Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed yesterday that the bottom of my Carson Tuned front bumper is pretty banged up. The bottom has had a few unfortunate scrapes which I can live with, but it looks like the fiberglass has cracked in two places. Along with the cracks, some of the paint has chipped off in those spots.

So the question is, do I try to repair the thing myself? Or take it to the shop this winter (planning on swapping to OEM for the winter)

I'm not too thrilled over those fiberglass repair kits that require you to fiber, sand, smooth and paint. My thoughts were to just add some extra fiber material to the inner side of the bumper just to reinforce the crack.

What say you

Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
have you ever worked with fiberglass?

Ever done the mix?

Ever sanded fiberglass?

If the answers are no to any of them, run away and get a shop to do it, not to bash but a lot of people say they can do it but then they get sanding and leave lines and ridges etc..and it takes a shop more time to get the mistakes out nad more money

So I say take it somewhere

I have done fiberglass, C/F etc...and believe me its not easy, and it is messy :lol:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
have you ever worked with fiberglass?

Ever done the mix?

Ever sanded fiberglass?

If the answers are no to any of them, run away and get a shop to do it, not to bash but a lot of people say they can do it but then they get sanding and leave lines and ridges etc..and it takes a shop more time to get the mistakes out nad more money

So I say take it somewhere

I have done fiberglass, C/F etc...and believe me its not easy, and it is messy :lol:

How about attaching an aluminum base peice to protect the bottom. A metal strip would certainly avoid scrapes and can be hidden. It would hide any previous damage as well as future impact/ pavement scrapes. Also makes a good winter project while the is bumper off.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
digger08 said:
How about attaching an aluminum base peice to protect the bottom. A metal strip would certainly avoid scrapes and can be hidden. It would hide any previous damage as well as future impact/ pavement scrapes. Also makes a good winter project while the is bumper off.

yeah I thought of that one time

Just have to get tiny rivets and make a "scuff" plate or get fiberglass/ Carbon Fiber resin and make a thick coating

if done right it will be thick enough to try to help it out

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMPRIMIS, never used fiberglass before. Figured it would be messy. But I was also only thinking about applying it to the inside of the bumper. that way any mess is consealed. It doesn't help the paint chipping, etc that I've got going on now, but it would hold everything in place.

Digger, I was thinking along the same lines before all this occured.
The local auto shop sells this rubberized stuff in an aerosol can. It's used for truck beddings, lining. I was going to mask off most of the bumper except the bottom lip. Wouldn't be visible when on the car, and hopefully take the impact of those unfortunate scrapes.

I like the idea of using a metal plate, and you're right. It WOULD make a good winter project. I'm definitely going to swap in my OEM bumper for the winter. Glad I didnt' sell it.

So after all this, what are we sayin? Take it to the shop and get it repaired...then take some steps to protect the bottom lip. What do you guys think of the rubberized coating?

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
putting it on the inside will only reinforce not repair still have to use a 2-part mix and sanding etc..

And there is a 99.5% chance people that have never sanded will leave a bigger issue to fix

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
happysmp said:
IMPRIMIS, never used fiberglass before. Figured it would be messy. But I was also only thinking about applying it to the inside of the bumper. that way any mess is consealed. It doesn't help the paint chipping, etc that I've got going on now, but it would hold everything in place.

Digger, I was thinking along the same lines before all this occured.
The local auto shop sells this rubberized stuff in an aerosol can. It's used for truck beddings, lining. I was going to mask off most of the bumper except the bottom lip. Wouldn't be visible when on the car, and hopefully take the impact of those unfortunate scrapes.

I like the idea of using a metal plate, and you're right. It WOULD make a good winter project. I'm definitely going to swap in my OEM bumper for the winter. Glad I didnt' sell it.

So after all this, what are we sayin? Take it to the shop and get it repaired...then take some steps to protect the bottom lip. What do you guys think of the rubberized coating?

I think it would be too heavy and cause some sagging in the middle of the bumper. It also may grip on pavement when you do bottom out. Its still better to scuff and slide along the ashfault then it is to grip it and rip it. I would stick with aluminum in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
digger08 said:
I think it would be too heavy and cause some sagging in the middle of the bumper. It also may grip on pavement when you do bottom out. Its still better to scuff and slide along the ashfault then it is to grip it and rip it. I would stick with aluminum in my opinion.
some thin sheet metal will do :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
dont forget haha it itches like crazy!

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
thats what we did with irv's xb sideskirt. we just added a few layers of glass on the backside to strengthen it and stop the crack from spreading. it still requires laying glass, but no sanding or painting. if you are not comfortable glassing then this would be the easiest thing to start with. as long as you mask the painted areas so resin doesnt get on there.

another option, since it is the bottom, is to fill in the chips and reenforce the cracks, and then coat the bottom with a black paint or truck liner or something.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
glassing is just putting resin on the backside?
I was thinking the exact same thing regarding using rubberized truck liner. I spoke with a body shop about it and they said it wouldn't be a good idea. Simply because of the fact that when/if the fiberglass ever break and repairs need to be done, it' will be a pain to get that rubber coating off to fix.

Guess I'll have to take it to the shop and figure out how much it'll cost.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
glassing is laying fiberglass. ive heard of ppl and shops using only resin but it seems like it would be too brittle by itself. i agree on the rubberize coating, i put some on my lip and then i cracked it and had to repair it, and that crap is a pain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts