Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently found a pic of a silver is300 with the door moldings shaved and thought it was hot, so now i want to shave my door moldings off. I just need to make sure of some things before i do anything. I need to know if the door moldings are taped on like our emblems or are they clipped on and needs to be filled in. for the people that has theirs shaved please help me out. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,924 Posts
door moldings as in the "bar" that runs along the bottom of the doors?

i know for that lil one on the fenders its taped and has prongs/holes....no to mention its a huge dent into the body too....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,954 Posts
xGxHyPxGx said:
Ive recently found a pic of a silver is300 with the door moldings shaved and thought it was hot, so now i want to shave my door moldings off. I just need to make sure of some things before i do anything. I need to know if the door moldings are taped on like our emblems or are they clipped on and needs to be filled in. for the people that has theirs shaved please help me out. thanks
Get a good shop that knows how to weld the thin sheet metal on the door...

I have seen some 1/2 way done shave jobs.... :jawDrop:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
The doors don't have any holes in them. The moldings are held on by double sided tape. There are 2 holes behind the molding on the fender. My moldings are gone too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,954 Posts
goldaltezza808 said:
The doors don't have any holes in them. The moldings are held on by double sided tape. There are 2 holes behind the molding on the fender. My moldings are gone too.
All you did was pull trim off...not shave ;)

pulled trim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,924 Posts
^^^HOLY CRAP... is that intercooler for real??? it doesnt look real..

haha...jesus...and the pulled moldings looks weird...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,954 Posts
JAEohEN said:
^^^HOLY CRAP... is that intercooler for real??? it doesnt look real..

haha...jesus...and the pulled moldings looks weird...

yes it is real, and yeah I agree with the wierd part on just having the moldings pulled off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,568 Posts
It is a lot of work for someone to do it RIGHT. I was going to pull them off but quickly realized that I would have bitten off more than I could have done.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,754 Posts
texis_300 said:
It is a lot of work for someone to do it RIGHT. I was going to pull them off but quickly realized that I would have bitten off more than I could have done.....
it doesnt sound that hard. if its held on with 3m tape just heat it up and use dental floss or fishing line and peal away. just like removeing the emblems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,561 Posts
baadhabit said:
it doesnt sound that hard. if its held on with 3m tape just heat it up and use dental floss or fishing line and peal away. just like removeing the emblems
Then what does it look like after finish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
removing the door moldings will not have any holes but the small piece in the front is held with double sided tape and tabs. thus body shop is needed.

the other thing is i don't think it will look right to have the thin line across the car to me just doesn't look right.

I always thought why remove the moldings so it looks like the new 5 series. but it won't because our IS was not designed like that.

Don't get me wrong the new 5 series with no moldings does look hot but if you notice they also blend the rocker panel also... get my drift?

:lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,234 Posts
lexus84 said:
if anyone has pics of my car...i have my moldings and handles shaved...and it came out fine...

same goes for me. No waves, smooth as it would be from factory.

I have had it for about 2 years and nothing has cracked yet *knock on wood*. Sophiesleeps car has the molding shaved and filled and also his back door. As long as the bodyshop that is doing is legit with just collision repair and they know what a smooth and straight surface looks like and feels like they should be able to do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,978 Posts
I personally don't like the IS as much without the side moldings. The body and lines of the car are soo good looking, I don't see a need to change it. After seeing the '06 GS300 AWD (doesn't have side moldings), I realized that it would look 100x better with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,754 Posts
AntzLexusIS said:
removing the door moldings will not have any holes but the small piece in the front is held with double sided tape and tabs. thus body shop is needed.



:lol:
:wtf: what? "small piece in the front" i assume is the piece on the fender. ? is that the only place with tabs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,142 Posts
I kinda want to do it, my driverside molding is very scratched, I also like the way the car in the link looks like.
I also have some experience welding, and pretty good with bondo.
Plus I have access to a paintshop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,954 Posts
baadhabit said:
:wtf: what? "small piece in the front" i assume is the piece on the fender. ? is that the only place with tabs?
Yes it has tabs on it
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top