Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
So far using the 0W-30 Max Per Sig Amsoil I have to say yes it has quieted down the engine clatter on cold start up. But, I'll reserve final judgement until it drops to -20C here,...Hopefully the new pistons and rings that Lexus is working on for release for the high oil consumption some members have experienced will also address the cold noise clatter.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I started my car saturday morning just as my girlfriend opened the door get in. It made such a grinding sound it hurt her ears, and it supprised me too, since I've never heard the car start with a door open before. It was loud.
Her: "What's wrong you car?"
Me: "Uhhh, that's normal honey"
Her: :suspiciou

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Actually the two to three second timing chain rattle on start up it's NOT normal and is repaired under a Lexus TSIB, some of us '06 owners have had both the cold start up rattle and hot start rattle repaired with new VVTi cam gears.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Actually the two to three second timing chain rattle on start up it's NOT normal and is repaired under a Lexus TSIB, some of us '06 owners have had both the cold start up rattle and hot start rattle repaired with new VVTi cam gears.
Already had that done.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
LOL,...well, you may be the lucky one to have to do it again,...not even Lexus is perfect :) So far so good on the 0w30 oil for me,...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
clubfoot I'm glad to hear that. Such a easy fix no just switching oil? :) Since the sounds went away I have had almost a year of chatter free start up. It has never happened after the fix. Keep it mind that the 0w-20 needs about 1500KM to kick in and take the noise away completely but you should notice it quite down the first few weeks. BTW we are having a great winter in Toronto Canada. NO SNOW at all! I do miss it thou I am one of those people that likes winter driving. I have a prelude that I play with during the winter.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I wish I had a winter beater because the IS is so expensive to drive as a winter car. The oil has been very good so far, Lexus actually now recommends 5w20 for the '06 and up. Unusually warm weather this winter,...I'm not complaining but like you I don't mind winter driving :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
OK I brought my IS350 to Lexus on saturday to do the Cold Start warranty repair, (I wasn't 100 % sure if it was done already)
It's under warranty and free of charge as long as your DOFU (date of 1st use) is less than 72 months and you're under 70,000 miles. I'm a 2006, 49,000 miles with a DOFU of 04/02/06, so I was cutting it close.
They changed the 2 cam gears and about a dozen gaskets to get to them.
I'm going to post a video/sound clip of the noise it was making, sounded like a my buddy's Mitsu before it blew up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depends on the "wrong" oil you are using.

Anything 0W-xx is fine. The 0W just means when it is cold out and the engine is cold, the oil has a lot less viscosity and your motor gets lubrication a lot faster.

Also, full synthetic is the best. But pricey..

·
Registered
528 Posts
My first gen IS is still doing it. If it sits for more than 4 hours, it ticks for a second or two. When it's really cold and the idle is high, it's not as noticeable. Sounds just like a hydrolic lifter that went flat and gets pumped up (I know they don't have hydrolic lifters, but that's exactly what it sounds like).

It's so fucking frustrating that I don't want to put any $ buying fun parts, and I can't sell the damn car this way. If I could only find out what to check.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts