Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have the altezza chrome 3 bar grille. I'm not a fan at all of chrome, so I painted it black with blue accents to match the car. Anyhow, I got some rock chips on the grille and I'm looking to repaint the whole thing.

My question is what is the best way to do this? What kinds of products can I use to remove the paint with melting the plastic? Any information would be very helpful. I was thinking of using aircraft stripper but I have a feeling it will eat away at the grille as well.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SAND BLAST!?

you gotta be kidding...

So really sanding is the only way to go? I thought some of you guys used some kind of chemical?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is just plastic fwiw

So get a scotchbrite pad and go to town

sand smooth

Primer

Paint

Clear

viola

I've always wondered what "fwiw" means...lol

Anyhow I'll check out this scotchbrite...never heard of it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW...which pads should I use. The only pads I've come across are the kitchen top cleaners, and the stainless steel cleaners. Both of which are "scratch free pads"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use brake fluid to remove paint on plastic products. The brake fluid will not harm or attack the plastic at all. You will need a plastic tub big enough for the grille to fit down into & enough brake fluid in it to let it soak in for a while. Once the paint starts to lift scrub it with a soft to medium bristled brush. This will take a few times soaking & scubbing but it works without harming the plastic. Just make sure you wash the grille off really well with soap & water before you have it painted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts