Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished painting my tail lights. Very pleased with the way they came out, exactly the look I was going for. I tried both Testors candy apple red and Krylon stained glass spray, and the Krylon turned out much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Turned out great.

Well done.

·
Registered
766 Posts
not really a big fan of red tailights , but this one came out really nice , great work :approve:

·
Boosted Troll
991 Posts
hi5!

turned out great

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Pretty cool. You did a very professional job. +rep!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the compliments guys, I appreciate it. For those of you wondering, I just painted the outside lens.

A little write-up of what I did:

1. Remove the tail lights from your car

2. Clean the tail lights with soap and water to remove dirt/dust.

3. Tape off the clear reverse/turn signal section of light with painters tape. I spent a good amount of time doing this to make sure the lines were even.

4. Apply 3 light coats of Krylon red stained glass spray ($10 a can, can be found in most hobby/arts and craft stores) waiting 20-25 minutes in between coats.

5. Let the paint dry for 24 hours.

6. Apply 3 light coats of Krylon UV resistant clear gloss, wait 20 minutes between applications.

7. After final coat of gloss, wait 2 hours before re-installing.

8. I waited a few days before washing the car, after the wash I applied PlastX polish.

Here's a couple more pictures:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.