Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, since I work at Futureshop (Canadian version of BestBuy), ive decided to redo my system as it wont be too costly for me vs paying retail. If a person were to spend $1000 on a system, id prob spent $500 (50% off)

Replaced the head unit with a Pioneer Avic-D3 and got ipod working and everything, now im looking at adding speakers an amp and sub. Im going for quality over loudness. I dont blast my music, but i want to hear excellent quality. Also, I dont wanna spend to much as the car is at 200,000km and im saving up for a new car. At least I can take this equipment into another car in the future.

So here is the deals im getting, and status

HEAD UNIT: Pioneer AVIC-D3 ($250) Installed last week

AMP: MTX TC6001M 1800W / 300W Rms 4-Ch / 600W RMS 2-Ch ($125)

SUB: Apline Type-R 12" 4Ω / 1500W, 500W RMS ($110)

SPEAKERS COMPONENET (FRONT): MTX TX6001 4Ω 6.5" 90W RMS $40

SPEAKERS (REAR): Undecided, looking at 6x9 for about $40

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL PRICE: $565 (NOT BAD) vs. $1800 retail. Full 4 year warranty on everything too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here are some options and questions i have.

1 - Dynamat or Not. Should cost me $150 for doors and trunk. I think it would help but i dunno if i should spend it. Im on a budget.

2 - Wiring Kits? Since im running a 1800W amp, I wont ever fully pump it up as I said, I dont blast my music. I need to run a wiring kit of atleast 1800W right? Or can i run a 4GA 1400W kit?

3 - Sub Box. Sealed or Ported? Im going for quality and accuracy, so I was thinking a sealed box. Remember im going to use a single 12" Dual subs is not an option as I used my trunk and I need the space.

4 -

So that's what im looking at right now. Not too costly if u ask me. Anybody got any input or advice?

Also, wth is that black box in my trunk below my ski pass and Can i get rid of it? Its annoying. I think its the amp but not too sure.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
that black box is part of the gas tank. factory amp is in the pass. kick so no you cant get rid of it..
why not get the new alpine type R shallow and do a shallow box firing into the car so you can keep the most of your trunk..

·
Registered
51 Posts
the head unit is a fine choice and sealed box is best, 4gauge is fine as long as you dont blast it a lot otherwise you might just blow a fuse and i would say no to the dynamat people manly use it when they are going to blast music and instead of buying new speakers all around i like the speakers that all ready are in the car (stocks) just buy an amp for your highs also it will make it easier to take out if your looking to get a new car and you dont know what size speakers your future car will have if your palnning to take them out and as long as you just do one sub you will still have pleanty of room in your trunk.

·
Registered
255 Posts
WOW....hype....save the money for dynamat to the new car....dynamat is not for loud music....its for better sound quality and better bass responce and reduce outside noise....it affects music at all volumes not just loud. i dont know how far away you are from getting a new car...but i would not get anything untill you get your new car...unless u already bought those things...the key is to get the best for your money...instead of going cheap...because its what you have now...save money and get things done right the first time your in no rush speakers are not going to dissapear from stores...
take your time..thats key

·
Registered
255 Posts
1 or two subs all depends on how much bass you like...if you just want that extra thump then 1 speaker should be enough..but then again everyone has diffrent opinions on bass and one sub wont be enough when you listen to it...save money for both....and buy 1 at a time...if you like how it sounds then your golden..if not, then you know what to do....sealed box would be your choice for clear responsive bass...ported give you more for less...so once again your in a pickle...use your best judgment :eek:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.