Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my calipers and hubs painted this weekend or next weekend. Does anyone have a good shop to recommend, preferably in Queens?

I am also willing to go to private locations who have references.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Anyone?
I may consider paying to have this done also,depending on the price. I have been looking at my g2 paint caliper kit for toooo long.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Damn, I would take your money! It's an easy DIY. It even easier with the G2 paint kit....since you don't have to do that much masking. I highly recommend using new brushes for each caliper. I used the foam brushes and it worked out perfectly.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Haha anyone willing to take our money?!?!

What color you going with Intensa?
I have a G2 kit Black color along with Lexus f&r decals in metallic grey to match my rims. I didn't want to do a bright loud caliper color. So I kept it simple and mature looking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
723 Posts
Damn, I would take your money! It's an easy DIY. It even easier with the G2 paint kit....since you don't have to do that much masking. I highly recommend using new brushes for each caliper. I used the foam brushes and it worked out perfectly.
Thanks I def planned to use a brush different to the one provided in the kit(garbage). I'm just unsure if I can paint over the clips area and holes on the caliper. The foam brush sounds good - im thinking its the foam square pad that is on a little wooden stick lol is that correct ?

this is something that I wouldn't waste my money at a shop for. Its pretty simple, I would say just do it yourself
You guys must be laughing at us lol
This is obviously a DIY project, but this is def a time consuming one. My luck..a gust of wind would blow some dirt right onto my wet caliper lol

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Thanks I def planned to use a brush different to the one provided in the kit(garbage). I'm just unsure if I can paint over the clips area and holes on the caliper. The foam brush sounds good - im thinking its the foam square pad that is on a little wooden stick lol is that correct ?

You guys must be laughing at us lol
This is obviously a DIY project, but this is def a time consuming one. My luck..a gust of wind would blow some dirt right onto my wet caliper lol
it's been a couple months since i did my brakes so i dont really remember exactly everything, but there are very few parts. i would remove the pads and shims, i think there's a screw/bolt or two, and paint it that way. dont be lazy take it all off so it's cleaner and all of it is painted properly, doesn't add that much time to take the stuff off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would do this myself too if I had a bigger jack where I can at least take two wheels off at a time. To dismount one tire, paint, dry, mount tire and then do this four times is too much for a lazy mofo like me.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Yup! lol Get those man. You will thank me later. :) Just put a little piece of masking tape over all the clips. To be honest though, I didn't. lol. I used super thin brush around that area. Be sure you have a lot of light! Stick a portable light in the wheel well while you are painting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've both painted and powdercoated calipers. I've found the duplicolor lacquer to only last 3-4 years and fades fairly quickly. For paint, I defer to Folia-Tec caliper paint/lacquer kit. Last ones I did lasted 5+ years before starting to peel and started showing age after 4ish years. That being said, find a GOOD powdercoater and, with proper care, will never flake and generally the finish on calipers will start to fade or dull after 5-7 years depending on use. I have a great powdercoater here in MA that I use for all of my personal stuff and all my client's stuff. He's done everything from subframes and suspension parts to valve covers, intercoolers and piping, to calipers, shock tubes, engine covers, etc. He also has the exclusive contract with T-Rex of MA and a few other performance shops. I'll be glad to get them to him if you choose to put the car down and ship them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts