Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Planning on removing my Carson Tuned Rear Lip.
It's held on to the car using double sided adhesive and screws in the wheel well.

Want to know the safest way to remove the lip. Do I use a heat gun to loosed the rear? I'm concerned about the paint bubbling or something

HELP
Thanks

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
happysmp said:
selling it
doing a Carson Tuned to L-Tuned conversion
Lucky you, then I assume you've been able to find an authentic L-tuned front? :) *jealous*

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
happysmp said:
I'm sure you can't just pull it off...you must have to heat it or something no?

Maybe found a front.
If its double sided tape, you can just pull it off. Like rllinghardis300 said, there will be residue left but you can use something like goo-gone to get if off. Using a heat gun will make it easier to get one of the sides off so you can gently pull the rest off.

·
Registered
527 Posts
when i tooke off my greddy front lip i had ot pull it so hard to get it off cuz htat double sided tape is a biatch. well that's what i did, but im nto sure if there's a better way to do this.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
happysmp said:
I'm sure you can't just pull it off...you must have to heat it or something no?

Maybe found a front.
Happy, as mentioned above use some Googone or Orangepeel glue
remover. Heat always helps. If you're worried about the paint
being damaged just use a hairdryer since a heatgun will get HOT.

Double sided tape or foam tape is gonna be a biatch to remove so
be patient.

j

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Use a heat gun to heat it up then use goo-gone to take off the rest of the sticky stuff. I have done this many times and it works perfectly.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
also try spraying some wd40 or some pbblaster down the seam so it starts working on the double sided tape in the meantime. it help help you pull it off after you warm it up

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You can also try 3M Adhesive Remover in spray can form. Let it sit and use a heat gun/hairdryer to speed things up. :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
cmondamnit said:
Fishing line? Usually works with removing double sided tape. Might be a little harder with a rear bumper lip.
What I was going to suggest.

Hairdrier, fishing line, and patience. Start at one end and work your way to the other.

User Goo Gone for any leftover adhesive/tape.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
cmondamnit said:
Fishing line? Usually works with removing double sided tape. Might be a little harder with a rear bumper lip.

yup, pull a bit on the side until you can work the fishing line to where the tape is, then start sawing away.

last time i took off my carson rear i just grabbed a corner and yanked it off.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys,

removed the lip last weekend...and it was a breeze!!!!
used some lubricant and goo gone...sprayed the seam...let it set for 20 minutes while I was painting my calipers (the other weekend project)...got some fishing line...and see-sawed it until it came off...no real amount of force or anything....

Crappy'st part was getting the adhesive off my car...sat there for 15-20 minutes, picking at it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts