Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to make some bolt in bracket for the IS,SCandGS300 with the 2JZ. The kit will mount at the bottom of the engine at the back. Like the PHR kit. The bracket I am looking at doing in aluminum at the moment. It will use the universal Derale/Transdapt oil filter mount flange. It will be for the automatic. But I will work out stick car issues later.

Now that being said. Would anyone be interested in some. I can do it a few different ways.
1 Just the bracket.

Your lines will be around 10 inches long and need to be dash 10 size.

Please post if you are interested. It will be way cheaper than PHR kits. Will work on prices more. Once I know the direction people want more.

https://derale.com/products/filtration/engine2013-10-28-09-53-27459934969/spin-on-adapters/electric-fan-mounting-kit-metal-rod-style-detail

https://derale.com/product-footer/filtration/universal2013-10-28-09-53-271133946423/remote-filter-mounts/25750-detail

10/12/18 update Got a template made in cad and looks good printed. Will transfer to plasma table and cut the first on soon. Then testing if it turns out good.

10/29/18 Had some free time. Worked with the aluminum a while. Determined it was cost preventive. By the time it was thick enough not to bend easy. So I went with mild steel. One piece. So no welds to crack. Plus easy for me to make. I made a few. I do not have pictures in the car yet. But it fits my JIG. So it should work. I will get some pics in the car. When I get a chance. But here are some quick pictures.

12/11/18 Well had a brief moment to get under one. The bracket works perfect on the auto cars and has enough room for a PH8A filter. Hope to look at the stick setup with in the next few days. Weather and time permitting.

1/8/19 Auto brackets for sale in the Member Sale/Trade section.
https://www.my.is/forums/f99/oil-filter-relocation-brackets-606153/

2/27/19 Looking for a volunteer.

3/12/19 Need a full length or a bit longer clutch line for this to work on stick cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
why not put the filter in a location so you can access it by popping the hood? if im going to relocate the filter, i want to not have to crawl under the car if i can keep it up top. or does that create a pressure/feed issue with it being that high above the pump?

what about oil coolers? not something needed on a street car? I thought i remember reading something negative about remote oil coolers.

edit:
found it.http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/mocal-remote-oil-cooler-thermostat-high-temp-p-345.html
Thermostats ensure that the oil reaches proper operating temperatures as quickly as possible after start-up to prevent excessive engine wear. Running an oil cooler without a thermostat in non-racing conditions or in cooler weather will result in unsafely-low oil temperatures which can damage your engine.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not put the filter in a location so you can access it by popping the hood? if im going to relocate the filter, i want to not have to crawl under the car if i can keep it up top. or does that create a pressure/feed issue with it being that high above the pump?

what about oil coolers? not something needed on a street car? I thought i remember reading something negative about remote oil coolers.

edit:
found it.Mocal Remote Oil Cooler Thermostat, High Temp A0T2-XXHT
Done a ton of installs with my old version. Never had a problem. I gave one to one guy and he had an issue because he crossed up the lines to the wrong ports. As soon as he flipped the one set of connections. The pressure came right up.As for up top mount. Very messy and you still need to go under to drain the pan. Plus longer run so you take more room from your bay that is already cramped.

As for oil coolers. I am not doing any oil cooler stuff. The kit would work fine with the factory GTE or aftermarket. I would only do oil cooler for someone doing fair amount of track time.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much for just the puppy, i have my own means to get bags mounted.
I will determine a price on the bracket. Once I finish with the bracket in aluminum and know it works and is not weak. At the moument if everything works with the first one. In the gauge aluminum I am going to try. Maybe around $50 usd shipped. For just the bracket. But time will tell.

·
Registered
754 Posts
thanks for the info. after i posted my comment/post i realized that it would create a mess in the bay (like you state). if the kit is low car friendly (assuming it is), id be interested. $567 for manual cars seems ridiculous. will wait for results/updates!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info. after i posted my comment/post i realized that it would create a mess in the bay (like you state). if the kit is low car friendly (assuming it is), id be interested. $567 for manual cars seems ridiculous. will wait for results/updates!
It will not hang down. You can bottom the car out and not touch it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any updates?
Been testing. It took a bit to figure out the gauge to use in aluminum and get materials. I am only doing it with spare time and money. I had to modify the cad drawing. The dimensions from the manufacture of the filter mounts. Where off slightly. Good thing I had an actual piece here to check against.

It is funny. I have not seen much interest. I guess everyone are pictures whores and are waiting for that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Been testing. It took a bit to figure out the gauge to use in aluminum and get materials. I am only doing it with spare time and money. I had to modify the cad drawing. The dimensions from the manufacture of the filter mounts. Where off slightly. Good thing I had an actual piece here to check against.

It is funny. I have not seen much interest. I guess everyone are pictures whores and are waiting for that.
I’ll throw in R&D money...if you send me the 1st production ready 1 0:)
Send me a pm

·
Registered
469 Posts
I will make a few brackets the first run. So far I have only seen posts from just a couple of members. It should be no problem. Like I said, just making sure it will sturdy.
I’m a picture whore. But I also have a manual trans. The way it is now, I have to unbolt my FPR to get to the oil filter. Not a big deal but the oil change has always been messy and I feel the runoff eats the motor mounts up.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m a picture whore. But I also have a manual trans. The way it is now, I have to unbolt my FPR to get to the oil filter. Not a big deal but the oil change has always been messy and I feel the runoff eats the motor mounts up.
Once I know the bracket is sturdy. I have a kid locally that has a stick car. He said we could take a peak on his. If anyone has done the PHR one on a stick car. If they had pictures they could show me. I may be able to start figuring out. What needs to be done.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
About this Discussion
85 Replies
16 Participants
01 SolarYellow
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing