Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys suggest for a winter Tire Speed Rating? I am from New England and expect to be driving in the snow a lot. The guy at the dealership told me to go with the Dunlop Graspic (sp?) which are Q rated. The guy at the tire store told me to go with H Rated Toyo Garret. He said that the Q will shake on the highway. He said with that type of car you really need an H rated tire. What do you guys think? Has anyone put on 16" Q rated tires in preparation for the winter? How do they handle? Are they really squishy?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Meadow,

I live in the states, Ohio and I had the Pirelli Asimmetrico snow tires put on. I stayed withthe 17" and had them put on a cheep set of wheels Racing Hearts. I did notice that the first 300 miles were not that great. I did find out that with any snow tire you should breake them in for about 500 miles. THe owner of wheel source told me if I did not like them after 500 mile he would take tham back. afetr a trip to Cleveland they are great. Granted they do not handle like the 3 season tires but in all reality unless I am racing a road course they are great tires and would not be worried about driving my normal ways on these tires. the tires ran me about $112.00 and the wheels about $111.00 ant wheel source 800-886-0093.

RAB

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
I run Goodyear H rated tires. Here's a chart that shows what each symbol means: http://www.michelin-us.com/us/eng/tire/guide/speed.html

The Q is rated at 100MPH max, which doesn't sound good for the IS. At least go with H for safety reasons. BTW, I can't stand my Goodyears; wish I'd bought Michelins instead. Gotta love their Pilot Series...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I got the Toyo Garrit HT tires with 16 rims for my winter package. 205/55-16 They seems to work very good in the snow. I took it the up to North Ontario, works great. Push the car to around 180-190km/hr on cold/dry highway. The car was very smooth and stable.

Originally posted by Meadow:
What do you guys suggest for a winter Tire Speed Rating? I am from New England and expect to be driving in the snow a lot. The guy at the dealership told me to go with the Dunlop Graspic (sp?) which are Q rated. The guy at the tire store told me to go with H Rated Toyo Garret. He said that the Q will shake on the highway. He said with that type of car you really need an H rated tire. What do you guys think? Has anyone put on 16" Q rated tires in preparation for the winter? How do they handle? Are they really squishy?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts