Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about purchasing a new big screen (55" to 65") projection hdtv set. Any recommendations? Are there any good web sites that review hdtv sets? Thanks!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point, I'm looking at rear projection because they are more inexpensive. Although, I know some of the sets, like the Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series, get up there in price. I'd like to stay around 3k, without the hdtv receiver. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Or just get a 40" Wega and call it a day. Save yerself a grand at the same time and buy a decent surround system. My 36" wega is insanely huge compared to anything else I've ever had, I don't know what I'd do with 15-20 more inches!

(we're talkin TVs here btw)

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
If price is your only reasoning, id consider true projection, that is if you have a large wall space that you can dedicate to projection. I have never been a fan of the pic qualtiy of rear proj tv sets.

for the money i think you get much better pic quality and size in true projection. i have an older projector and its about a 6 ft tall pic (dunno the diagonal) and i love it. it actually makes me not wanna watch tv on the 40" plasma....

i would go true proj or plasma before rear, just my opinion tho....

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Some company, I think Panasonic, just released a 60" plasma. I'm sure its a lot of loot, but its gotta be so badass it makes it worth it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 53" widescreen Hitachi HDTV ready. You can get one for about $3000 or so. I really like it a lot. I have ultimate Directv, it has optical for sound , s-video. The picture is really good. Dvd's look even better. I'm happy w/ it.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Also beware of this: The better pic quality setup you have, the worse bad quality images will dispaly. I havent noticed to much problem here with my proj or with my plasma but i have seen horrible results at my parents house. they have a high end flat screen set made for hdtv but they only have digital cable no hd. the digital cable comes in looking like an antenna signal. the better the quality of the set the more you will notice these things....

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
TXLeXTC said:
Also beware of this: The better pic quality setup you have, the worse bad quality images will dispaly. I havent noticed to much problem here with my proj or with my plasma but i have seen horrible results at my parents house. they have a high end flat screen set made for hdtv but they only have digital cable no hd. the digital cable comes in looking like an antenna signal. the better the quality of the set the more you will notice these things....
Yes digital cable (along with satellite and low-res DVDs) are all compressed, so you will get some chunking/blocking. That's just how it goes. Hook it up with a progressive scan DVD player and a nice high-res copy of, say, star wars... and yer all set.

BTW I think it's worth noting that HDTV is STILL not a standard and not widely available, and it probably won't be for several years to come. I opted for the cheaper non-HDTV Wega knowing full-well that if/when HDTV does come around, I probably would have a new TV or would be too poor to afford the insanely-skyrocketing costs of digital/HD cable.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a 55" Mitsu...but It's the Platinum series i think...it was $2400 or so....great picture but I don't have a HDTV receiver yet...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TXLeXTC said:
Thanks for the warning. I've read about this too... Something to the effect that an hdtv set tries to convert standard signals to hdtv but by doing so, the flaws and imperfections of the standard signal are magnified.

I was also wondering, can a digital projector accept video-in from a satellite dish (like Direct TV)? I have a room with a wall that is perfect for a screen, but I wasn't sure if I could watch anything other than dvd movies from the projector. Could you connect both a dvd player and satellite to it? Thanks again everyone for their input!

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
JT said:
I was also wondering, can a digital projector accept video-in from a satellite dish (like Direct TV)? I have a room with a wall that is perfect for a screen, but I wasn't sure if I could watch anything other than dvd movies from the projector. Could you connect both a dvd player and satellite to it? Thanks again everyone for their input!
I don't see why not. Most sat receiver boxes have S-vid out and such, so you could easily hook that up just like a DVD player.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
JT said:
TXLeXTC said:
Thanks for the warning. I've read about this too... Something to the effect that an hdtv set tries to convert standard signals to hdtv but by doing so, the flaws and imperfections of the standard signal are magnified.

Yes/No. Id say it depends on the projector. Most have multipul inputs so then you could send you dtv/cable/ant(from vcr tuner)/etc in to it as well. I used to run the xbox,ps2,dtv,vcr all in to mine.

also a suggestion if you go with projection. go buy the audio/video send and recive untis from radio shack. generally you use them to send a signal to say a room without a cable outlet but they are great for simplfing all the wires. You can then put all your stuff (Dvd/ps2/vcr/hdtv tuner/vcr) in an a/v cabinet (or what haveyou) and not have to run all the wires up the wall to the projector. the all you need to hide is your power wire for it and set tthe signal reciver on top and run it into the projector.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
HoustonLex said:
rear projection isnt very good...
Go and watch any decent unit hooked up to an HD source, and see if that changes your tune. Football in 1080i looks dope on my TV.

JT said:
I'm thinking about purchasing a new big screen (55" to 65") projection hdtv set. Any recommendations? Are there any good web sites that review hdtv sets? Thanks!
Mitsubishi, Pioneer, and Toshiba all make good units in that size range. And they aren't too expensive. I just recently bought my 55" Mitsu for a little over 2k. Of course, the units in that price range don't have the decoders built in. Oh...before you go and buy an HDTV, might want to make sure the city you live in offers programming in HD. Where I live, they have been on top of it, but some cities are slow to roll out HDTV. Then you would just need a decoder, and you would be set.

Oh, Here's a good site concerning projection HDTV's, and so is this one. Good luck!

·
Registered
622 Posts
The future is DLP. Digital Light Projection, if you've got 15,000 to spend on a tv then get this 65" incher from Panasonic. My dad bought one and let me just say that it..........it's sick as hell. :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
IS3FINALLYmd
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing