Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the IS300 is slightly nose heavy. Have any of you guys considering relocating your battery to the trunk or underneath the rear seat (like some German cars). It probably wouldn't help that much, but it would make the car less nose heavy.
Eric....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have been thinking about it, and consider it a good idea. I might leave it in front so I get enough juice to my upcoming "electric supercharger"

·
Registered
323 Posts
youre going to buy one of those gimmicks? id say save your money... but i t hink it would be cool to remount the battery to the trunk.

mike

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
electric supercharger is great. I saw them using it on Cal Poly Pomona's Formula SAE car, and they are so much better than any supercharger out there (at least for small engines Formula SAE requires). The reason electric superchargers are good is that they can be dialed in to supply constant boost, all you need is a good electric motor and enough electricity to drive it.
TEG, let us know how you are doing it, maybe that is the best route to go.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I am a little dubious about the electric supercharger, but I am going to try one anyways.

Their main downside is that they have limited output (maybe 1.5lbs boost) because they can only get so much motor power from the electrical system before you have power shortage problems.

If I am lucky I might gain 15hp. Nothing like a full blown turbo or belt driven supercharger, but for $300 and easy installation it is worth a try.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you guys found an area in the trunk suitable to confine the battery?
Eric....

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
u guys are going to rig your battery to a rear-mount config to redistribute 25-30 pounds? omg...

how often are you pushing your is300 to the absolute limit on us1 that you find yourself thinking, "man, if only my car had, say, about 30 lbs. in the back...that would really help the weight distribution..."

hilarious

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was going to put an anvil in the trunk to balance the car and improve traction.

[From TEG: I considered putting Geoff in the trunk to help balance out the weight.
Perhaps DonCorleone has some "dead weight" in his trunk too...
]

TEG - which electric SC are you using?

[From TEG: eRAM ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by geoff:
u guys are going to rig your battery to a rear-mount config to redistribute 25-30 pounds? omg...

how often are you pushing your is300 to the absolute limit on us1 that you find yourself thinking, "man, if only my car had, say, about 30 lbs. in the back...that would really help the weight distribution..."

hilarious
Geoff,
If it's something that TEG had considered then it's probably something worthwhile...
Eric....

[From TEG: I have been known to try some "experiments" that didn't end up working out. I will let you know if this turns out to be a "mad scientist" idea gone awry, or if it actually works. ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
306 Posts
You also have to consider the additional weight of running the battery cables to the rear. It's probably not as much as the battery, but I bet they aren't light.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Geoff,
If it's something that TEG had considered then it's probably something worthwhile...
Eric....
um, not really. think about what you are proposing, then ask if it would manifest on skidpad/slalom instrumentation, let alone your perception as a driver.

my cls doesn't have as good of weight balance as the is300, and i have pushed the thing incredibly hard through some twisties with zero adverse effects. the battery relocation idea is not worth the hassle at all. not even close. in fact, you may be looking at a voided warranty, etc., if you start messing around with stuff like that. just plain silly.

i own a porsche 951, known for its handling, so i'm coming from experience here.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
I am a little dubious about the electric supercharger, but I am going to try one anyways.

Their main downside is that they have limited output (maybe 1.5lbs boost) because they can only get so much motor power from the electrical system before you have power shortage problems.

If I am lucky I might gain 15hp. Nothing like a full blown turbo or belt driven supercharger, but for $300 and easy installation it is worth a try.
You may want to try the racing pulleys instead, which let the engine underdrives the other systems. It is simpler and works out to ~10 HP.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
In theory the electric S/C should boost power at low RPMs. The pulley would have less effect until you reach high RPMs.

Also the pulley would reduce my A/C output, and reduce my alternator output (which I need to drive the subwoofer amp). Normally an undersized crank pulley also underdrives the water pump which isn't a good thing when increasing power output.

I am a little worried that the subwoofer and electric S/C will tax the electrical system, but at least I have a bit more juice from disconnecting the DRLs and heated mirrors.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
In theory the electric S/C should boost power at low RPMs. The pulley would have less effect until you reach high RPMs.

Also the pulley would reduce my A/C output, and reduce my alternator output (which I need to drive the subwoofer amp). Normally an undersized crank pulley also underdrives the water pump which isn't a good thing when increasing power output.

I am a little worried that the subwoofer and electric S/C will tax the electrical system, but at least I have a bit more juice from disconnecting the DRLs and heated mirrors.
I also upgraded the radiator, so it works fine for the pulley to underdrive the water pump even continuously at higher RPMs. But the AC and the sound quality of the subwoofer near idle could be a problem........
As a sidenote, a lightened flywheel could also release some usable HP to the wheels. But it would make the idle less stable.

[This message has been edited by LexusIS300 (edited October 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
i say do what teg has already done.. throw a big subwoofer w/amps in the back... that should add a little heft to the rear!

just my .02

------------------
Marlon
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now say the IS300 had an Aluminum block instead of its existing cast iron block, Would it have a near 50/50 weight distribution like that of the BMW 330i? If so, why in the world did Lexus opt to continue using the old iron block in an all new car. That doesn't make any sense to me, especially considering that outstanding weight balance is a factor when taking aim at the BMW 3-series in the handling dept. (which is the IS's direct competitor).. Lexus has the Suspension geometry and only needs to be better balanced. That's an unstoppable combination..
Eric.....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think Lexus/Toyota does not want to experiment a new engine on a new car, especially a Lexus car. Toyota is not known for building engines, most of their good/high end engines are build or developed by Yamaha (most recently, the Altezza RS engine). Also, I think the Aluminum block will drive the price of the IS and GS up a bit too much, so in order to keep the price down, they decided to keep the old design. Like most magazine said, this is first generation of IS300/Altezza, it will take a while to really touch the BMW market share. I'll be surprise if anyone can have a first generation car that can touch the 3-series's market.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Daniel,
If you think that Lexus is using the iron block to drive the prices down, you don't forsee an aluminum engine block replacement in the near future?
Eric...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hey if you guys want to move your battery to the trunk. Summit has a relocation kit that is universal. I did it on my CRX to add more room for the turbo manifold. This is really not needed unless you plan on autocrossing though. The wires are big and heavy so hiding them under the int carpeting will be a little challenge in itself. I think its better left alone until you have some major mods...I'm with Geoff on this one

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Erick, I don't see them putting an Aluminum block into the current generation of GS and IS. Maybe the next generation. I think they want to make sure that this version of the IS/Altezza doesn't have any problem so people can start to have confident in them. Remember, when you try to do too much at a time, you are bound to fail. Just give it time, the engine will be improved and the IS will be a real competitor that may eventually defeat the 3-series, but don't expect too much at this time, they have done a great job already.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts