Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the lastest issue of Automobile magazine..their long term bmw 323i has 30,000 miles in one year and it was trouble free..and motor trend report that their long term bmw 328i was also trouble free..maybe the 3 series are as reliable as IS300 after all
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Uh, so this representative sample is taken from ONE car, for ONE year? I think the long-term tests are more for the purpose of seeing how people like the car after driving it for a while, not for reliability study. The sample of one car is basically meaningless. BMW's are just reliable enough that reliability is not an issue for buyers. Lexus is so reliable that is becomes a positive issue for buyers. The reverse is true for companies like VW, Volvo, or Saab.

Originally posted by polobee69:
In the lastest issue of Automobile magazine..their long term bmw 323i has 30,000 miles in one year and it was trouble free..and motor trend report that their long term bmw 328i was also trouble free..maybe the 3 series are as reliable as IS300 after all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Really, at this point we don't know what the IS300's reliability is going to be like. Yeah, it's a Lexus but we'll see. I know BMW has had its problems, but from everything I've heard the 3 series model is ranked pretty high on the initial quality scale.

------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to ckolsen
i think everyone in this forum knows bmw's are great driving car no matter if they like their IS better or not..and now that we know the bmw are as reliable as a lexus..it just makes bmw a better car...and i didnt said better than a lexus so dun flame me...=)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
actuallly, i've heard that most bmw's get their problems later in their life span and thats' when the constant electrical problrms being to arise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
polobee69: We do know they're great driving cars. But your citation only confirms that 2 still-new-car-smell 3-series out of the 30,000+ that was sold in the US last year has performed flawlessly. That's hardly enough evidence to conclude at anything, much less that they have matched the industry leader for reliability.

mrclam: That's precisely what I've heard too. Maybe BMW needs to chuck Bosch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
I had a 93 525...nice car, but if it were reliable, I'd probably still own it. From electrical probs to transmission probs, that thing was a pain in the butt.
But I suppose they've improved over time. Nevertheless, I recently test drove a 98 (not too old) 7 series at the dealership, with at least 20 conspicous problems. Need I say more?!

black/ivory
17"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
The 3 series is a great line up, but from what I hear from fellow 3 series owners, it has its share of problems. I know this first hand. I love my car regardless, but Ive had nothing BUT problems. Ive gone through 2 computers, 2 starter motors (one of which died with 100 miles on the odom) and had a lot of electrical "gremlins"; my favorites are the cool way the hazards lights shut on when I drive it hard, and the way the doors lock and unlock whenever they want to


On the upside, I have at least got to sample my favorite BMWs (the 740 and X5) as loaners


Justy
99 328i (with 70k miles)


[This message has been edited by ISsoon (edited December 06, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,938 Posts
Just to nit pick, the long term 3 Series (328i) car in Motor Trend actually had electrical problems. They said one of the tail light bulbs kept constantly blowing. Very minor I guess, but a problem is a problem...

I know a few Bimmer owners, and I think any of them will tell you that a BMW is not cheap to maintain, especially once the free maintainence runs out. I suppose MSN's Carpoint put it best in one of their reviews, it's the price you pay to be in an elite group who like to show their drive.



[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited December 06, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Motor Trend also said that after replacing it with the original bmw bulbs,the problem when away..maybe if the bmw's with electrical problems were all serviced at bmw..there be less problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,938 Posts
That's true, but after the warranty runs out, every trip to the Bimmer dealer for this and that could be quite painful to the pocketbook, which isn't exactly my description of a pleasing ownership experience.

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited December 06, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Uh, so this representative sample is taken from ONE car, for ONE year? I think the long-term tests are more for the purpose of seeing how people like the car after driving it for a while, not for reliability study. The sample of one car is basically meaningless. BMW's are just reliable enough that reliability is not an issue for buyers. Lexus is so reliable that is becomes a positive issue for buyers. The reverse is true for companies like VW, Volvo, or Saab.

I know how you feel about sample sizes of one car, but, I've gotta say, my Saab 900SE is a MUCH more reliable car than my 3 series BMW convertible ever was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
My friend with his 2000 323ci has the problem of the tail lights getting bright red without him pressing on the brakes......i've seen this a lot of times on my BMW's......the dealer cant seem to replicate the problem........but everytime we go somewhere and i get behind him.....within a few minutes it seems like he is braking.......while he is going 80 on the freeway........funny stuff......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Yeah, mine used to do the same thing. I actually fixed that myself. That has to do with the brakelight assembly coming loose. It causes the bulb to burn at its highest intensity, making it look as if the brake is applied.
Maybe its a German thing, since my girl's old POS SLK used to do that.

Justy
99 328i


Originally posted by GOTTURBO:
My friend with his 2000 323ci has the problem of the tail lights getting bright red without him pressing on the brakes......i've seen this a lot of times on my BMW's......the dealer cant seem to replicate the problem........but everytime we go somewhere and i get behind him.....within a few minutes it seems like he is braking.......while he is going 80 on the freeway........funny stuff......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
The taillights on my 325i don't work, so I don't have that problem.
I think JD Power's reliability survey is pretty accurate, and it ranks BMW 12th, Lexus 1st, and Volvo, Saab, and VW as "below average".

Originally posted by GOTTURBO:
My friend with his 2000 323ci has the problem of the tail lights getting bright red without him pressing on the brakes......i've seen this a lot of times on my BMW's......the dealer cant seem to replicate the problem........but everytime we go somewhere and i get behind him.....within a few minutes it seems like he is braking.......while he is going 80 on the freeway........funny stuff......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey ckolsen..is that the 2001 325i u got?how u like it?why u get a bmw knowing lexus is more reliable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
one of bmw's biggest problems, is as erick said, bosch. they need to use someone else for their electircal systems because frankly, bosch sucks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
polobee, I bought a '95 325i a few months ago, and yes, a brake light burned out, reverse lights work 50% of the time, and brakes started squeeking, but otherwise no problems. I'll never buy an automatic, therefore no Lexus for me(yet), but the price on the 325i was too good to pass up. Minor electrical problems are worth putting up with for the great steering feel, 50/50 weight balance, nice interior etc. BMW mechanicals will run forever, and the real problem cars are 7 series and pre-'93 5 and 3 series cars.

Originally posted by polobee69:
hey ckolsen..is that the 2001 325i u got?how u like it?why u get a bmw knowing lexus is more reliable?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top