Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys! This is one part of the my.is that i hardly ever come across on. I think its time to finally upgrade my sound system. Im pretty anal when it comes to sound. So before i buy i would like to know what you guys recommend on brand. Im planning to do component speakers for the front and rear. Im having 2 memphis amps backing that up and my custom trunk is actually being planned out as we speak!

My thoughts on perfect sound is i want it soo crisp that i would hear someone cough in the background of a song lol. Like a total movie theatre in my car. Im am currently running factory and im doing some research. What you guys think of pioneer or should i do something else for component?!?

Thank you for your time, i keep you guys updated along the way of my progress and the finish product!

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Focal and Diamond Audio are huge favorites amongst the "audiophiles" on this forum.

I personally have MB Quart Premiums and love them.

I'm posting here so I remember it, tomorrow I will give some more information ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yo wutup man.. i dont have an IS yet (in the midst of making a deal), BUT.. the second I do i'm getting my system done.. in my car now im running a pair of 12' RF P2s and got an 801s amp pushing em.. im more then happy with RF's quality so i say go rockfordfosgate all the way around..

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Tihor05 said:
Yo wutup man.. i dont have an IS yet (in the midst of making a deal), BUT.. the second I do i'm getting my system done.. in my car now im running a pair of 12' RF P2s and got an 801s amp pushing em.. im more then happy with RF's quality so i say go rockfordfosgate all the way around..
I think you must be kidding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Get Memphis Audio, this has some high end stuff. Get 2 12's with 2 800 watt ampps, speakers are the most important. Concentrate on that as well as the deck. The deck and speakers will make your car sound run smooth.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
lol rockfordfuckgate... RF has definately lost their touch over the years.. As far as subs, if you wanted something that just pounded.... LJ Audio W7's. Boston makes a nice set of speakers for clarity, as well as Klipsch and MB Quart.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Seven said:
lol rockfordfuckgate... RF has definately lost their touch over the years.. As far as subs, if you wanted something that just pounded.... LJ Audio W7's. Boston makes a nice set of speakers for clarity, as well as Klipsch and MB Quart.
Oops, this isn't the PL.

JL w7s are decent, but many other subwoofers compete, on a better price scale.

Hopefully I can get a few minutes at work tomorrow and contribute the first meaningful post to this thread...

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm running mb quart reference's 216's and 269's for my components going to a jl 4/300 amp and they sound awesome when I play a movie in my car.

·
大古古
1,287 Posts
DD (digital designs) they pound hard.......

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as my trunk the setup is complete for it. Just mapping out how its going to look. I have 2 12s Memphis competition M3 2005 edition. With 2 1000watt amp pushing those and i have a 500watt 4 channel for the cabin speakers.

Im just not sure what to do for the inside thats all. Arent MB quart really up there in price so i heard?
You wouldn't happen to have a web link to there website?

Its either go memphis but havne't heard much of a review from there component speakers or something else.

Thanks for the replies soo far

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Focal, MB Quart and Diamond Audio are the premiums that people mostly use on this site.

There are a few other brands, however those three are the most accessible.

http://www.MBQuart.com ;)

I haven't been able to find the others, focal.de? I cant remember.

Is the 500w 4ch RMS or peak? If it is RMS that sounds like it would be ideal for some high-end Focals or DA's. My MBQuarts retailed for 550 (the Premium class) however I got them for 280 off of a web site. Perfect, no flaws.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I personally don't know how the heck you guys can listen to MB Quarts. They are way to harsh in my book, talk about listening fatique and sibilance.......

Stick with soft dome tweets with your front component set!

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
xencloud said:
I personally don't know how the heck you guys can listen to MB Quarts. They are way to harsh in my book, talk about listening fatique and sibilance.......

Stick with soft dome tweets with your front component set!
I have been told this a lot! I just got an advanced hearing test and they tell me my ears are harmonically fine, so I know I'm not deaf, but I love the sound of the Quarts, I dont think they are harsh at all.

I have heard many setups and I found MB to be the most pleasing to me. Of course, this is my opinion...

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
go with beyma for speakers. they are closing the market on focal, and its a new company from spain. i have heard them, use them, they are incredible. and great price. they make good amps, but arent available for us market yet

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I know MB's have a huge following, it just makes me think of what else you've listened to. Have you ever heard a set of high end soft dome comps?

You might still like the MB's better, hard domes do give better detail in cymbals, and metal instruments, but voices usually sound unnatural. It depends on the kinds of music you listen to, or what your preferences are.........

But a high end soft dome is as good as it gets to my ears. I'd say go listen for yourself and see what sounds bes to you. I really haven't even given Focals a chance because I know they're metal dome tweets, lol I hear they're also VERY goo though.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Dynaudio all the way if money is not an issue.

I had boston acoustic and mb quarts and i prefered the bostons to the mb quarts just because the quarts are on the bright side and sound tinny. Now the quarts mids bass did provide ample more bass than the Bostons and just did not sound as natural as the boston pros.

It really comes down to your setup. Speakers are 75% of the battle having the correct wattage, crossover points and most importantly placement can make a world of difference.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
I have heard plenty of setups. I used to regularly attend SQ competitions.

I mainly listen to Techno/Trance/Breakbeatz, and there isnt as much emphasis on the voices as there is on the synth's. I listen to rock a little more.

I know what you mean, high end soft domes are great. I just felt that in the price range, the MB was excellent. I did not discount Focal or Diamond Audio, I just got the Quarts considerably cheaper.

Money isnt much of an issue, but I didnt want to sink 5 grand (instead I sank 3 :() into my stereo. I wanted to save a little for something else totally unrelated to my car...my home audio ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
lol..hes talking about getting 'revealing speaker' and you guys start talking about "pounding subs"..!

how the hell do you plan to hear the 'detail' in a "cough" (on a bad recording) out of your subwoofers in your trunk!?!?

some of the most know/popular/mainstream names in Car Audio for "detail" are Focal and MQ Quart. The most detailed and revealing speakers ive ever heard in a car are the SEAS Lotus Reference speakers. www.SEASLotus.com / www.MobileSQ.com - with an extreamly stiff Magnesium cone and awesome motor with copper shorting rings above and below the "T"-shaped pole piece (to block un-needed magnetic fields to go where theyre not wanted) to lower distortion, its one of the most accurate and detailed conventional drivers in the world (car, home, whereever)! BUT there IS a drawback! due to its extreamly stiff cone and very low internal dampening, its topend extension is rather limited to under 2khz and cone-breakup around 4.5khz - but this is counter-acted with a low-extending tweeter that plays pretty comfortable down to 2khz and a frequency notch-filter intergrated in the passive crossover. The aluminum version tweeter, IMO, has the best combination of detail, smoothness, lowend extension, and size (semi-compact / non full-format) ive heard for a conventional metal dome tweeter! Although, they dont bling it up like a lot of other brands, build-quality is top notch for all SEAS products! Give them a over a 100 watts RMS and the right tunning and theyll sing like no other!

however, if you havent really got an ear for Hifi Home Audio, and just want a set of very nice Car Audio sounding speakers, the Diamond D9 components are pretty damn nice! with a lot of midbass, smooth midrange, but kinda harsh treble range, its a very nice retail component setup for that "car audio" sound but can certainly be tuned close (to what i like, at least), but they wont have the transparancy and clarity of the SEAS Lotus woofers.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Funny you mention Seas. I use to purchase all my speakers from madisound. Seas, Scanspeak, morel, vifa, audax and dynaudio prior to them coming state side and pulling it from Madisound.

I completely agree if one has never heard a quality car or home system its really hard for a novice to understand HOW much better it can sound. We spent the day tweaking my system with the RTA just to get some reference points. Now I need to set the user eq settings for different styles of music.

Back on topic:: We all have our own opinions. Figure out your budget and what you are willing to spend on each section of your system. Headunit, amp, Front/rear speakers, sub, active/passive xover and install. Once we have that we can make recommendation based on that info.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts