Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As usual my heart skipped a few beats when I saw a light go off on my dashboard, this time an unfamiliar one. Looking in the handbook, I found out this was the light that signals a malfunctioning light. But when I checked my lights, them all seemed to be working. Brake light, night lights, left and right turn front and back all seem to be working. Any idea what else I might be missing or how I can get rid of the dashboard signal?

·
Banned
47 Posts
Did you put LED bulbs or a LED tailight in in? Or have you recently changed any of the bulbs recently? There is a thread on here on how to bypass that light if you cant find it let me know and I'll try and find it cause i think it's in my favorites

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe its the small parking lights. Your DRLs and your HIDs may work, but these may be out.
In both cases, where 1 and 2 of the parking lights were out(in the headlamps) there was no failure lamp. In my experiences with toyota cars the "LAMP OUT" dash indicator almost always refers to the rear lights, whether its the "Night light" illumination in the rear lamps or the "Brake light" that is a result of the depressed pedal.

Not entirely sure if the IS has 2 seperate bulbs for illumination/brake, but try turning your lights on and see if the warning comes on, and then try depressing the brake and see if that triggers the dash light. From there you'll have a better idea of which one is acting up. If it only flags randomly while driving you can safely assume it's a loose bulb/connection. Check and make sure that all bulbs are making contact/snug in place and that there aren't any failing wires.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Alright i just got done looking through my favorites on my desktop and laptop an d i cant seem to find that thread i was talking about. There is a white plug in ur trunk on the left side behind the carpet. It's attached to the trunk arm(L. side) pull it out and I'm pretty sure its the purple one you cut. That WILL ABSOLUTELY! eliminate ur "lamp out light" Worked like a charm for me

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In both cases, where 1 and 2 of the parking lights were out(in the headlamps) there was no failure lamp. In my experiences with toyota cars the "LAMP OUT" dash indicator almost always refers to the rear lights, whether its the "Night light" illumination in the rear lamps or the "Brake light" that is a result of the depressed pedal.

Not entirely sure if the IS has 2 seperate bulbs for illumination/brake, but try turning your lights on and see if the warning comes on, and then try depressing the brake and see if that triggers the dash light. From there you'll have a better idea of which one is acting up. If it only flags randomly while driving you can safely assume it's a loose bulb/connection. Check and make sure that all bulbs are making contact/snug in place and that there aren't any failing wires.
YES! I noticed that and forgot to mention it earlier. When I start my car there is no light but the instant I touch the brake then it comes on so does this mean it is one of my brake lights?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright i just got done looking through my favorites on my desktop and laptop an d i cant seem to find that thread i was talking about. There is a white plug in ur trunk on the left side behind the carpet. It's attached to the trunk arm(L. side) pull it out and I'm pretty sure its the purple one you cut. That WILL ABSOLUTELY! eliminate ur "lamp out light" Worked like a charm for me
Ok I will make that my last resort. I would hate to get pulled over and harassed if I do have a light defect. Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
YES! I noticed that and forgot to mention it earlier. When I start my car there is no light but the instant I touch the brake then it comes on so does this mean it is one of my brake lights?
Yeah, it means its the brake light that is the culprit! It could be that the connector is corroded, the wiring is frayed, or the bulb just isn't secure. Check out the condition of the assemblies. If it doesn't trigger initially on startup, but as you're driving it's probably the road shaking something loose and causing flicker which triggers the warning on the dash. If it happens sitting in the driveway, prop an extending umbrella between your seat and the brake pedal and see if any of the brake lights are visibly out.

Hope this helps,

- Jason

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yeah, it means its the brake light that is the culprit! It could be that the connector is corroded, the wiring is frayed, or the bulb just isn't secure. Check out the condition of the assemblies. If it doesn't trigger initially on startup, but as you're driving it's probably the road shaking something loose and causing flicker which triggers the warning on the dash. If it happens sitting in the driveway, prop an extending umbrella between your seat and the brake pedal and see if any of the brake lights are visibly out.

Hope this helps,

- Jason

Good info. +rep.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the same problem and recently replaced both of my aftermarket bulbs with the originals from the dealer. Now they only light up when I press the brake and rear indicator comes on in the dash/odometer when I turn on all of the lights. I have no clue whats going on.
Anybody?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have had this problem since I got the car. Once started its fine. As soon as you press down on brake pedal the light comes on and stays on. I checked all bulbs. All was okay. Then I switched to LED Depo lights. And the problem still occurs. Could it be the switch below the dash that attaches to brake pedal? (brake light switch)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had this problem since I got the car. Once started its fine. As soon as you press down on brake pedal the light comes on and stays on. I checked all bulbs. All was okay. Then I switched to LED Depo lights. And the problem still occurs. Could it be the switch below the dash that attaches to brake pedal? (brake light switch)
just buy new OEM bulbs because i had the same problem for several months and i couldn't figure out what the problem was until the rear trunk light went off. dealer told me the autozone bulbs trigger the sensor in the dash so i guess you should buy it from your local dealer.

I can't figure out what my problem is though and it's starting to piss me off.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i dont believe there is a need if you get the proper buld that isnt the el cheapo 5 for a dollar pack bulbs... but if u buy decent bulbs you wont have this problem

·
Registered
597 Posts
LED's or any other aftermarket bulb can trigger that light!!! the tail lamp malf light goes off resistance of the circuit. if you change to led's or any other bulb it will most probably have a different resistance hence the light coming on... REPLACE W/ TOYOTA OEM BULBS if that doesnt fix it you have a high resistance somewhere in your wiring/ bulb sockets!!! brake light switch has nothing to do with the lamp malf light. and ive never seen it be anything else other thana bulb out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.