Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
moving the battery to the trunk...well if the battery weighs about 30lbs, and the car about 3000. removing 30 lbs from the front owuld be about 1% and shifting that to the back makes a 2% total difference. i don't know if nay of that makes any sense but if you're a perfectionist it might be worth it, or if you're bmw, it looks damn good on paper.

[From TEG: Well, that would go from 54/46% to 52/48% which is an improvement... I bet the battery weighs more like 50lbs though.]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by mrclam:
moving the battery to the trunk...well if the battery weighs about 30lbs, and the car about 3000. removing 30 lbs from the front owuld be about 1% and shifting that to the back makes a 2% total difference. i don't know if nay of that makes any sense but if you're a perfectionist it might be worth it, or if you're bmw, it looks damn good on paper.

[From TEG: Well, that would go from 54/46% to 52/48% which is an improvement... I bet the battery weighs more like 50lbs though.]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 23, 2000).]
will u ever, ever, ever, ever, ever notice this? of course not.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
If it ain't broke, why fix it?
The JZ family of engines is used all over the JDM Toyota line. I tend to think of it as the workhorse of larger engines that Toyota uses...plus it comes in NA and turbocharged versions.

I'm guessing right now that Toyota is in the R&D phase of a new all-alloy 2.5-3.0L inline six engine family. Toyota is starting to phase in new all-alloy engines (like the ZZ [Celica, Corolla] family, AZ family [new RAV4], and UZ family [Lexus V8's]), so I would expect to see an all-alloy counterpart of the JZ family soon.

In summation, Toyota just doesn't have a production all-alloy inline 6 yet. I'm pretty sure they will in a few years.

Originally posted by EricK:
Now say the IS300 had an Aluminum block instead of its existing cast iron block, Would it have a near 50/50 weight distribution like that of the BMW 330i? If so, why in the world did Lexus opt to continue using the old iron block in an all new car
Eric.....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts