Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone knows what I'm talking about... The rear is the worst and I am just wondering what everyone is doing to clean this up. I have my calipers painted and it doesn't do it any justice when there is rust everywhere on the rotor. Pisses me off!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
taking my car in next week to have my ECU/TRAC and calibration updated. They said they will clean the rust on my rotors and free safety check. I know if u purchase the car from LExus your safety check is free as long as u own the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think there's really anything that can be done. You could try some brakeleen to remove the oxidation, but every time you step on the brakes, the pads expose new metal from the rotors for moisture to attack and oxidation to occur. If there's anything out there that can keep it clean. . .I'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah....drive your car.

lol...

rotors are made of solid steel, they will develop little rust spots when not used.

or go buy some carbon fiber rotors for 50 bazillion dollars.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
DYSFUNCTIONAL,
Hey bra! Can tell you from Hawaii! I think Hawaii is one of the few states that do safety checks.
He He

No worries ...I from Hawaii, too, so I got yo back (moved to San Diego 5 yrs ago).

As for the rotors rusting, there is nothing you can do about it. Using your brakes will expose the rotors to the elements causing rusting. There are after market rotors out there that claim that their rotors reduce rusting. I have never really seen these after market rotors in action in person, but it could be a possible solution if you want to pay for new rotors.

IS300_white

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Howzit guys,

I never really noticed the rust on the rotors. It's just something you have to deal with when you're surrounded by open ocean.

BTW I was on Oahu recently for a day, and didn't see a single IS on the road. Where you guys stay?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Hey Risk,
When I was on Oah'u three weeks ago, I saw a silver IS parked on Mapunapuna near the Toyota Dealer. The driver was a pretty hapa girl, too! You just gotta look around.

K-den,
IS300_white

·
11,062 Posts
I wasn't bothered until my neighbor pointed it out and asked me if I was gonna do something about it. Well, I don't know what to do!

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
People, take note that there's two different kinds of rust being talked about here:

a) rust on the rotor itself, the part that comes in contacts with the brake pads. This rust will come off the next time you use the brakes. Then after some rain, they'll be rusty again... Nothing you can do about that.

b) rust on the center of the rotor, like shown in the second picture above. That you CAN do something about. I painted that area on my Miata's brakes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should have painted that part when I did my calipers. Oh well I'll have to buy another caliper paint kit. What a pain in the arse!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've seen the aftermarket rotors and they definitely do prevent the rust from occurring on the hub part as in the pic a few posts above. A friend of mine installed a set of Powerslot rotors and they are zinc/nickel plated and so far, they have held up really well, still the shiny silver that they were when new. If you want to keep the stock rotors, do what the webmaster has done and use high temp caliper paint after you clean the excess rust off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
10 Participants
SiRDoug
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing