Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
15,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the lid (the plastic lid that is covered with cloth) comes off really easy, stick a flat knife under the front and pry up, theres two front clips and two back ones, after prying it off the front two it will swing right out. it comes off very easy. after you take the lid off, you can see two screws towards the front, if you look directly down in to the holes the lid exposes. unscrew those two screws and take them out, put them aside. now, take a flat butter knife or really thin screwdriver and pry up at the bottom of the lint collector (where it meets the top of the ac control console)there are three clips holding it down, on on each side and one in the center, this should also pop up with minimal force. (try not to push too hard using the ac control panel as leverage because you can possibly damage the head unit or other components) then stick a flat butterknife or something, at the top of the lint collector (where the top ridge meets the rest of the dash) and use the leverage to pry the whole thing str8 out (towards you, not up or down) there are three tabs on top, and one each side(attached to the vents)this might take a little more force, be careful so you do not scratch or bend anything. the vents are attached as a unit and can be seperated from the console, but if you take it apart then its like a puzzle to put back together.

it is very possible to put a navi in because the screen would just fold down (like the altezza) and you can fabricate and integrate a button to make it pop up, and there are holes for the tab (which will be taken off if yo udo in stall a navi) so you can run your wires pretty easily. now if i can only figure out how to remove the armrest console between the driver and passenger seats (anyone with a shop manual wanna help me out?)

·
8,880 Posts
Thanks for the pics/instructions. Not knowing how to remove that thing was driving me crazy. Maybe somebody else figured out how to remove the arm rest console. I did remove it in my prev toyota (97 corolla). The interior design seems to be similar. If I remember correctly, I had to remove screws on the top and on the side. Remove a pannel connecting bottom portion of the dash and console. Then I was able to take it out. IS seems to be missing that part (all in 1 piece). In the IS It felt like the top portion needs to be removed first.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think there are screws in the armrest console under the felt trays INSIDE the little pop open compartment. I didn't actually remove the console completely but I loostened the screws so that I could push a power wire through on its way back to my subwoofer amp.

·
15,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah TEG, i got a chance to check out DTEW's shop manual today at the meet. there are six screws, one on each side, two up front and two near the back. but i wont have a chance to try taking it out since she's going in for surgery tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
thank you don, now i have some idea of how i can mount my fuel computers and stuff, it looks like there is plenty of room for that and an HKS camp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing