Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BMW 328ci is a fast car, but the reliability of them is nothing. My friends 328ci 1999 broke in a nearly finished 20,000 miles!! It had a cracked block. My Uncles 325 broke in 50,000 miles!!! The car had tranny trouble. The automatic tranny was stuck in 2nd gear. My whole family has Toyota, Hondas, Chevys, and Ford because of the reliability of the beamers. Peace

Nitro Boy

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think BMW's are getting better in this area. Not great but better. Check the 2000 numbers and I think you'll see much improvement. In your families cases did they buy them or were they leased? Are they a**ed out or are they covered?

------------------

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
What's the point of these anecdotal posts about reliability? Send your comments to Consumer Reports, and spare us.

Originally posted by Nitro Boy:
The BMW 328ci is a fast car, but the reliability of them is nothing. My friends 328ci 1999 broke in a nearly finished 20,000 miles!! It had a cracked block. My Uncles 325 broke in 50,000 miles!!! The car had tranny trouble. The automatic tranny was stuck in 2nd gear. My whole family has Toyota, Hondas, Chevys, and Ford because of the reliability of the beamers. Peace

Nitro Boy

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
there are problems with every damn car. if you awnt to hear a success story my M hasn't had a thing wrong with it and it hasn't been into the shop except for inspections and services as per the service record that san diego bmw kept.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Dear Consumer Reports,
I had to replace a failed brake light on my 5 year old BMW, cost me $2 and took 30 seconds to do!!! BMW sucks!
We've covered this ground before, yes Lexus is more reliable than BMW. Posting that BMW reliability sucks cause your cousin's sister's stepson had problems with his car, what's the point of that?

Originally posted by Aye-yes300:
Dear Consumer Reports,

Please make the BMW people leave this forum.

·
Registered
100 Posts
BMW reliabilty seems to have gotten better in the last few years. It ranked in the top 20 in the JD Power quality survey this year (#12).

Interestingly, though, it ranked below all of the other major luxury brands save Audi. It even was even beaten out by Jaguar!!??!!

The anecdotal posts probably should be taken with a giant grain of salt, but it is good therapy for those of us that got stuck with a POS BMW.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Yeah, I think the Jaguar X-Type could be a big seller if it's reliable as well as gorgeous and sporty. Depends on which side of $40,000 it comes down on.
If my '95 BMW turns out to be a POS, it'll be my last, and I'll get in line at Ira Lexus for a 5 speed IS300. So far it's been great though (only 2-3 months).

Originally posted by Jeff Taylor:
BMW reliabilty seems to have gotten better in the last few years. It ranked in the top 20 in the JD Power quality survey this year (#12).

Interestingly, though, it ranked below all of the other major luxury brands save Audi. It even was even beaten out by Jaguar!!??!!

The anecdotal posts probably should be taken with a giant grain of salt, but it is good therapy for those of us that got stuck with a POS BMW.

Jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Yeah, I think the Jaguar X-Type could be a big seller if it's reliable as well as gorgeous and sporty. Depends on which side of $40,000 it comes down on.
If my '95 BMW turns out to be a POS, it'll be my last, and I'll get in line at Ira Lexus for a 5 speed IS300. So far it's been great though (only 2-3 months).

Please save your anecdotal posts for Consumer Reports and spare us.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Could you come up with something original, or would you just like to copy all my posts? Idiots that blow their engines with 15,000 miles probably don't even know how what oil is for.

Please save your anecdotal posts for Consumer Reports and spare us.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You guys gotta realize every car has its problems....
but BMW excels in the automotive industry in EVERY single way....
they are superior to all other car manufactures..
dont get me wrong..
i would gladly take an IS over a BMW...
but Japanese engineering just cant hang with German engineering...
its been like that forever and will continue to be like that..

but I still luv Japanese rides....

late

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by kkambbak9399:
You guys gotta realize every car has its problems....
but BMW excels in the automotive industry in EVERY single way....
they are superior to all other car manufactures..
dont get me wrong..
i would gladly take an IS over a BMW...
but Japanese engineering just cant hang with German engineering...
its been like that forever and will continue to be like that..

but I still luv Japanese rides....

late
I agree with you 110%. BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche were born on autobahns and beautiful twisty two lane mountainous roads with ice, snow, and just about everything else one could throw at them. If you have ever been to Japan you know they have size limts for both engines and cars. The roads are tiny and the parking is nonexistent. Cars were and are basic transportation. The companies have a severe "NIH" complex (Not Invented Here"). All these performance world class cars that Japan is producing are as a result of other market inputs to them. They hate advice from the outside. I should know, I work for a Japanese company. They look down on Americans and Europeans as inferior as a culture not that they don;'t like us. However, they praise BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Ferrari with copying tactics. In Japan they have strange names for cars. Bluebird for Maxima (I think) and such other strange names. Kind of like Chevy with their Vega name that didn't sell in Mexico. German (European in general) cars handle for high speeds, Japanese don't. The IS300 is the first rear wheel handling car of its type to ever come out of Japan. The 240Z-300ZX was good but a different kind of car. The Japanese are quick learners even though their culture leans the other way. They will always try to add their own twist to something which we will either love or not.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I agree, although I'll say that i worked in Japan for 3 years, 6 months of that I had a company car, and drove around in the Japan Alps, where they have wonderful mountain and country roads, which is I think why the Japanese also produce a lot of great sporty cars. True that in big cities, roads are congested and narrow, but leave the city, and there are lots of great, perfectly maintained roads, where people can open up their cars and have fun. Japan throughout its history has thrived on importing foreign ideas, products, technologies etc. and either improving on them or giving them a Japanese flavor. They do not hate outside advice, they listen very careful to what foreigners say, and pore over US research papers and technical data, while being very protective of their own. They also use foreign influence as a tool to undertake internal reform, which is difficult to do without the excuse of foreign pressure. They're equal to the German engineers, just different.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Hah! Keep talking Aye, your credibility is evaporating quickly. See how many people on this board agree with a statement like yours. BMW is the benchmark in this market, the target of companies like Lexus, which shows what an idiot YOU are.

Well, he did buy a BMW... I guess he is an idiot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Hah! Keep talking Aye, your credibility is evaporating quickly. See how many people on this board agree with a statement like yours. BMW is the benchmark in this market, the target of companies like Lexus, which shows what an idiot YOU are.

Yeah, the guy who bought the 330 used to talk the same crap. "BMW quality this, benchmark that..." That was shortly before his engine blew. Let's hope the same thing happens to you. He bought a Civic after that. He can't go very fast, but at least the car actually moves. Maybe you can buy a Lexus and then go bother the people in the BMW forums.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts