've never used R1 concepts before, so I cant really stand behind them too much, And I can try swapping pads and see if that fixes it.

I am jacking up the car now to check both front and rear again. But what should I inspect for? Brake jobs are pretty much straight forward lol

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
850 Posts
Ah okay, no offense taken, I mean I've never used R1 concepts before, so I cant really stand behind them too much, And I can try swapping pads and see if that fixes it.

I am jacking up the car now to check both front and rear again. But what should I inspect for? Brake jobs are pretty much straight forward lol
That’s usually how it goes. Brake jobs are indeed very straightforward. So you can see why Solar and I immediately went to the brake pads.

Reactions: Tyler TwoJay

·
Registered
402 Posts

A few years ago I dealt with a mustang that had squeaky brakes that developed over time, and one step that a lot of people overlook is the application of a brake lubricant that you use for the back of the pads and parts of the mounting hardware where contact is made. If you haven't done this, then it could be the problem. Otherwise, like the others have said, it could be down to the pad choice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure if you have the same problem or noise but I just changed my rotors and pads and was hearing a scraping sound in the rears and came upon this old thread that was very useful. I ended up taking the rear rotors off and saw scraping in the rotor channel where the back plate goes through. I used a angle grinder to shim down the back plate and that did the trick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had similar issues in the past with some cars Including my IS300. Something to keep in mind that it could be sticky caliper pistons. Especially when brake fluid is not kept clean or flushed regularly or at all. This could cause corrosion and build up inside the caliper chambers and pistons. You might need to rebuild the calipers. Which consist of seal and boot replacement And cleaning of the inside caliper area and pistons. Years ago My dad used to go through new brake pads every three months. it would squeak all the time until you step on the brake. Then instead of pads/ piston opening up through the discs being slightly non-concentric it would stick in the close position and create constant rubbing And wear. Test by swapping the last pads with right. If squeak comes from same side then it is the caliper. If it move to the other side then possibly pads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts