Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here get rid of their IS only to regret it and buy another one? I traded my 02 manual for an 03 350Z. I guess I am getting old or something. I miss the build quality, comfort, stereo, and general feel of the car. I dumped it because I was not satisfied with the power. In hindsight, I could have probably made it as fast as my Z for the amount of money I lost on the trade and money I will lose if I get rid of the Z this soon. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Dunno you could always try to sell it privately and maybe break even. /shrug

350z looks like a nice car though. Hope you can get an IS again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
AZ.IS300 said:
Its nice, just not an everyday driver IMO. It has way too many rattles.
That blows my mind that you're making comments about the Z like that. My ex was trying to talk me into a Z when I was purchasing my IS and he told me I was making a huge mistake. I didn't like the Z's price compared to the IS, plus I needed a 4-door, not another 2. I love my IS so much that I can't imagine having anything else. I'm not thrilled about the 215 horses either--I could SO use a V8, but that's the breaks. If they introduced a V8, I'd be first in line at the dealership. I like the looks of the Z, but it just wasn't what I was looking for at that time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
I like the other cars (BMW, Infiniti, Nissan, etc.) but the dealerships suck ass and are crooks. Lexus is a great car AND a good dealership.IMO :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
i just sold my WRX for the IS300, so i think i made the right decision
i don't like Z too much, i hate the interior quality
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,939 Posts
This is the exact same thing i'm going through right now. I am considering trading the IS in for a new 5-series. I thought about the WRX STI for a while, but my friends keep telling me that the interiors on those are really low quality and it is a little pricey for what i'm getting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need to decide which is more important, speed or luxury. I probably will buy another IS. I just want to wait until I can at least break even on my trade. I know I will lose money on the deal. I may try to sell it myself. The next decision would be whether or not to buy an 04 or wait for the changes in the 05. Hopefully we will know more about the upcoming IS in the near future. On a side note, I have been driving my wife's 325i alot lately. I definitely like the IS more than this car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
AZ.IS300 said:
You need to decide which is more important, speed or luxury. I probably will buy another IS. I just want to wait until I can at least break even on my trade. I know I will lose money on the deal. I may try to sell it myself. The next decision would be whether or not to buy an 04 or wait for the changes in the 05. Hopefully we will know more about the upcoming IS in the near future. On a side note, I have been driving my wife's 325i alot lately. I definitely like the IS more than this car.
have both
go force induction on the IS300

you do give up the "quiet" - but that's really a small price to pay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
I don't regret the IS but there are things I'd like improved. I think the IS looks great but wish the taillights were a bit more conventional. It's also a gas guzzler (no, I refuse to drive like a granny to save gas). The interior could also use some metal trim ala 3-Series (not talking about scuff plates).

The IS seems to have very good passing power IMO but launches/starts off slow, I'd prefer more low-end as 90% of my driving is city, stop & go.

All in all, it's an excellent car. Reliable, safe, and handles & brakes as well as any other luxury sports sedan IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
JPis300 said:
I don't regret the IS but there are things I'd like improved. I think the IS looks great but wish the taillights were a bit more conventional. It's also a gas guzzler (no, I refuse to drive like a granny to save gas). The interior could also use some metal trim ala 3-Series (not talking about scuff plates).

The IS seems to have very good passing power IMO but launches/starts off slow, I'd prefer more low-end as 90% of my driving is city, stop & go.

All in all, it's an excellent car. Reliable, safe, and handles & brakes as well as any other luxury sports sedan IMO.
I think the IS's launching speed is ok--it's not like a Mustang GT or anything like that, but the IS is far superior to the Acura RSX Type S that I traded for my IS, as well as the Civic Si I had before the Acura. They had great high-end torque, but fell flat when accelerating from a stop. A V8 would make the IS unbelievable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
You need to take your Z to a nice open road course and drive the piss out of it. You'll enjoy it more then :D

but I do agree that it's not the ideal daily driver, and i'd much rather have an IS day to day and the Z or in my case the s2k for the weekends.

Karim
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
yumyum613 said:
AZ.IS300 said:
Its nice, just not an everyday driver IMO. It has way too many rattles.
That blows my mind that you're making comments about the Z like that. My ex was trying to talk me into a Z when I was purchasing my IS and he told me I was making a huge mistake. I didn't like the Z's price compared to the IS, plus I needed a 4-door, not another 2. I love my IS so much that I can't imagine having anything else. I'm not thrilled about the 215 horses either--I could SO use a V8, but that's the breaks. If they introduced a V8, I'd be first in line at the dealership. I like the looks of the Z, but it just wasn't what I was looking for at that time.
WOOHOO a newbie Chick :p You should consider the the .net calendar.

Ok back to this post now. The quality of the IS IMHO is as good as it gets for the amount of money that you spend. Most people that buy this car buy it for the Name, Looks and Quality(maybe not in that exact order). Power was low on my list, because I know I can always get some F/I later.

Quote of the Day:
The Grass is Not Always Greener on the Other Side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Amen to that. I know now from experience that the grass was just fine on my side of the fence. I took a beating when I traded the IS. I will probably wait to see what the 05 will look like and see the engine options before I make a decision. I would say most likely though that I will be an IS owner again before the end of 04. Hopefully sooner than later. Thanks for all of the comments everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
My regret is buying the car on January 31, then got word to deploy in April that Monday I got back from leave. I just got back at the beginning of this month. If I knew i was going to deploy I would have waited for a 2k4.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top