Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Thanks for the help black86. I am sure everyone is waiting to see.
looking at your prior pictures. did you end up using 90* fittings on the remote filter end? I have a cooler setup waiting to go in but i sourced -8AN lines and fittings because there will be long lines and an oil cooler setup before it goes back into the engine. I don't know if potential customer will be doing this as well. but this was always my end goal. I have the filter mount on order and should be here before Tuesday. thanks again! and glad I could help!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
looking at your prior pictures. did you end up using 90* fittings on the remote filter end? I have a cooler setup waiting to go in but i sourced -8AN lines and fittings because there will be long lines and an oil cooler setup before it goes back into the engine. I don't know if potential customer will be doing this as well. but this was always my end goal. I have the filter mount on order and should be here before Tuesday. thanks again! and glad I could help!

I use 90 degree at the motor adapter and straight at the remote mount.

I would not use dash 8, It is a bit small in volume. You can do 10 or 12 with no ill effects.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I use 90 degree at the motor adapter and straight at the remote mount.

I would not use dash 8, It is a bit small in volume. You can do 10 or 12 with no ill effects.
-8AN was recommended to me by a reputable builder. then again this was going in a Crosstrek with a puny 2L flat4 who's oil pump outputs 14 gallons per minute @ 6,000rpm. do you know the IS' oil pump output? I've been looking but I'll ask him what he thinks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only change so far. Is to use the 90 degree outlet on the filter mount. Works perfectly.

https://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/der-25750

https://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/der-25709

Hope to have more on the stick setup next.
Hey man, just thinking out loud, but won't the 25750 adapter route the lines to the front of the car when you actually want them to go to the rear of the car...or am I missing something? It looks like the 25709 adapter gives you the option of running the lines to either the front or rear?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Hey man, just thinking out loud, but won't the 25750 adapter route the lines to the front of the car when you actually want them to go to the rear of the car...or am I missing something? It looks like the 25709 adapter gives you the option of running the lines to either the front or rear?
I've got the 25709 on order. to run towards the lines to the front and have some sensors plumbed in

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Okay black86 showed me what I thought.
It will need an braided aftermarket line. Straight to the slave unit. That way the hard line and bracket for it. Is not used. If t is done this way. It will work. You could even use an Adell clamp to hold the line at the top of the oil filter mount.

I need info on the clutch line people. Length size etc.. If anyone has done this already. Please let me know. I will start looking now.
I did find this
https://www.driftmotion.com/Full-Length-Clutch-Hose-p/dm53.htm
https://www.chasebays.com/products/chase-bays-clutch-line-lexus-is300

So it seems it is 10 x 1.0 thread and needs to be around 42 inches to totally replace. Do not know the length to just replace the short line with the little hard line.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys, I still haven't installed my kit yet, but is everyone just using a factory sized/capacity filter...or is there any room for a larger capacity filter?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys, I still haven't installed my kit yet, but is everyone just using a factory sized/capacity filter...or is there any room for a larger capacity filter?
I think we need to think about this a little bit more. Why would we want to use a larger filter? Do you need a higher capacity because you think there are more contaminants than a standard one can hold? Do you need a filter with a higher surface area? Maybe this provides better filtration but worse flow. Does a bigger filter have a less fine filter to allow better flow but more filtration?

Oil filters are kind of a mystery. Sure they filter oil, but there are more dimensions to them than I guess is obvious. Does one filter have a finer "mesh" than another? Is one part number for a certain car that needs more flow?

I think at the end of the day the safest thing to do is to just stick with the OG instead of messing around. I truly believe that at the end of the day everything is fine if we go with a different filter part number, but I like to think that a Toyota engineer used some reason for determining that the IS300 part number is the best.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I think we need to think about this a little bit more. Why would we want to use a larger filter? Do you need a higher capacity because you think there are more contaminants than a standard one can hold? Do you need a filter with a higher surface area? Maybe this provides better filtration but worse flow. Does a bigger filter have a less fine filter to allow better flow but more filtration?

Oil filters are kind of a mystery. Sure they filter oil, but there are more dimensions to them than I guess is obvious. Does one filter have a finer "mesh" than another? Is one part number for a certain car that needs more flow?

I think at the end of the day the safest thing to do is to just stick with the OG instead of messing around. I truly believe that at the end of the day everything is fine if we go with a different filter part number, but I like to think that a Toyota engineer used some reason for determining that the IS300 part number is the best.
I did this to make it easier to reach the oil filter and to add a little more capacity.
Other effect is a degree or so cooler do to heat exchange over more surface area and more capacity.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Appreciate the input, but from past experience w/a variety of platforms/engines increasing oil filter capacity size slightly never caused any issues on my end. If I can go to a slightly larger filter, it should provide slightly better filtration capability...not sure if the minimal increase in volume would have an affect on temps or not, but just the relocation itself might. I really don't see flow being impacted in a negative way as long as you keep the filter size reasonable.

I did this to make it easier to reach the oil filter and to add a little more capacity.
Other effect is a degree or so cooler do to heat exchange over more surface area and more capacity.
Agreed, as soon as my car comes back from my buddy's house, I'll get the kit installed-can't wait!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
What happened to everyone that had sticks wanting these? I have not had even any more interest from anyone. I guess I will not make any more when I get done with the few I made.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
About this Discussion
85 Replies
16 Participants
01 SolarYellow
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing