Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is dripping red oil fluid.. i am guessing its the tranny oil? can someone verify that for me? :(

Peter

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I'm not sure about that. There are several places where it could leak. My 01 Civic dripped a tiny bit of fluid since it was brand new. Just enough to form a drop. I drove it 25,000 miles and only added fluid once.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my dipstick shows about 1/2inch of oil.. :lol:
and its leaking enough that i have a puddle and trails of it on the driveway/garage.

i am having thoughts about that ESK.

Peter

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
peterc said:
and its leaking enough that i have a puddle and trails of it on the driveway/garage.

Peter
You have the ESK?

That's about the extent of my knowledge on the trans. Bump the thread in the morning and someone ought to come along that knows more. :)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bartkat said:
peterc said:

Peter
You have the ESK?
yes, and it may have caused the problem:pissed:

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
peterc said:
bartkat said:
peterc said:

Peter
You have the ESK?
yes, and it may have caused the problem:pissed:
Well I figured it would put more strain on the trransmission. More pressure just about has to do something.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
peterc said:
doesn't seem to have caused any problems for others so far.. :-?
The only problem I've seen is the guy that installed it and then couldn't start his car. I haven't heard about leaks either, but there's going to be an unlucky one sometimes. Hopefully yours isn't too serious.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i still dont know what to do.. i would like to take it to the dealer, but the one thats mod-friendly is like 50 miles away, and i'll have to get it flatbed'd there. And since ESK was in there, they probably wont cover it, so i may take it to a tranny shop or something. :oops:

i learned my lesson now.. i am just hoping my tranny isn't screwd up..

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Some lube places also do trans flush and fill. If it's just a pan gasket leak, that might fix it. You probably need to try and find out where the fluid is leaking first.

I don't know if the IS has a filter in the trans or not, but a plugged filter might cause a leak in a line.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dont really trust the guys at Jiffy Lube for this stuff... any tips on testing for a leak??

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
coolant is red too.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
some coolant is^^^
Factory toyota and lexus coolant is red.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
peterc said:
my car is dripping red oil fluid.. i am guessing its the tranny oil? can someone verify that for me? :(

Peter
Dude, you need to chill out and stop thinking everything is going wrong.

Get down underneath the car, find out what is leaking. Most likely it's the plug for the oil pan because you told me you just had the oil changed. So tighten it a 1/4 or 1/2 turn depending on how much is leaking out. Simple.

And your dipstick shows 1/2 inch of oil. That doesn't mean you have 1/2 the oil left in your car. That means you are low about 1/2 a quart.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
peterc said:

Peter
Dude, you need to chill out and stop thinking everything is going wrong.

Get down underneath the car, find out what is leaking. Most likely it's the plug for the oil pan because you told me you just had the oil changed. So tighten it a 1/4 or 1/2 turn depending on how much is leaking out. Simple.

And your dipstick shows 1/2 inch of oil. That doesn't mean you have 1/2 the oil left in your car. That means you are low about 1/2 a quart.
this is good, except he was talking about his transmission "oil" dipstick showing 1/2 of "oil"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts