Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the same for you guys... but I was talking to my insurance company today. They told me it's actually cheaper for me to insure an IS350 than an IS300. It's waaaaaaaaaay cheaper to insure an IS250 than an IS300?!?! wtf??? :confused:

Does this mean it's time to trade up to a new IS350??? :blush:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Crester its simple demographics,IS300 has been out for a long time so a lot of history behind them.many 18 year olds crash,speed and wreck them on a regular basis.and 2nd gens don't that history behind them YET.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Here is a list of the top ten most expensive vehicles to insure, that have a sticker price of less than $50k, according to the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI):
1. Lexus IS 300
The most expensive collision claim models are:
1. Lexus IS 300
The Top Ten Hardest Cars to get Insured

My 6 year old (in July) 2002 IS300 still costs me $1200 a year to insure. I'm 31 years old and have a clean driving record. I can probably get insurance cheaper somewhere else but my choices are limited due to my bike.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crester its simple demographics,IS300 has been out for a long time so a lot of history behind them.many 18 year olds crash,speed and wreck them on a regular basis.and 2nd gens don't that history behind them YET.
So you think the 2nd-Gen insurances rates will rise with time? Sadly it looks like the IS300 rates will just continue to rise as younger and younger people buy them.

What do you think insurance rates are like with the IS-F?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was quoted around 1800 for collision/comprehensive coverage for a 97 Integra LS around the 2005-06 timeframe. Needless to say I never took the collision coverage for the last two years that I had that car. My 06 IS250 costs me 1350 a year to cover, fully covered, and that is disclosing to the insurance company that I drive over 25K a year. (which I should actually address with them since I more in the 20-24K per year range now...) I was shocked at the difference at first as well.

So yes, they are cheaper to insure. Why, 8 airbags, better crash tests, and demographics too. This is not southern-cali, so you won't see many 18 yearolds driving a 2nd gen IS round these parts.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
IS300 has a high claim rate. A buddy of mine has an '06 G35c and pays 60% what I pay for insurance. Similar age, same clean driving record.

Reactions: LEXIGRL

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
In terms of relative insurance costs I found that insuring my 2003 Lexus IS300 was a lot cheaper then insuring my old 1994 Mazda MX-3.

The 1994 Mazda MX-3 with no collision, only liability and $1k deductible was about $3200/year

The 2003 Lexus IS300 with full coverage and $500 deductible was about $3400/year

Now does that make any sense?

That was the difference in price between the two cars for me back in November 2005, my insurance has since gone down to about $2000/year for the Lexus.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Psst, get and S4 because my insurance isnt bad at all. Oddly enough it was number 3 on that list. lol

But seriously, it all has to do with crash data, repair costs, and the demographics of the owners. As there are less is300's on the road in the future it should eventually get better.

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
uberchuckie i didn't know that!?
Good thing I didn't see this data before I bought my IS! Now I just love my car too much to give it up :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts