Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the IS 300's reliability compared to others in its class? From repairs, breakdowns, stuff squeaking, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IS JOE said:
Its the best

no I'm not exaggerating, lol click here
Nice, that makes me feel better. But, I am still kind of scared because I read all these forums about all these little problems, noises, squeaks, CD player issues, etc. So I guess what I’m asking is, from driving it for a few years what is it reliability or quality vs. other cars?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Consumer Reports has it ranked #1 in reliability in the "Upscale Sedan" category. It is literally off the chart in terms of how much more it is reliable than other cars in its class. It's an impressive chart. Guess which makes are at the bottom?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think Lexus will replace the CD player for you if you got the old model if you are in the warranty period. Some people have had no problems at all with the CD player.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Excellent!

52K miles on my 2001 and the CD player has really been the only issue with this car and as the previous poster eluded to, they replaced mine under warranty when my cd got lost inside of it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Maybe there is a different scale for 'upscale' cars, but I think the reliability sucks. Sure, it's great compared to a BMW. My experience has been that the IS300 is the least reliable Japanese car I've ever owned. I have an '01 IS300 that has required 2 or 3 times the repairs in its first 70k miles that my old Accord did in 250k miles.

It may be best in class, but the class must be special ed.

That said, I still love the car. The reliability is just a little closer to the German than Japanese end of the spectrum. :suspiciou

·
Registered
656 Posts
Tyler H said:
Maybe there is a different scale for 'upscale' cars, but I think the reliability sucks. Sure, it's great compared to a BMW. My experience has been that the IS300 is the least reliable Japanese car I've ever owned. I have an '01 IS300 that has required 2 or 3 times the repairs in its first 70k miles that my old Accord did in 250k miles.

That said, I still love the car. The reliability is just a little closer to the German than Japanese end of the spectrum. :suspiciou
What problems have you had, may I ask? Also, sometimes reliability improves after the first model year.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
lexusdude said:
Nice, that makes me feel better. But, I am still kind of scared because I read all these forums about all these little problems, noises, squeaks, CD player issues, etc. So I guess what I’m asking is, from driving it for a few years what is it reliability or quality vs. other cars?
Don't forget though... people come here to ask for help on their problems... that's why you may see so much chat about them. But just because you see 5 problems... doesn't mean you will have all five! Hell you might not even have one.

There are a number of problems frequently discussed on this forum that I do not have with my car. So when you see problems on here... take it as something that MAY happen... not something that will happen.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Tyler H said:

Are you being serious???

What went wrong with your car?

And to "lexusdude"... this guy is a RARE exception.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tyler H said:

my car's reliability doesn't suck.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Crester said:
Are you being serious???

What went wrong with your car?

And to "lexusdude"... this guy is a RARE exception.
Yes, I was going to add the fact that this particular car must be an anomoly, lexusdude. No offense. Sometimes a car turns out to be a bad apple, but I think if you polled most of us here the problems are very, very limited. The CD Player problem is widely known about, also to Lexus, and they have been good about changing it for a new one, from what I gather (haven't had the problem myself), but that is minor compared to things many cars suffer from. Don't most cars have the occasional squeak?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Most cars have more than a few rattles and squeeks. I think the problem with out car is... it's so quiet that we hear every little minor squeek. And also... since it's a Lexus, we expect perfection.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Crester said:
Most cars have more than a few rattles and squeeks. I think the problem with out car is... it's so quiet that we hear every little minor squeek. And also... since it's a Lexus, we expect perfection.
That's true...one barely hears the engine while driving, so other things are heightened. lexusdude, I have never owned any car for more than two years, but the IS is my first real "keeper." I love driving it, people notice it, and I love the comfort of knowing I have one of the most reliable cars on the road.

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
lets put it this way.. if at 100k, all u are concerned about is a few squeaks and rattles as opposed to tranny failures and engine seizures (read german cars) then I would say, yeah .. the car is reliable.

lexusdude..the car is solid, and wont leave u stranded on the roadside , unless you totally abuse the living crap out of it. Reliability wise, you can do better with only an LS.

·
Registered
590 Posts
66k miles here.
Car still tight as a drum.
No mechanical repairs yet.
Still on original brake pads and clutch.
Gone through lots of tires though (4 sets).
This car is as reliable as my old SC400 - 250K and only needed a power steering pump and alternator replacement.
I had a few bulletproof Celicas and a Supra before that.
Toyota reliability is outstanding.
I don't have any squeaks or rattles, but hey, that's what radios are for - just turn up the volume.

·
Registered
656 Posts
85eliminator said:
I don't have any squeaks or rattles, but hey, that's what radios are for - just turn up the volume.
I hear ya! The only rattles I hear are my speakers pumping out some great music! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts