Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Lexus is300
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m thinking about getting this altezza grill from a friend for a good price but I want to repaint it to look oem has anyone done it and it doesn’t look hazy all the Chrome rattle cans I’ve used make the object look really hazy (the bottom grill)

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota Altezza RS200 Z-Edition
13 Posts
So I’m thinking about getting this altezza grill from a friend for a good price but I want to repaint it to look oem has anyone done it and it doesn’t look hazy all the Chrome rattle cans I’ve used make the object look really hazy (the bottom grill)
While all of the above replies are true, some spray cans may come pretty close to that factory "chrome" look (which was somewhat ~plasticky on that original altezza grill to begin with anyway).

Have you seen this comparison on youtube from a couple years back? The author does a quick test to compare rustoleum metallic versus mirror spray paints.

the video link

From experience, I would say that you should* be able to get the finish as good, or even better what is in the video - depending on how thorough the preparation and attention to detail is. At the end of the day, spray paint is not going to be a 100% replacement for factory 'chrome' finish, but I know for a fact that with good prep, appropriate primer, a reasonable number of thin layers of the paint itself (allowing each coat to dry properly - i.e. not in the dark, etc), as well as a proper finishing (clear coat)... you can definitely have results that are worth it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts