Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving down the shaw and the newly erected RedLight cam next to the Wenchels may have got me. All I know is I saw a flash and I think my front tires were just inside the crosswalk. I hear you have to be clear of them completely. But I do know the light might have went fast. I didn't see the red, it was still yellow as far as I could see. My brother said those lights have to stay yellow for 3.5 secs or something. But since this is a new redlight cam I doubt its off.
I might be lucky, it might now even have been me but if so whats your experience with those? It really puts a damper on your day. At first I was thinking, Damn, I got to pay a huge ass ticket, then I remembered its a moving violation too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Last year, both of my co-workers (on separate incidents) went through one of those camera lights (in Culver City and one in Alhambra) on a yellow-to-red light change. Several days later, both received a couple of photographs, a picture from the front of the car and the rear. The front picture showed who was at the wheel and the relation of the car to the intersection. The rear picture showed the license plate. In a nutshell, he got nailed, a moving violation $270 fine (may qualify for traffic school depending on location and if no other moving violations occurred 18 months prior to present violation)

Vehicles that enter on yellow and are still in an intersection when the light changes to red aren't photographed. So, if your car's rear bumper is clear of the crosswalk lines (closest to intersection) then the cameras won't trigger). If not, you got nailed. If they got a clear picture of you, there may be little you could do to fight it.

Here's an article regarding this issue from AAA. I don't know what followed.

http://www.aaa-calif.com/members/corpinfo/03-04-17-SB780.asp

Good Luck...

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks speedtrap. your name makes me wonder.

But thanks to your post, I feel better now. Know why? because I remembered that there was no bright flash from in front of me. In fact, I remember going thru the yellow, and never seeing it go red, but I saw a flash out the rear window of the camera across the street. Well upon inspection this morning, I realized that there are two sets of cameras. The camera out my back window was the one on the other side of the street that probably caught somebody running the light on that side of the street. Since your post made it clear that they take the front too, to get the driver, something I remember from my last traffic school class where we saw samples of these traffic light cams. So I never got that blinding flash from the front for sure, and I doubt the camera in the back on my side of the street flashed either, I would have saw that clearer than the one on the other side. So I feel better. I just hope not to see a letter in the mail.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
California is always trying to find ways ghey ways to make money off of motorists.. Bastards.

Dam registration prices are hella pissin me off and the yearly updates...

Does anyone know what the registration rates are at right now? Any links? THanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.